• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Juan's M998 HMMWV

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After eyeballing humvees all year at Ft. Polk, I started dreaming in Feb of getting one. There was quite a regular supply with 10-30 on most weeks. I threw some bids but nothing stuck. I noticed that the 4 man green & camo ones were going for a premium along with a1's and winch trucks out of my budget. It seemed tan trucks did not go as high and 2 man were lower.

Patience paid off and when I first saw this one, I said this is the one. 21,400 miles and it looked like it had been pampered. All Led lights and newer headlights, new looking cargo and soft top cover, high back seats, solargizer, 3 mwo's and not a crappy paint job on the inside.

Karma is a wonderful thing. I threw down a bid and walked away as I had a mtg with my CEO and I knew I could not watch the auction live. It was a crappy mtg IMHO but there is goodwill. Checked the computer and I won! $6750 and I was ecstatic! Screw the mtg I just had.....

Like all of you I had to wait the patience game waiting for my EUC to clear but I had done one on a trailer in the spring and it cleared. Purchased 6/1 cleared 7/12. Actually did not catch it for 4 days as I got no email and for some reason had let 4 days go buy without checking. What a complete joke it was talking with DLA to check status. Those folks are morons and incompetent at best. No customer service skills what so ever.

Picked up 8/3 in a storage lot at DeRidder. John from GP was helpful and slaved it off and moved some others out of the way.

My son went along and also had Zev~GoldnEagle tagging along for just in case and back up. Garrett~Jeepsinker met us there as that is hometown for him. I appreciate the support and another layer of back up. Thanks Zev & Garrett!
Garrett saw that the fan time delay module was dripping epoxy and recommended that I dis-connect to prevent electrical smoke gremlins from escaping. Zev also provided a spare tire/rim. Be prepared :)

Plan was to drive home 200 miles. I was ready with a tow bar and plenty of tools to pull driveshafts if needed. Plan B pick up uhaul trailer if needed. Plan c I have AAA plus with a 100 miles free if I had to get it half way home and let AAA do the rest.

Thankfully she slaved right up and ran. Everything looked good. All fluids ok and no leaks anywhere. Took cargo cover off. Right mirror was backwards in my opinion, and I could not use it as is so we unbolted it, flipped the swing arm and re bolted it on. Aired up tires. Had food in De Ridder and topped off tank (1/2 full) and added grey can diesel clean. Fuel gauge worked! Yeah! :) Only pic of recovery at Mc D's getting human fuel.

No problems on recovery. Drove fine, steering is tight, shifted perfectly, and I thought it was pretty peppy. Did 65mph on Interstate no problem. Only advice I have is I wish I had brought my noise cancelling ear muffs with radio. Driver's soft door was bent in the back and I had unzipped passenger window. This puppy is loud on the road with out a door and soft top/soft door. I actually think it was nosier than my 5 ton.

All I could find wrong is both batteries did not come back, bad fan time delay module, and windshield washer pump dead. One of the rear seat highback panels was missing the cushion and the bottom seat lid but I plan on changing to 4 man set up anyway. Bonus in seat wells was 2 green funky cheap screwdrivers, antenna tie down rope with clip, tire jack with some tools, spent regular and blank 5.56 casings, and a neat surprise jammed in a corner. Tucked in a small plastic measuring cup wrapped in aluminum foil was someone's favorite green leafy residue.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Future Projects.....

I changed the batteries. My son works at O"reilly and they have a great employee discount that extends to family. Exide 6tL $135. Oil was real nasty when I picked it up and first thing I did after the batteries was an oil change. Tried the new XP series high performance wix oil filter 51060XP.

I was able to salvage the driver's bent soft door that looked like someone left open and had run into something. It somewhat straight and better than nothing till I get my X doors on.

The week before I picked it up, I was in Greenville for a dog show for my daughter who is akc owner/junior handler showing my favorite snoopy beagles. :clinto:Took a side trip to Wilmington North Carolina and visited Southern Metals. they have a contract to scrap USMC units from Ft. Bragg. Lots of cool stuff they can sell and some they can not. No slant backs, armour, or air drop bumpers available.

I did pick up a complete 2nd generation "new" tire jack with all the tools in a black bag, set of x doors, rear ratcheting tire carrier, fording exhaust, airdrop mudflaps, 200 amp alt, 2 rear seat lids with high back seats and some other small goodies.

Plan to convert to a 4 man set up, rear air drop bumper with mudflaps and tire carrier, x doors, 200 amp alt, dual radio shelf set up, and a/c.

Also picked up a rear seat belt kit, 200 amp alt "kit" so I have some work to do. Air drop bumper with all the brackets and braces on the way soon hopefully.

Attachments

Last edited:

DatGuyC

Looks like a nice truck, dont think I've seen one that came with LED lights already installed. Also right side mirror wasn't backwards, your supposed to look through the front windshield at it.

infidel got me

You are right. Whoever painted the interior really did do a nice, clean job. Good looking truck. I'm doing the exact same thing with my 2 man but in camo.

joeberg

You might want to go and buy a lottery ticket. You are very lucky. First purchase approval in 5 weeks and pickup 2 months from purchase is unheard of (my first took 8 months), not to mention that may be the cleanest M998 I have ever seen from GP and you drove it home @65mph without any problems? Congratulations, it looks awesome!

Action

You might want to go and buy a lottery ticket. You are very lucky. First purchase approval in 5 weeks and pickup 2 months from purchase is unheard of (my first took 8 months), not to mention that may be the cleanest M998 I have ever seen from GP and you drove it home @65mph without any problems? Congratulations, it looks awesome!
That wasn't his first EUC with GP. May be why it was so fast.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, Sir! I do feel very fortunate:clinto:

Yes it was my 2nd one this year. First was on a trailer in the spring.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a nice truck, dont think I've seen one that came with LED lights already installed. Also right side mirror wasn't backwards, your supposed to look through the front windshield at it.
I will have to look at that. It seemed counter intuitive and not as wide a field of vision.

DatGuyC

If it works the way we set it up why change it. I guess the main factor would be the clarity of the passenger door glass.
When I first got my truck I did the same thing and switched it around, but if I opened the passenger door it kept hitting the mirror and moving it. If you move the mirror bracket back and forth you can feel kind of a notch where its supposed to sit, then you adjust the mirror accordingly.

WalterMitty

Same here...I moved the passenger side mirror forward and look at it through the front glass. Otherwise, you will have to move it so close to the passenger door that it will get hit all the time with the passenger door.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck Juan! I'm surprised they let you drive it off the lot. I just saw florky's last week. He did a very similar conversion that came out very well.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it was already at a 3rd party storage lot, It did not seem an issue to drive off. I had already found it was off Ft. Polk but if not I would have tow bar a few miles off base.

I have a tach to install on my project list from you know who ;-)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few things done.

My bow was bent and sagging holding water on the cover so I changed it with one I had picked up from 3dAngus several years ago on a trailer/gen set purchase that he threw in as they were in the bed already. Had no idea 2 years ago I would get a hmmwv...

I also used some split foam pipe insulation around the bar to give it some more height. The cover velcro straps are plenty long enough to go around the bow and insulation.

Flushed the cooling system, heater, and overflow bottle. More rust nastys than I care to see. Pics of a/f as it came out and a week later with all the crap settled down. She has pretty neon green stuff now :)

Original rad cap was a A/C delco rc15. Changed to a Murray 7016 from my son's store at O'reilly

Pulled the fender brace off our parts m1038 with help from GoldnEagle for the fording exhaust. Installed the brace with its crazy 11 1/4 fasteners ( nuclear proof) and the exhaust I picked up from Southern Metals.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the 5lb fire extinguisher mounted. I really like how there is a plate already there with well nuts to mount the bracket directly. I think this is part of the commander's seat upgrade kit. No fuss and easy.

Mounted the dual radio shelf over the dog house.

Installed the fording intake tube. My windshield frame only had plugs with no rivet nuts. I did not have any nor the tool so I used Brass expansion nuts from home depot. 5/8 hole 1/4 coarse thread. Super easy to install and worked perfectly.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-20-tpi-x-5-8-in-Brass-Expansion-Nut-814378/204275875

There are at least 3 styles of precleaners for the HMMWV that I found and chose to go with the Sy-clone as I thought it looked the best of the 3 I found. Looks likes it belongs there.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks