• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This 8X8 makes a Tatra 813 look small....

Alaskossie

I realize this is not an ex-military vehicle, but it is so over-the-top that it deserves to be looked at. I took the photo from behind a storage yard fence in Anchorage, so it's not "up close and personal."

This is an 8X8 oilfield truck, used on the North Slope of Alaska. I don't know who the manufacturer is. None of the axles steer -- the truck is articulated in the middle.

If it had a model name, I guess "The Intimidator" would fit.

Alaskossie

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt that vehicle would be approved for highway use, CUCVFAN. It looks overwidth. The HEMTT is barely within legal guidelines for highway travel.

But you're right - it would be cool!

dma251

Re: RE: This 8X8 makes a Tatra 813 look small....

citizensoldier said:
I would like to test its car crushing ability.. :)

Take it from me - Crushing cars with a former military vehicle is both socially unbecoming and just plain bad form.

I used to be one of "those" people before the I was kindly schooled in the ways of goodness and light by the moral-majority here.

Please, don't try this yourself. No matter how strong the urge. :wink: :wink:

Attachments

123mack

Reminds me of some of the trucks the Army tested back in the 50's- such as the "Rollagon". Crismon's book has pictures of some of those one-off test trucks.

800summit

About 20 years ago they thought they would try a short cut to the mine, Got Stuck for a couple of days and had to offload the fuel. They left deep trenches at the end of the lake.

I know this because I have a hunting cabin on Mankomen Lake

Alaskossie

I'm not convinced that the truck I sent the original photo of is a Nodwell Commander. All of the Nodwell wheeled vehicles shown on their website are 2 and 3-axle, not 4-axle, and none is as close-coupled as the one I sent the photo of.

Alaskossie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks