• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-814a

packratt

Just got one of these and think I may have bought a boat anchor.

I didn't realize it was a 400hz generator and GovLiquidation didn't mention that in the auction description.

Is it possible to economically change it to 50/60hz and convert to single phase?

Also need to find a couple switches and gauges.
  • Master switch
  • VM-AM transfer switch
  • panel light switch
  • parallel Unit switch (not really necessary, don't plan on running 2 together)
  • fuel gauge
  • coolant temp gauge
  • oil pressure gauge

Facing the control panel on the left side just before the engine access door there is a module with what appears to be a coolant input/return line and 2 flexible stainless tubes which are hooked to nothing. What is the module and where do the flex tubes connect.

I guess the first thing I need to do to see if it runs is get the master switch (missing) so I can start it.

Any suggestions on where to find parts new or used?

Thanks
LE

packratt

If there isn't a cheap way to convert this to 50/60hz I guess I'll be parting it out and look more closely at the specs next time.

The Master Switch S1 is missing.

I'd like to make sure the engine is in working order before pulling and selling.

Disregarding the control panel and generating end of things can I just treat the motor part like a diesel tractor.

Fill fluids.
Install batteries.
Arc the starter.
Shut off fuel supply.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have all the parts for it but its 400hz only you cannot convert it but could use a motor generator to get 60hz power. Not the easiest thing to find and not economical to do.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, you can convert the generator. BUT, its really not worth the time and effort. The main AC alone is going to be a big chunk of money. THEN you need to go through the TM, and locate EVERY part that has a UOC, (usable on code) of YNN for the MEP-814A. Those parts need to be changed. ALSO, the GFI and 110 volt outlet and cover need to be installed, as the 400 hertz models do not have them. It ain't easy, but it is possible. Its the kind of job you give a retired person!

Guy

Packrat is right. That's the way we did it! We simply screwed the S-1 wires to a board, and used some roch clips and wire.

Last edited:

R Racing

My Hats Off to Guyfang !!! He helped me sort out my problem !! Now I need to find a NSN 6695-01-367-9723 Part number DYNT-17200-1 Transducer , motion.If anyone has a new 1 please PM me !! Thanks again Guyfang !!

packratt

Guy, I beg to differ on one minor point. The 110V outlet and cover don't need to be installed they are already there :D

Thanks for the response.

I've already decided to part it out and put the money toward getting a unit that is 50/60hz.

I plan on using the generator to be a backup for a house that is wired for single phase. Would my best bet be looking for one of the older MEP-004, MEP-005, or MEP-006 instead of one of the 800 series?

R Racing

There is a post on here about converting the MEP-004A -006A to single phase on here some where. From what I here you cant do it for the 800 series.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks