• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Red Dot A/C Install Instructions

98BlackHMC4

does anyone have the measurements for the tracer piece for the hatch? even if its something like 12" down from roof edge of hatch and 3" inwards type deal.
i know there is a hole that gets drilled based off the inside of the hatch but I'm missing the stencil for the rest and dont want to just go for it.
any help is appreciated.

ravzillah

Looking to Install an AC for the M998 but I do not want the Red Dot unit.
Instead i want to install this ==> https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-KIT-UN...4-V-/253008275929?vxp=mtr&hash=item3ae877e9d9
If only we could figure out how to install the compressor the rest should be fairly ez to do. The condenser fan goes on top of the radiator, the evaporator and blower unit can fit onto the radio tray. A similar setup was seen in a video on our forum.
For the compressor the red dot mount can be obtained from ebay as well ==> https://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-Air-...ash=item213abf23f1:g:E7EAAMXQzr1Rybow&vxp=mtr.
Im willing to give this a try if someone can tell me what compressor mount to buy. This is going to be half the cost of the Red Dot unit .....and possibly double the headache and frustration of the Red Dot kit. I do have a brand new red dot unit with me.
The biggest disadvantage of the Red Dot unit is the space it takes up in the cabin, my tunnel has a jeep seat for my 4 kids and I do not have the room in there. Besides it looks ugly on the outside also and it will not fit in my garage if it is over 7 ft tall.
Please help me get the correct style AC compressor mount.

Regards

Ravzillah

beckel

Greetings fellow Austinite!

That compressor looks like the same physical dimensions and mounting points as the Sanden compressor in the Red Dot kit. That being the case, you should be able to just use the standard red dot compressor mount which is readily available cheap on the auction sites.

This one should be the one you need assuming you have a serpentine setup:

Humvee AC Compressor & Tensioner Mounting Bracket 12469498 1 1/4 Ton M998 Hmmwv[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Looking to Install an AC for the M998 but I do not want the Red Dot unit.
Instead i want to install this ==> https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-KIT-UN...4-V-/253008275929?vxp=mtr&hash=item3ae877e9d9
If only we could figure out how to install the compressor the rest should be fairly ez to do. The condenser fan goes on top of the radiator, the evaporator and blower unit can fit onto the radio tray. A similar setup was seen in a video on our forum.
For the compressor the red dot mount can be obtained from ebay as well ==> https://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-Air-...ash=item213abf23f1:g:E7EAAMXQzr1Rybow&vxp=mtr.
Im willing to give this a try if someone can tell me what compressor mount to buy. This is going to be half the cost of the Red Dot unit .....and possibly double the headache and frustration of the Red Dot kit. I do have a brand new red dot unit with me.
The biggest disadvantage of the Red Dot unit is the space it takes up in the cabin, my tunnel has a jeep seat for my 4 kids and I do not have the room in there. Besides it looks ugly on the outside also and it will not fit in my garage if it is over 7 ft tall.
Please help me get the correct style AC compressor mount.

Regards

Ravzillah
Humvee AC Compressor & Tensioner Mounting Bracket 12469498 1 1/4 Ton M998 Hmmwv[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited:

ravzillah

Greetings fellow Austinite!

That compressor looks like the same physical dimensions and mounting points as the Sanden compressor in the Red Dot kit. That being the case, you should be able to just use the standard red dot compressor mount which is readily available cheap on the auction sites.

This one should be the one you need assuming you have a serpentine setup:

Humvee AC Compressor & Tensioner Mounting Bracket 12469498 1 1/4 Ton M998 Hmmwv

Humvee AC Compressor & Tensioner Mounting Bracket 12469498 1 1/4 Ton M998 Hmmwv
Hey Brother,
Thanks for the input . I really appreciate it.

I have looked at that mount before and thought I read somewhere it was for a newer kind of compressor also known as the pancake compressor dont know how it differs from the regular one but the pancake compressor surely looks much flatter or shorter.==>https://www.ebay.com/itm/HMMWV-H1-D...ash=item2123ccc954:g:a34AAOSwA29Y4TYT&vxp=mtr
The newer armored hmmwvs that came with a factory installed AC had this type of mount in them with a pancake compressor.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Again not a 100% sure how it is different, something to do with a older piston compressor VS pancake machine jibberish.

I am considering selling off the red dot unit and going in for the ebay universal unit and fabricating or hunting for parts for the compressor mounting. The second best idea I have is to buy the dang universal unit and taking the mount out of my red dot kit and trying an install.... first checking to see if the mount will fit the compressor if not then ship the AC unit back to them. If yes then just buy a new mount kit from ebay for my red dot AC kit and sell it off as a whole.

Currently the mount on the red dot unit I have is ==> https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-DOT-RD...ash=item2caea5ecb0:g:2E4AAOSwBP9UWoJ5&vxp=mtr
This one looks like it should fit the humvee just fine but my only doubt is if it gonna fit the compressor im interested in or not. Just didnt want to sink in the $$ and be disappointed.

As far as the serpentine setup I like the idea of not messing with the 5 belt pulley on the fan at all, currently have a 4 belt setup...thinking of just leaving my steering pump on one belt and use the other belt for the AC compressor. The red dot kit has a 5 belt pulley which needs to be installed behind the fan....which looks like a **** load of work... draining fluids and opening other potential barrels of worms!!!...What are your thoughts on that?

Where in Austin are you located? Im just north in cedar park.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards

Ravzillah;)

beckel

Sent you a PM.

The mount I posted is for your compessor if you have the serpentine setup. Since you have the v-belt setup you will need to use the mount you have shown. Replacing the pulley is a PITA for sure. You do not need to remove the radiatoer stack but you do need to be flexible enough to reach between the fan blades to remove the bolts on the clutch. Count on the pulley replacement being a several hour task if its your first time. Subsequent swaps are about an hour.

ravzillah

Did your AC work out using the bracket?
Hey ant929.
So I have a m998 with a 6.2 pulley setup ....this mount is not going to work. That mount is for a pancake compressor which came in the A2 trucks or 998s with an upgraded engine to 6.5 with a serpentine belt.
6.2 needs a 5 belt pulley for the fan and the red dot compressor mount.

ravzillah

I got a complete brand new in box red dot kit. Havent installed it yet ....not jow enough in texas yet...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

rabbitears

My A/C fans are not get power. The last location I get power is the last connection before the wires go to the roof. From there the wires look like they go into two different boxes. Anyone know what these are? Are they power regulators? Are the fans 24 volts also where I can rewire directly from the last place I have power?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a compressor mounting kit for the Sanden style compressor, (came with the 5 grove water pump pulley) I have everything but the compressor, does anyone know the Sanden part number that was used with the V belt install (4 digit# like 4371 etc.) seems there are several different pulley dia. available on these compressors.

Last edited:

kromane

The sanden is U4311 or 4311. I got mine off the "bay" for about $190. You will want to confirm the pulley on the compressor before you buy to make certain it is the one you require. Good luck with a "cool" summer:)

Bigfan

The sanden is U4311 or 4311. I got mine off the "bay" for about $190. You will want to confirm the pulley on the compressor before you buy to make certain it is the one you require. Good luck with a "cool" summer:)
What is your belt number. Mine ate the belt having issues finding one that fits.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I admit I have not read all the material, is there any mention of how much oil this system should take?
Just curious as my install will be different anyway, I am installing a 37K evaporator on the roof (inside) behind the B pillar (helmet top)
On a custom install such as this there is only one way to properly assess how much oil is needed and it is a pain to say the least because oil will accumulate in any low spots in the suction line between the evaporator and the compressor, Sanden has the procedure on their web site.
Basically you run the AC at a specific compressor RPM, shut the system down, blow it down, remove the compressor, drain and measure the amount of oil in the compressor, then add or remove oil to compensate.
Even on an established systems the hoses (suction line) must be run exactly the same on every install or the listed amount of oil may not be correct.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks