• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brutus' debut

dogtags

Military Veterans Museum in Oshkosh, WI along with Roger Blink have recently recreated "Brutus." Brutus made his debut at 2016 Vietnam Guntruck Gathering. He will now reside at the Museum's Motor Pool until called up for duty again.

13934599_10153793029438616_3117733051582272032_n.jpg
Here is how Brutus looked the first time he rolled outside after completion, just in time for Gathering.

13906824_10153793029448616_4142416368105995566_n.jpg
Dave Perrine (crew member of Brutus 1970), Roger Blink (Driver of Brutus 1969) and Verne Pearson (NCOIC of Brutus 1969) (left to right) along with many Museum volunteers all worked on Brutus to get him out the door on time. It was very humbling to work with these fine men and hear some of their stories.

Gun Truck Gathering 2016 019.jpg
Roger Blink is being interviewed at Gathering for an upcoming documentary on Gun Trucks.

Gun Truck Gathering 2016 042.jpg
L to R - Verne Pearson (NCOIC of Brutus 1969), Steve Peters (NCOIC of Brutus 1968), and Roger Blink (Driver of Brutus 1969).

Gun Truck Gathering 2016 047.jpg
Gun Trucks lined up in Chattanooga TN. Front to rear are Brutus, Untouchable, and Ace of Spades.

Gun Truck Gathering 2016 050.jpg
Loaded up for a downtown event.

Gun Truck Gathering 2016 052.jpg
Gathering banner.

Gun Truck Gathering 2016 054.jpg
Remembering their sacrifices.

~Robert

Etedeschi72

That's a beautiful truck. I'm planning on building a gun truck in the near future so I've got one question for you. Exactly what black did you paint it ( who makes it, what shade and so on )?

dogtags

That's a beautiful truck. I'm planning on building a gun truck in the near future so I've got one question for you. Exactly what black did you paint it ( who makes it, what shade and so on )?
I will have to find out from Roger Blink, one of the original drivers of Brutus, as he's the one that ordered the paint for this recreation.

I hope to have an answer for you soon.

~Robert

dogtags

Roger remembers the truck being painted "coke black." Coke being a derivative from coal and supposedly the color of 1960's Chevy engine bays. That said, we could not find a "coke black," so Roger went off his memory and came up with the color mix.

Here's the code direct from the paint guy, Rick.

PPG Omni Single Stage paint
MTK46118 Olive Drab
MTK37030 Black
Mix 4:1
then mix 4:2 with flat agent

Let me know if you have any more questions.

vtdeucedriver

Roger remembers the truck being painted "coke black." Coke being a derivative from coal and supposedly the color of 1960's Chevy engine bays. That said, we could not find a "coke black," so Roger went off his memory and came up with the color mix.

Here's the code direct from the paint guy, Rick.

PPG Omni Single Stage paint
MTK46118 Olive Drab
MTK37030 Black
Mix 4:1
then mix 4:2 with flat agent

Let me know if you have any more questions.
About 5 yrs ago I asked the guy who built Brutus how he painted it..........He is no longer with us now but I still have the info.

dogtags

About 5 yrs ago I asked the guy who built Brutus how he painted it..........He is no longer with us now but I still have the info.
Are you talking about Wayne Prescott? Roger said Wayne originally painted it OD.
When Roger left in November 1970, it was still OD.
When Dave Perrine served in 1971, it was black. Roger thinks the color change happened shortly after he left in 11/70. Roger decided to paint the replica Brutus black as that's what most guys remember the color as.

~Robert

vtdeucedriver

I am talking about Wayne. Nope, on the OD. Wayne had it all black with an OD green mix. The gun box was removed in early 69 and installed on another chassis. This is where it went from a non- drop side to a drop side truck. Gun box remained Black/OD mix but truck was never painted and remained a factory original OD green Semi-gloss OD and that's how Roger drove it with the shortened exhaust stack. The truck was still OD green when Jimmy Callison was lost on Nov 21, 1970. The truck was repaired and armament changes were made but never painted. This is where the mini gun was moved to the center of the box and a single aft .50 cal was added at the rear. The new driver named Ron made some detail changes to it but he was only on it for 3 months until they lost Larry in Feb. It was then of early 71 when the truck was completely painted gloss black to match the other GT's in the platoon and the final armament changes were made by adding the 2nd .50 to the rear mount and moving the single mini to one wall and adding the 2nd one to the opposite side. Only 71-72 and the 68 crews remember it all black. 69-70, the truck was very distinct and well, I am back to my project once again after a nasty divorce and it will reflect how Brutus looked on Nov 20, 1970 the day before Jimmy was lost.

Special T

Wow VERY COOL! I know Vern and heard he made the trip out There! He told he me wants to make a tribute truck and has one for the project, but work gets in the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks