• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery Com Shelter??? Trailer or CUCV?

coachgeo

Anyone know anything about this shelter? Can't find any other pics like it anywhere. Seller says it's Fiberglass and thought it was off an 800 or 880 but??? .
comM880.jpgComM880_2.jpgComM880_3.jpg
Thanx in advance for any help. Want to know if it is insulated sandwich or?? ...... seller seems to really know nothing about it. Molded corners might help identify it?

UPDATES:

. Seems after several guesses, it has been narrowed down to being from a CUCV. Thus why it is in this forum now. Pics of a similar version are further below.

. An AN/ASM 684 number has been shown to go with this model but that lead is not yet yielding any information.

Last edited:

coachgeo

thank you Thank you Thank you to the Mod. for moving thread to this forum. Think she's found a home now. Couldn't really figure out where this thread would be best located without posting around to solve some of the mystery first.

Look forward to any input folk can offer about this Com. shelter. such as are they insulated, structural shelters similar to S250 and the likes orrr just a fiberglass box.. or are they Kevlar??

Anyone got a Model #? or something else that would be a good term to search with??? would be happy to search by that to get more info.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Evil Dr. Porkchop posted a photo of the Model # - AN/ASM-684
Yes saw that. My apologies should have mentioned been searching by that route already. No usable info yet from that search. So far by those terms (still trying though) is coming up with mostly sites that will search Govt. Auctions and suppliers for you after you pay a fee. They don't really offer much information or even photos.

Again thanx.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Contact the seller and have him give you the data plate info should be on or around the door.

coachgeo

Contact the seller and have him give you the data plate info should be on or around the door.
judging by the pics, when viewing the shot facing door end, it appears to be missing. Left message with spouse requesting more detail just in case am viewing it wrong.

UPDATE...... Hopefully am wrong. Found picture after MUCH searching of a data plate on another one and the needed info appears to be on the bottom plate... with top one faded out similar to photo provided by seller.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=535912&d=1420587581

Last edited:

coachgeo

...Left message with spouse requesting more detail just in case am viewing it wrong....
They emailed me and Data plate says

AN/ASM-684
SERIAL NO. T 89 040 01
CONTRACT NO._____________
TOBY HANNA ARMY DEPOT U.S.
CUBAGE 1216 cu.ft.
Which unfortunately is information have found other ways..... and that info has yet to lead to any info about construction of the box, or any other specifications etc etc. hmmm...
Assume the Cubic feet listed is including truck.

Cubic Feet of shelter alone by the dimension numbers from seller; is approx 314 cubic feet. In comparison, an S788 is approx. 295 and a S250 is said to be about half the interior space of a 788. BUTTT.. key is interior. In building an expedition camper or trailer out of any one of these; one will use the not so hidden "exterior" space in each of the shelters as much as they would use interior space. Thus with this in mind the overall dimensions of each including exterior space, makes them all very close in size of usable space while maintaining a low overall height when compared to say an S280 which is 2 feet taller near about.

The one being discussed here is the lowest in height between each of the three by about 4". For comparison, a 404 Unimog Radio box; which is just high enough for 5'8" me to sit in. It is only 4'9" tall and one being discussed here is 5'5" tall. In a perfect world Id want the old Radio Box.

Hopefully, Evil Dr. Porkchop can shed some light since he's owned a few.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Here is the thread I was talking about.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116761-She-is-finally-home!&highlight=
I've seen a total of 5 of these including the one you're looking at. 2 sold out of Camp Johnson here in Colchester a few years back, and it looks like the one in the thread I've linked came from VT as well. The 4th is the one pictured on the single axle trailer that I bought from a surplus dealer in VT, but I don't know where it came from originally.

I can't speak about the inner construction of them because I never did too much with them. The walls are thick and pretty heavy duty. The shelter attaches to the truck with aluminum cradles that go around the crossmembers of the box. They seem to be well made, one of mine had tons of technical manuals in it for many years without any moisture problems.

coachgeo

Ok from what the Dr. says..... Im going to chance it. Picking it up soon. Made commitment to seller and he's agreed as well. This is JUST the Com Body though. Not the whole truck. Whole truck was NOT available. Will use this as a Camper Box on my LMTV Bed. Remaining bed space will be for Motorcycle etc. Also part of the box is missing. (the Cab over portion. ) If I ever swap to a different box for camper body will let everyone here know this Com Body is for sell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks