• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greaseable polyurethane sway bar bushings

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you didn't try and compress the bushing ? I know you used a jack, but that doesn't compress the bushing. In our bus shop I've had to use a 4 ton "porta-power" unit to compress the bushings. They can be that tight.
If there is to much material here on the top flat it will never compress with the wrong ones. With his Polyurethane bushings he "is" making they fit perfect.
Think to keep the peace around here an apology to Awesomeness is in order.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

If there is to much material here on the top flat it will never compress with the wrong ones. With his Polyurethane bushings he "is" making they fit perfect.
Think to keep the peace around here an apology is in order.
Why are you bringing up an old post ?
This is the third or fourth time you have brought up an old post that I made, trying to prove me wrong. Why are you so obsessed with trying to prove me wrong ?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen, not in the forums.

If you can't resolve your issues civilly, you can use the "ignore" option.

Badmiker

Step 1. Click on the user you want to ignore - the username (like <---- badmiker)

Step 2. Click 'view profile'

Step 3. When at the user profile click 'ignore user'

Step 4. Never have to view their posts again. Unless they are quoted by another member. Then their post will show in your view... unless you are blocking the quoter too...

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I Apologize for bringing things to this board.
Just thought it was low blow to call Awesomeness a liar and to prove he was making the product. Plus Rusty had no business doing so as I believe some lies might come to light on his part.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Ah cool. I was unaware that the trailers used a different bushing.

The ones on my '08 truck are still solid but the ones on my M1082 started to break down as soon as I went to recover it.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the bar on the M1082 trailer is about 3/8" smaller in diameter than the one on the trucks. Makes sense, since it weighs less. I should have the mold done for those soon (in the coming weeks).

I just haven't gotten to the uppers yet. Honestly, this all started because my lower bushings were gone, and good replacements were unavailable. It's all time and money after that. It probably took me 40 hours of work (e.g. design, fabricating the master pattern, making the mold, etc.) to get from idea to a finished bushing. On top of that, it cost several hundred dollars (even considering that I own lots of the expensive equipment needed, such as vacuum pumps, vacuum chambers, pressure casting chambers, 3D printers, CNC mill, etc.).

Doing the uppers also means I would need measurements, so either disassembling my truck (which isn't broke), or buying a bushing just to get measurements. Ultimately, I did do that, and paid like $50 for an upper bushing to get measurements off of, so I have that now. I made a CAD model from that, and next will be designing the master patterns (which are different than just the CAD model of the bushing, because it has to take into account what tools will fabricate it, such as 3D printer bed size and orientation, as well as how the mold of it will get made, such as pour spouts). This is all true of any of the other bushings people want... upper and lower cab mounts, etc.

Green Mountain Boys

Yeah, It is not the cost that is the problem. It is convincing the wife there is a need. I already have a 5 ton trailer so another trailer is going to be a tough sell.
I got the sway bar bushings for my truck from you back in September of 2018. They have been holding up very well. I use my truck for work and it is usually carrying a load. Very happy with them. Thanks

DawGoneIt

Just weeks after getting my M1078, the sway bar bushings fell apart, and were soon completely gone. I decided to make some heavy duty polyurethane replacements, and make them [optionally] greaseable.

Here's the CAD model so far...
View attachment 640394

I 3D printed a prototype, to test fit, and everything looks good.

What do you guys think? Do the bushings break apart often? Are others missing them too?
I appreciate the speed in which these bushings got to me. I attached a photo of what one of old bushings off of my projects LMTV look like compared to the new ones. I plan on installing the zerk grease fittings that came with the bushings as well. They look great! Thanks Guido!

Attachments

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the speed in which these bushings got to me. I attached a photo of what one of old bushings off of my projects LMTV look like compared to the new ones. I plan on installing the zerk grease fittings that came with the bushings as well. They look great! Thanks Guido!
Wow, those old ones look like they are carved out of canned dog food.

bhound

Hey!I got a brain drizzle,could you incorperate graffite or some other kind of lube in the material when printing,sorta like oillite bronze is impregnated with oil?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey!I got a brain drizzle,could you incorperate graffite or some other kind of lube in the material when printing,sorta like oillite bronze is impregnated with oil?
Probably, but I'm not sure there would be much mechanical benefit, especially over greasing them.

Graphite powder can be mixed in as a filler to the polyurethane liquid. I've done this with other filler minerals, on other projects, for other reasons. I'm guessing you would have to add quite a bit to get lubrication advantages, but doing that is going to significantly reduce the flexibility and strength of the polyurethane rubber. Looks like a quart of graphite powder is about $20: https://www.amazon.com/Fasco-Epoxies-Graphite-Powder-Quart/dp/B076H7QVHF/

I also wouldn't be looking forward to the mess that having large quantities of fine graphite powder around would cause, haha.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks