• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greaseable polyurethane sway bar bushings

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just weeks after getting my M1078, the sway bar bushings fell apart, and were soon completely gone. I decided to make some heavy duty polyurethane replacements, and make them [optionally] greaseable.

Here's the CAD model so far...
Bushing.png

I 3D printed a prototype, to test fit, and everything looks good.

What do you guys think? Do the bushings break apart often? Are others missing them too?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I had searched for, and seen, a couple of the other posts.

From an engineering perspective, urethane bushings are made firmer and greaseable, ideally. It results in less unwanted give in the bushing (better "anti-sway"), but with grease can actually result in better articulation still.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First one done. I've tested it, and it fits well. I used UV resistant black pigment too, to make it survive longer. I can't fully install it yet, because in order to use the greaseable feature, I have to drill and tap the bracket, and install a grease fitting. I'll order some up, and hopefully I can get it done next week.

SwayBarBushing1.jpg

coachgeo

hopefully lawyers and liability insurance won't scare you out of making these available to others with an FMTV. Good luck with your test. Excited to see how it works for you.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hopefully lawyers and liability insurance won't scare you out of making these available to others with an FMTV. Good luck with your test. Excited to see how it works for you.
No, I don't mind. Do other people need them? Your post before made it sound like only once a year or so does someone come around looking for some. I took that to mean they weren't useful to other people.

coachgeo

No, I don't mind. Do other people need them? Your post before made it sound like only once a year or so does someone come around looking for some. I took that to mean they weren't useful to other people.
sorry for not communicating well. IMHO On the contraire... they are needed and would be useful. Considering there is not a whole lot of these trucks out there being sold every year to civilians and they are all aging/aged already ...... once a year is a lot and will only continue to have increased need for these rubber parts to be replaced IMHO. Especially since another member; who like you, has had to resort to making their own since they could not find them available otherwise.

Butttt...... please also defer to others thoughts on this too. There are others in here who know far more than I do.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I just got my M1078, and it seems like every week I find another rubber or plastic part that is dying. I just got a bunch of new zip ties, as I noticed those have started breaking off. I just got the gasket to replace on the air pump, that I noticed was leaking air. I just replaced both seals in the cab latch. Now I'm making these bushings! Another year of this, and she'll be like new again.

PanamaMV

Another bushing thread (tie rod bushings) got me thinking about this one. Wonder if Energy Suspensions makes a universal one big enough?
To check see energysuspension.com/universal-products/sway-bar-bushings.html

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another bushing thread (tie rod bushings) got me thinking about this one. Wonder if Energy Suspensions makes a universal one big enough?
To check see energysuspension.com/universal-products/sway-bar-bushings.html
I did check, and Energy Suspension (and other similar providers) don't have anything close to this size.

I've made several sets of these for forum members now, and they seem to be performing very well. I have been slowly making more, as time allows.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't make the cab bushings, yet. If I can get my hands on some, or some precision measurements of some, I could make them too.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those that have my sway bar bushings... how are you liking them?

I've had a chance to reverse engineer a good upper cab bushing, and hope to make one of those in the next several weeks.

VVFD

Awesomeness, thanks for having this product available. We got our pair installed and they look a lot better than the crumbling rubber original bushings. Our hanger bracket was a little different than the drawing that came with the kit; but it was not hard to figure out the new measurements we needed to drill the grease fitting hole. Here are some pictures of our installation.
1.Old bushings. 2.Cleaning up the sway bar. 3.Hanger bracket with drilled hole. 4.Bushing installed on the sway bar. and 5.Completed installation.
This is a great kit to purchase and easy to install.
IMG_6651.jpgIMG_6736.jpgIMG_6737.jpgIMG_6738.jpgIMG_6739.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks