• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Dodge and late model driveline build questions

VintageIron

Hello and thanks for taking time to read this. My name is Dave, and I'm a newbie to this site. I've had an interest in the WWII Dodges since I was a kid, now that I near retirement, I have a desire to look into the idea of merging a flat fendered Dodge with a modern driveline/chassis. I live in Ohio, and would like to drive down old Rte.66 to the southwest, spending time in the great national parks out there. For any question below, my goal is a vehicle with the reliability and use of a late model vehicle.

Okay, background stated, I have a small amount of knowledge of the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Dodges, by numbers a 3/4 ton would be the most likely found, a Carryall would be ideal, and yes I know how scarce and desirable they are, an enclosed cab, some room for the dog, and stuff, so a Carryall, or panel truck..

Do I understand correctly that the 1/2 ton's had a 116 inch wheelbase, and the 3/4 tons a 98 inch wheelbase? ( not including ambulances which had a longer wheelbase )

Has anyone built up one of the above vehicles with a modern driveline/chassis? If so, is it best to use the original frame and replace the driveline/suspension, or, place the WWII Dodge body on a late model chassis?

Any info shared would be greatly appreciated, tips on which shows to attend to see the old Dodges, tips on which drivelines/chassis are least problematic and of course any publications or other websites that would perhaps lead to the type of WWII Dodge mentioned above.

again, thanks for taking time to read this!

Dave

tankdriver

Welcome aboard...

Sorry I can't help you with your project. My knowledge is limited to actually restoring back to original.

For what you are wanting to do, a WC53 Carryall, would do well.

Here is a link, that they will build you what you are looking for, but it is big bucks. You pick what engine you want, what transmission you want, transfer case....etc.....

Here is the link, check it out......

http://www.legacyclassictrucks.com/i-24496481-legacy-carryall-conversion-build-your-own.html

I have no connections with this place, but the look REALLY nice.

F145937673.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would rebuild an original. I rebuilt a 1945 WC-51 and it turned out great. There are a lot of sources for parts including Vintage Power Wagons and Midwest Military. Go for it.!!!!

VintageIron

Thanks tankdriver, Tinwoodsman, and hndersonj, I've seen Legacys' work, it's fantastic, but above my paygrade. I've customized a few cars, and am lucky to have friends who have skills I can learn from, including welding, I guess finding the WC53 would be the best place to start.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks