• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: Steering shaft replacement?

I_Publius

I'm having trouble disassembling the upper steering shaft from the lower steering shaft? TM manual says to separate, but not how to get them unstuck.

How do I separate the upper from the coupling?

I have most of the original column out, but can't get this part to come apart.

Suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cucvrus

Spray some lubricant on the slip joint of the intermediate shaft between the column and the steering box. Take the M10 bolt from the bottom of the column shaft under the hood. Tap the column towards the steering box. Then take the 7/16 / 11MM 12 point bolt out of the end at the steering box shaft and tap that off. You now have the intermediate shaft removed. Clean it up and reinstall in the reverse of removal. I hope that helps.

I_Publius

Wound up having a full weekend with family. The plan is to try at it later this afternoon. I'll give an update at that time. :)

I_Publius

Got it out.

Used heat, a hammer, and put the steering wheel back on temporarily to have leverage for pulling.

Question now is whether or not the coupler needs to be replaced while I'm there?

How do you know if it needs to be replaced and if it does, are the parts readily accessible?

I'm replacing the original with a tilt column from an '86 civi K5.

Pics below.

cucvrus

I would get a replacement intermediate shaft whether it be used or new. That rag joint needs replaced. They do have a U joint replacement shaft but I never used one and do not know the details or part number. I hope that helps.

I_Publius

That matches with what my gut was telling me. I'll start looking for a replacement while everything is apart.

Thanks!

cucvrus

I googled it and found several choices. Some as high as $225. That seems like the way to go. Unless you have a YOUPULLIT near by. Good Luck. If you need to reuse your intermediate shaft and just replace the rag joint.

richingalveston

save yourself time later, and get better steering. purchase a bourgeson steering shaft. replacement. It has all u joints, no rag joint. much better and last longer.

cucvrus

Longer then 32 years? Wow I will be surprised if the truck even exists then. I would say the original rag joint lasted 30+ years and is still going it did well in my world. :)

richingalveston

they only last a few years in good condition with no slop,
They last forever with all the slop.

most of the time the steering slop is in the rag joint and not the box
get a non rag joint and you will know the difference.

I_Publius

I went to the Bourgeson site and could not find the part without a rag joint. I was looking in the k5 Blazer section. Do I need to search for another application?

I_Publius

Working on the new shaft from Borgerson. Ordered the one that should work, but now I'm worried that the donor column does not fit the new U joint.

The new joint does not want to slip on the steering column upper shaft.

I have tried tapping it gently, but it's not going on.

Any suggestions?

I_Publius

Working on the new shaft from Borgerson. Ordered the one that should work, but now I'm worried that the donor column does not fit the new U joint.

The new joint does not want to slip on the steering column upper shaft.

I have tried tapping it gently, but it's not going on.

Any suggestions?

Bump

cucvrus

Yes that definitely looks like it is not going to fit. That looks expensive. Sorry I can't help you. I still have the rag joints on all my trucks. I am sure my new Chevy has u joints but that also has electric steering. On that replacement are you supposed to use set screws?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks