• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: Steering shaft replacement?

I_Publius

That is what I was afraid of. I was hoping to get that finished up this weekend, but it looks like I'll be delayed at least another week.

Yes, those are set screws. I've been told that it keeps it tight and gets rid of all play in the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

IMHO. I would have bought a new replacement rag joint and been back on the road. These old trucks just last and last with the original parts even if they are made in China. I have many on the road and they just keep on going. Live and learn. Peace Man. Happy Labor day.

richingalveston

I have a tilt from 87 burb, went fine. I had to tap it on at the column end and remove the set screws completely until installed. there is a hole In the column end, one set screw goes thought the hole if I remember correctly.

you have to trim both shaft sections to get the proper collapse length.
you may have some burs on the shaft end of the column so make sure it is clean.

good luck, unless you have a pre 80's column that shaft should fit, looks the same as the one I used.

Rich

rustystud

I might still go back to the original rag joint. Ugggg. ;(

Don't give up on the shaft yet. They are really far superior to the original "rag" coupler. Make sure there is no burrs on either shaft, then making sure you are "straight" in alignment, try and tap it in again. It is a tight fit. Then make sure you install the "through" bolt before you tighten up the set screw.
Just so you know, this is a "D" shaft connector so it only goes on "one" way.

I_Publius

Guess I will try to do it today. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to beat up on that shaft too much.

Last edited:

I_Publius

Got it on, finally. I just kind of "smoothed" the edges around the column shaft for a little bit and then it went on.

I_Publius

OK… I have the steering wheel cleaned, steering shaft is painted, and I'm ready to cut the shaft. How is best to measure the shaft? Use the original shaft to measure and then cut?

richingalveston

is column in truck? saw pics with it out.
If so install both ends with the shaft separated so you can lay them side by side and mark them. You cut them so that there is 4 to 6 inches of collapsibility.
you can judge how much to make it collapse by measuring how much your old one collapses. make the new one the same.

need to have column and box mounted in truck for best results.

It is for safety when you get in a wreck the steering wheel does not kill you so just make sure you match the stock at a minimum with regards to how much it can collapse.

I_Publius

It's not in the truck, but I'll go that route. :)

So, if I fully expand the old shaft and measure, I should be able to make the new one the same length and I'll be good?

richingalveston

it Is an expensive shaft to screw up, it takes two minutes to make the cuts and then re-install the shaft once all the parts are in the truck

get it all in the truck before you cut it. Otherwise it is a guessing game

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post pics directly to site.
This will help in future searches for someone else as the links will eventually go dead.

That new shaft looks nice.
Might have to go that route myself.

I_Publius

Post directly to site? Instead of posting via Tapatalk app? If that's the case, I was not aware of the dead links issue. I can definitely post directly through SS.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post directly to site? Instead of posting via Tapatalk app? If that's the case, I was not aware of the dead links issue. I can definitely post directly through SS.

Yes please.
When I read all the old threads a while back a lot of picture links posted like yours were not active anymore.
I think your thread is worth keeping and eventually (years) no one will be able to see the pics, unless it's loaded
directly to SS site.
Im surprised no one had mentioned that until me.

Thanks

Ilikemtb999

Yes please.
When I read all the old threads a while back a lot of picture links posted like yours were not active anymore.
I think your thread is worth keeping and eventually (years) no one will be able to see the pics, unless it's loaded
directly to SS site.
Im surprised no one had mentioned that until me.

Thanks
it would be nice if the forum was a bit more easy to actually do that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks