• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was Broke down in Redlands Ca. Phoenix AZ to San Francisco 800miles

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sucks to hear this happened, at least you made it to a familiar shop. We're all pullin for ya, is that a true mk48? I must be missing something.
Seems this is just a 939 truck with a different cab on it. Maybe he just needs a fairly common T-case VS an expensive hard to find one. Either way, its not going to be fun to swap out. The transmission I did in a 939 sucked to no end, hope the T-case is easier!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Seems this is just a 939 truck with a different cab on it. Maybe he just needs a fairly common T-case VS an expensive hard to find one. Either way, its not going to be fun to swap out. The transmission I did in a 939 sucked to no end, hope the T-case is easier!

The Mk48 swapped 5 ton in the first post. If someone has the axle straps they can towbar him somewhere. or to san fran. A user had bought a M939 truck awhile back with a broke input shaft when someone tried to steal it.

Nick02

Here are the pics, the truck kept puking oil, I still cant figure out why but there is no reason why a M939 should be getting 5mpg. I hope it was just the engine overworking itself from the transfer-case.
engine oil.jpg
engine oil2.jpg
I smelled the horrible smell of gear oil when I entered palm springs, within a couple minutes the cab filled with smoke to the point where I could no longer see or breathe and the truck shook extremely violently.
input bearing 2.jpg
input bearing.jpg
Luckily nothing caught seriously on fire, time for the heavy wrecker.
big tow.jpg
heavy wrecker backup.jpg
Here is the transfercase video, this is after I pulled the driveshaft. It no longer shifts but seems to move around the lot just fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jEtQ4nEi4k&feature=youtu.be

So we got the truck out of palm springs, it currently is in Redlands CA but I cant keep it there forever.
I have to start my new job in SF here tomorrow so I have to figure out a plan but I got lucky on the housing situation as I found a trailer to live out of in Fremont.

I am thinking
1. Transport it up here somehow and fix it closer (limited by height, storage location, who can tow it etc)
2. Fix the truck in the spot where it is parked (extremely limited in terms of tools, my time, cant remove camper to access the top of t-case, engine is still in ??? condition and the electrical harness for the lights is fubar. The mountain range coming out of LA is one of the most dangerous and crazy I have ever seen.)
3. Move the air dryer, drop the transfer-case and directly drive the rear set of axles with a custom made driveshaft (still have to deal with issues above, but probably way faster and reliable then installing a new t-case)

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Takes about 2 hours to do a transfer case. Slide the. Camper back and out the top. Or back and out in front of the tandem.

5mpg loaded and even towing that truck is normal. And anything over 2000rpms.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or find someone local with a medium heavy bar or on the west coast in general that has the axle straps. A lowboy due to the height is going to be an ouch

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Nick02

All FIXED! Took a week to fix it doing "stealth" work in the RV storage unit... haha just have to gain the courage to drive it again! Just do not know if my future is in CA or AZ just yet.
Still has no headlights or running lights, there is a serious short somewhere, engine is running excellent still seems to have some blowby and leaking a bit somewhere between the head and block.
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0970.jpg
IMG_0979.jpg
IMG_0980.jpg
IMG_0983.jpg

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still has no headlights or running lights, there is a serious short somewhere...

Just a very, very crazy wild long shot... check your engine to frame grounds, to make sure your not sending residual electrical power trough your drive line (ie transfer case input bearing)

yokurto

Hey Nick02 my nephew took a pic of your rig when it was sitting in Redlands, wanted to know if i knew you. lol and now here is your story, small world. I am just at the top of Cajon pass north of Anaheim if you need any help let me know....

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nick02 I give you a congrats for handling that situation in the manner that you did. We all drive our trucks expecting the best and hopefully prepared for the worst although your situation could have been worse it was still a dead on the road truck, which stinks! Your good even mindedness got you out of the bad situation and back on the road, you handled it very well and I again say congrats on keeping things in focus and dealing with it! Nicely Done.
Karl

Nick02

So some things changed, I just changed my life instead of moving the truck! I am now a resident of Southern California.... haha!

But seriously I got a great job in North Hollywood building electric class 8 trucks and my boss said I can keep the truck at work (or his ranch in Malibu)!

So I am going to attempt to drive it across LA, its about an hr and 10 mins on the freeway but I will take side streets if I have an issue, looking like 2hrs and 40 mins.

Truck has been running good (I have started it every month in storage) Still no headlights and now a new issue as the trailer air supply valve gets stuck and vents when pulled open, I can bypass it by plugging the vent line.
Thinking of moving it across town on Sunday the 12th or the 19th.

When I get it to the shop I am going to replace all the rubber parts on the truck, fabricate tow hooks for the front and convert the lighting system over to 12V.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish you the best of luck man. Sounds like you have dealt with some fun. I wish I was anywhere I could help but I'll be praying for ya!

Nick02

Well the Rig finally made it, the new transference is nice, drove on the side streets to keep the break-in happy and temps down. I did four hrs of driving nonstop through LA and the truck ran excellent! glad this thing is finally at a good destination. Living in it fulltime now in North Hollywood.
IMG_1856.JPGSAM_0621.JPGSAM_0624.JPGIMG_1860.JPG

Nick02

A year and a half later, how's life and the truck treating you? Had the chance to do any more to it? How're the electric truck builds coming along?
It did great, I could not take the LA lifestyle anymore and the company decided to abandon the EV class8 truck program so I moved back to Arizona. The truck has been trouble free, I took it to Mogfest last year and wheeled it in 4x6 and never got stuck, I also took it to King of the hammers and it did great there as well, it was the only RV in the spectating areas. I have found that driving it at 50MPH keeps everything happy and the only issue I have had with it has been the starter control box. I now rent property so I am no longer living in it. I now have a job at Nikola Motors, the program is legitimate, hydrogen electric trucks this time around and its great to be surrounded by other professionals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks