• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1944 Federal 606 C2 Wrecker

Jeff Lakaszcyck

This past July I bought the Federal C2 wrecker at the Jeff Chester auction in Ohio. and it was delivered a few weeks ago. The truck is a great old survivor. It was bought by a house moving company in New Jersey after the war, and was kept inside while they had it. It was saved from a scrap yard by a man in New Jersey around 2007-2008, and was driven home. Jeff Chester bought it in 2009 with thoughts of building a World War Two museum, but those plans didn't pan out and most of Jeff's stuff was sold at auction in July. The truck is very well preserved, and the sheet metal is pretty straight with very little rust. The cab is wood frame, and although the wood is old and weathered, it is not rotten and fairly solid for now. The driver's door is the worst part of the cab, it is separating and is difficult to open and close, but is not falling off yet like many others. Unfortunately the years of being stored outside have locked the engine; water has accumulated around the spark plugs, and two have rusted off and let water into those cylinders. I'm working on getting the heads off and assessing the damage. But despite the engine woes I am pretty happy with the truck. Restoration is not going to happen for a few years, I have some other projects to do first, so for now I would like to get the truck running and operating. A crane truck would be pretty handy to have around the shop !

Federal 1944 606 C2 6x6 Wrecker 1.jpgFederal 1944 606 C2 6x6 Wrecker 2.jpgFederal 1944 606 C2 6x6 Wrecker 3.jpgInside 3.jpgHercules HXD 855 ci.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you are ready for the matching trailer for that truck, PM me, have two C-2s.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck Jeff! Need help getting that block un-stuck!!! (aka Sterling!!)

Howard

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ex NASA, that's pretty cool. I work at the Kennedy Space Center. Did they come from Houston ? No funds right now but I may be interested later.

You can probably tell from my garage that I used to work Space Shuttle.

View attachment 642027
Yes, both came from NASA Johnson Space Center. I believe they came here from New Mexico from the NACA days. They were used extensively to move test articles right up through the early Space Station days.

So glad to see you have a shop building for that wrecker. As you have seen, they do not do well in the rain.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's funny, I think there are more of these restored in Europe than here in the U.S. I can think of maybe 4 to 6 restored C2's overseas, perhaps 1 or 2 here. But it seems like there are more unrestored C2's here in the U.S.

That's what I mean, I need an unrestored one. First, restoring is fun, second, I never would ahve the funds for a restored one, and just buying a completely ready restored truck somehow takes away the magic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks