• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First generator

3oclockshadow

Hello,

I am new here, but saw a few posts regarding various generators. I wondered if anyone had suggestions for a first generator for home and shop use...I just missed an opportunity for a MEP-017a this last weekend, but wondered if I should consider a MEP-002a or step up to an 802/803. Suggestion, advice and wisdom appreciated. (yes, I am running 3 phase equipment in the shop).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For home AND shop(as you stated), I wouldn't go with less than 003/803. Only you would know what current draw you will need to satisfy, I'm sure there is some guides to buying gensets online somewhere.

3oclockshadow

Hello gimpyrobb, thanks for the response. I was in a rush to make that previous post so I left out a few considerations: portability (it would be great to get something smaller like the 017a which would not be such a bear to move around)--not that I would move it around the shop, but the portability was in line of using a welder around the property where electricity might not be available. As for amps needed...50 or better for 1 phase and 20 or a bit more for 3 phase would do as I think the highest load I have in the way of 3 ph equipment is a 5 hp saw which I believe is 12.5 amps. I will take a look at the 003....an 002 is local that I could take a look at too--the efficiency of the diesels has my attention. Has anyone had luck with biodiesel??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, I'd look for one mounted to a m101 trailer if your worried about portability. NONE of the military gensets are fun to move AT ALL.

Being in LA, I'd say the newer ones might be a better option noise wise. No one in LA will want that kind of noise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks