• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

lonesouth

Going to try to maintain this single thread to document everything for my MEP-803a purchase.

Here's the link to what I won. Paid $3900, $4665.50 after taxes, fees, etc.

2000 Fermont MEP-803A Trailer Mounted Power Plant

The plan is to use one for a backup at my house and another at my parent's house. I'll mount one, if not both on a smaller trailer, yet to be purchased. I'm hoping that since they are running and low hours(assuming the gauges are correct) that the generator side is good to go. The videos they posted show the frequency rising after start, fingers crossed. I aiming for next friday to pick load it onto a trailer to haul back home. I could try to tow it, but I have no way to get brakes hooked up on it, and I'd rather tow 7k with brakes on two axles, than 4.5k with no brakes.

Please, by all means, post up if you see anything that looks off in the photos.

Below are all of the pics that were posted to GP.

Last edited:

lonesouth

Pics 1

Attachments

Last edited:

lonesouth

Pics 2

Attachments

lonesouth

Just got off the phone with the POC at the pickup location. He said he had cleaned up the set and got them in good working order. I imagine that is not the norm for this stuff. Confirmed pickup next friday.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Some sites add stuff to get them up and running. Your sets looks like they went and got 4 batteries. One picture has the new positive battery cap sitting there.

Chrispyny

I'd suggest you charge back the fees on your cc. The cover for the duplex outlet on one genset is broken. :)

$2,300 per running unit with new batteries plus a trailer. Sounds like a good deal!

Is the well nut and associated plumbing missing in the second to last pic? Or are 803's different than my 802?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd suggest you charge back the fees on your cc. The cover for the duplex outlet on one genset is broken. :)$2,300 per running unit with new batteries plus a trailer. Sounds like a good deal!Is the well nut and associated plumbing missing in the second to last pic? Or are 803's different than my 802?
Howdy,
The bulkhead below the radiator is the same piece between 802 and 803. So you see where the 802 well nut goes with the hose. The fuel drain uses a well nut, but comes directly out the side. About 8 inches over from the oil drain.
PU798a_p08.jpg

Chrispyny

Here is how i did my 802. I'm not sure how much heavier an 803 is, but in a pinch, of you have to, my way worked great. It did however take some time to figure out, and then put together. Good luck. Let us know how you made out.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

lonesouth

Current plan:

Going to do a semi-permanent install at my house with one of the units. Put it on a pedestal along with a 50 gallon tank. I may add a fuel polisher, TBD.

This thread is my inspiration

For the other, I'm planning to mount it on a trailer. I am contemplating stripping all the brakes, axles, and landing gear off the M103a3 they are mounted on, and replacing that with a 3500lb trailer axle with brakes, mounting the gen toward the rear with a 100 gallon fuel tank toward the front.

Stock trailer weight: 1,660lbs - landing gear 100lbs - wheels/tires 300lbs - axle and brake components 300lbs? + axle, tires, tongue jack 300lbs ~~ 1,260lbs + generator 1,100lbs + fuel tank & fuel 800lbs ~~ 3,160 lbs.

axle and other parts from http://abctrailerparts.com/ total estimate cost to convert is $350

Last edited:

JRM

I kept the trailer for a fuel transport trailer, sold the tires on craigslist for $250 and put on smaller 16" wheels/tires from a stock dodge 2500 ram that lowered it by 4" and it carry's the weight of 2 IBC 275 totes on it quite well. I wired my home for a permeant install outside but I cant bring myself to place this nice 803A into a rainforest environment were we get over 120" of rain a year so its currently in the back of my Toyota enjoying my heated garage with a 6' pigtail ready to plug right into my outdoor receptacle- seen in this video (everyone asks about the oil bottles, was washing them out to take to local HDPE plastic recycler)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C37TiizFr8

lonesouth

Going to pick these up tomorrow. The specs for the M103a3 trailer claim the width is 82.25", and my trailer spec sheet says width between the wheel wells is 82". I've got a plan in mind if that 1/8" on either side is a problem, but it should be fun/interesting either way. I also found a 50 gallon diesel fuel tank in Jacksonville I'll be picking up.

My plan for these continues to evolve. Currently thinking to use Deck Blocks as the base for my platform for the one at my house. That should make the installation go much more quickly.

lonesouth

Thoughts on proposed load fixture using water heater elements?

This will only switch off one leg of the 240v circuit, using 10amp SPST Toggle Switches. The elements will be mounted into 1" pipe using Ts in series. The water will be provided by my pool cleaner booster pump, though it could be from any source really. The ground will be tied to the pipe fixture and the load bank case.

Load Fixture.jpg

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need to use toggle switch's with a higher current rating.
Your individual 4,500 watt elements are going to draw 18.75 amps.
You ought to select switch's that have a safety margin above the nominal current being drawn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks