• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

csheath

The Oklocknee River bridge between Thomasville and Cairo had a dozen accidents on snow day.

lonesouth

I went ahead and replaced my batteries with a pair of 250cca lawn mower batteries($21 each) from walmart. I was able to expand/pound the battery cables down onto the rectangular tabs of the new batteries well enough, then tighten the clamps. I can say that these work as well as the big batteries. The only issue I could see is if I need to crank over the engine a lot, say when troubleshooting a non-cranking issue, where the smaller batteries would die sooner.

lonesouth

I had ordered a 100 gallon aux fuel tank from Northern Tool, back in November, got it $100 off. The closest store is in Ocala, FL about 3 hours away, so I had it shipped there. I knew I would be going that way eventually, and called the store to ask about them holding it. They said that happens a lot and they simply put my name on it, and put it in a corner, out of the way. Well, tomorrow I'm heading to Gainesville, and figured I would go the extra 30 minutes to get the tank. I call to let them know I'm coming and they can drag it out of the back. Turns out, "I picked it up a month ago." I did no such thing and I inform them as much. The manager is "doing some investigating" but I suspect all he will find is that one of his employees is a thief. Some kid saw that sitting around for months, and decided the owner was never going to come get it, so he logged the pickup in the computer and probably sold it on craigslist. $330 new.

Jetred

I must have ordered the same tank cause I got the same deal you did, plus a $50 voucher. Northern Tool is only 40 miles or so from the house. They stock them in the stores here but it was cheaper to buy online. One thing I noticed. Most or all of the instore tanks were pretty beat up. Bad dents, huge scratches, very unexceptable condition. I knew to check mine over before leaving the store. Best thing about that tank is the placement of the mounting bolts. Holes line up perfectly on the generator rails of the LTT.

I added two extra threaded bungs. A 1.5 inch for a fuel gauge, and a .5 inch for a fuel pickup. It's not finished yet but I'll try to post a picture of what I did.

Hate to here you got so close to picking yours up and it didn't work out for you. I travel a lot but don't get to florida enough to help you out. I've been having bad EBay experiences lately. Thinking it's more the post office than EBay. I hope they take care of it.

Attachments

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must have ordered the same tank cause I got the same deal you did, plus a $50 voucher. Northern Tool is only 40 miles or so from the house. They stock them in the stores here but it was cheaper to buy online. One thing I noticed. Most or all of the instore tanks were pretty beat up. Bad dents, huge scratches, very unexceptable condition. I knew to check mine over before leaving the store. Best thing about that tank is the placement of the mounting bolts. Holes line up perfectly on the generator rails of the LTT.

I added two extra threaded bungs. A 1.5 inch for a fuel gauge, and a .5 inch for a fuel pickup. It's not finished yet but I'll try to post a picture of what I did.

Hate to here you got so close to picking yours up and it didn't work out for you. I travel a lot but don't get to florida enough to help you out. I've been having bad EBay experiences lately. Thinking it's more the post office than EBay. I hope they take care of it.
Your tank as pictured seems a bit close to the generator. Do you have good access to the end doors?

Jetred

You are right. It's only 6" from the tank to the generator. However my sprained ankle has me a bit behind on my work. The generator will be turned around so the front is to the front of the trailer. I do believe operating the unit will be much easier as well. Fuel tank mounting bolts need paint. Few other things.

I have a 10 micron filter between the tank and the generator. Also used a 1 pound check valve installed backwards to act as an antisiphon valve. The fuel level in the aux tank is about a foot higher. I'm hoping that combined with having a 1/4 turn valve I keep turned off when not running will eliminate any fuel spills. Won't have it all hooked up till the generator is flipped. Looking at all the specs, should work fine.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right. It's only 6" from the tank to the generator. However my sprained ankle has me a bit behind on my work. The generator will be turned around so the front is to the front of the trailer. I do believe operating the unit will be much easier as well. Fuel tank mounting bolts need paint. Few other things.

I have a 10 micron filter between the tank and the generator. Also used a 1 pound check valve installed backwards to act as an antisiphon valve. The fuel level in the aux tank is about a foot higher. I'm hoping that combined with having a 1/4 turn valve I keep turned off when not running will eliminate any fuel spills. Won't have it all hooked up till the generator is flipped. Looking at all the specs, should work fine.
Looks like it will be a nice setup when you're done.

A 1/4 turn valve is a good idea as long as you remember to close it after running.

Jetred

My understanding is the fuel pump itself shouldn't let the aux fuel system siphon. The check valve will make sure it doesn't siphon. I also installed a tee after the filter (with -5 cap) so I can pull fuel from the aux tank for another generator. The manual valve isolates the main generator. Making sure I don't loose vacuum through the main generator. So, even if I leave the valve on, everything will be ok. No fuel will leak out. However, by closing the valve at all times, it's just a belt and suspenders approach.

lonesouth

I did get a call back and they "found" my tank stashed away. I can only speculate that they replaced it with one from stock. Regardless, I got there and picked it up.

Did you just weld the additional bungs in? I guess since you painted it, you weren't worried about the powdercoat. What did you use for a fuel gauge?

Last edited:

lonesouth

Since two is one and one is none, I was thinking about picking up a cheap harbor freight gas generator and wiring an RV receptacle into my generator, then running those lines to the same lugs on my MEP which connect to my main panel. This would allow me to use the same interlock on the house main breaker. Anyone know if this would cause a problem? I wouldn't ever run the two at the same time, but this would put voltage on the output lugs of the MEP while it is not running. I'm certain this situation happens a lot with people who backfeed through a dryer outlet and forget to disconnect the generator before throwing the main breaker.

Jetred

Lonesouth, I welded the two extra bungs in the top. Fuel pickup is in one corner and the fuel gauge as close to the middle as I could get. There is a baffle in the middle.

Had to grind the powdercoat off for the welds. Flap disk worked best and don’t get it hot. The powdercoat will melt and smear. If you don’t get it too hot, it’s not bad. If you do get it too hot, just let it cool some. No biggy. The powdercoat is still intact everywhere except the welds. I did prime those before painting. I’ll just keep an eye on them and touch up as needed.

Here is the fuel gauge I used. https://www.jmesales.com/rochester-...liquid-level-generator-tank-gauges-23-1-4-24/ threads into the 1.5 inch bung and your done. BTW, it’s a magnetic gauge. Meaning if you take the clear plastic top off,(two Phillips head screws) the 1.5 inch threaded part is solid cast aluminum,no holes or seals. Seal the 1.5 inch threads good and it won’t leak. Uses a megnetic pull to move the gauge needle. Same brand and workings as the big truck refer trailer tanks. this one is just designed to be installed from the top instead of the side.

Found a a stainless steel fuel pickup from Boyd’s Welding. Worked great. But way overpriced for a stainless tube.

Since two is one and one is none, I was thinking about picking up a cheap harbor freight gas generator and wiring an RV receptacle into my generator, then running those lines to the same lugs on my MEP which connect to my main panel. This would allow me to use the same interlock on the house main breaker. Anyone know if this would cause a problem? I wouldn't ever run the two at the same time, but this would put voltage on the output lugs of the MEP while it is not running. I'm certain this situation happens a lot with people who backfeed through a dryer outlet and forget to disconnect the generator before throwing the main breaker.
Don’t do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

impi

The damage you can cause to the MEP by doing that will cost you more than the cheap HF generator. If you want to feed on the same circuit you need to put a switch in to select which source is feeding. Those folks backfeeding through the dryer outlet are putting the linemen's live at risk, and the ones forgetting to disconnect their generators before the utility power comes on end up buying more cheap generators.

I am considering a similar setup as the MEP's feeding into the panel but the service disconnect has a manual interlock. If I add another feed to leverage the same run I would install a single circuit external transfer switch and treat the MEP like it's the line power, and use the plugin for the 5k Briggs in case the MEP goes down or needs servicing during an extended outage. That would allow me to isolate the MEP from the circuits when another standby is plugged in, while maintaining integrity of the interlocks on the panel and the service disconnect without putting anyone who might be working on the lines at risk or my own if I'm working on the MEP.

Something like a Reliance Controls single circuit outdoor switch might work.

But then again looking at the power meters I have sitting on the feed line to my panel the manufacturer states that a square wave will chew them up like no one's business.

I guess plan b is the generator on the back porch with an extension cord to the refrigerator.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member

I get a cold feeling to even read your post. Do it right, or don't do it at all. The possibility to destroy equipment or kill someone is simply unacceptable.

impi

I would think that you would need a 4 pole for an absolute positive disconnection given that ground is bonded on the panel to neutral and you have 4 wires feeding from the MEP with the bonding strap removed on the MEP. 3 pin twist lock with grounding on the collar, or a 4 pin twist lock which connects to the portable generator cable feed.

Thanks guys.

Found a switch on amazon that ought to do the trick. Going to use this with a 30amp twistlock exterior socket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY72GQ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TBO7AH1TIA3O&psc=1

lonesouth

I would think that you would need a 4 pole for an absolute positive disconnection given that ground is bonded on the panel to neutral and you have 4 wires feeding from the MEP with the bonding strap removed on the MEP. 3 pin twist lock with grounding on the collar, or a 4 pin twist lock which connects to the portable generator cable feed.
I considered that, but the current, and to my knowledge the generally accepted method for permanent generator hookup, does not disconnect the ground nor neutral between the main panel and aux power. Only the hot legs are locked out.

impi

I'm curious - are you doing a permanent wire to the switch from the portable, and where will you locate the switch, or are you using a plug wire. If cost is not a factor - would a plugin singe pole outdoor box like this one listed on Amazon also serve the purpose?

[h=1]Reliance Controls Corporation CSR202 Easy/Tran Transfer Switch for Generators Up to 5,000 Watts[/h]
I'm considering adding one of these to the post holding the conduit in the generator enclosure I have behind my shed so that I can just plug the Briggs storm responder in there if I need to take the MEP offline. The switch that comes with the box will transfer between line in generator - in this case I will regard the MEP as line, and the plugin being the generator. I will have to replace the electronic gauges I have sitting by mu panel as the square wave from the Briggs will eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thanks guys.

Found a switch on amazon that ought to do the trick. Going to use this with a 30amp twistlock exterior socket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY72GQ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TBO7AH1TIA3O&psc=1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks