• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

Another Ahab

It finally occurred to me tonight to stick the pump inlet into a cup of diesel and try to start the generator. Good news is that if fired right off. So that confirms a clogged fuel pickup, but at least I know the rest of it is OK and I could bypass the tank in a pinch if needed. I did also buy a back-up back-up generator on prime day, 14kw Duromax, hopefully that will be enough to oomph to start my 5-ton AC. If not, a soft start will be going into the AC.
5-tons of cooling is a right big unit! But then, you're in Tallahassee...

Ray70

You have to remove the top cover , the rear cover where the tank is located and the entire radiator support assembly.
It may sound difficult, but it really isn't hard at all.
just have to be aware of a few hidden screws, mainly where the radiator support attaches to the 2 strips under the side doors.
Everything pretty self evident once you get your hands into it.

NotThatGuy

This was why I just loved AOAP. The Army Oil Analysis Program. It saved so much oil and unnecessary maintenance. In your case, it would not help much, since you have to start with a baseline test, and go from there. The analysis would tell you if there was serious levels of metals in the oil. But not if its a long standing problem, or just started. The lab can tell you from where the metal comes from. Which bearing is bad. If rings are bad. Its a great tool. Most people would say the cost precludes it being used in small gen sets. In sets that run high hours, I beg to disagree.
Blackstone Labs will send you free sampling kits and only charge $35 for an oil analysis.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

Guyfang

Staff member
I pulled the who thing out. Simpler that way. AND, you get a chance to clean up in there. Have seen two failures where a nut fell into the place where the tank sits. Then moved under the tank. Years of use, wore a hole in the tank. So it never hurts to clean as much as you can.

2Pbfeet

Sigh. Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the warning. I just lost a tank filler neck nut back there, despite having a magnet on it, and then fishing for it.

I will add it to my do list; it seems important as I would hate to try to find a tank on short notice...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks