• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

Another Ahab

I only just now picked up that you're in The Sunshine State; got it!

Anywhere else and those blocks could heave, which is the reason I wondered if they're buried. But in sunny FL all that is a non-issue. Nice!

lonesouth

I used This Charger. It hasn't burned down yet, so I think I'm good to go. Not sure if it is going to hold up in the humidity though. Cheap enough that I won't lose any sleep if I have to replace it.

Solar panel is an Aleko 20w from eBay.

I did notice that the batteries were a little over charged after running for 30 minutes, around 25v when the generator was turned off. I'm guessing that is within the acceptable range for SLA batteries.

csheath

When I repaint this, what is the best way to get the stencils reapplied? Paint black, attach vinyl letters, paint green, peel letters?
I have a 24" vinyl cutter. Let me know when you get ready and I will cut you letters or stencils. The most realistic way is to cut stencils and paint it. I just use shelf paper for that. Tell me what you want and what size to make it.

Another Ahab

I have a 24" vinyl cutter. Let me know when you get ready and I will cut you letters or stencils. The most realistic way is to cut stencils and paint it. I just use shelf paper for that. Tell me what you want and what size to make it.
Does that thing have templates for letters and numbers; so you just "plug" them in, sort of?

csheath

Does that thing have templates for letters and numbers; so you just "plug" them in, sort of?
It works from computer software. For a project like this I would select a stencil font and type it in then select all and set what size I want.

Just did these decals for a special event I took my Mustang to last week.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

It works from computer software. For a project like this I would select a stencil font and type it in then select all and set what size I want.
WHOA!! That's pretty slick; and handles 24" material?!

This must be an item you got access to at work, is that it, or do you own the thing?

csheath

WHOA!! That's pretty slick; and handles 24" material?!

This must be an item you got access to at work, is that it, or do you own the thing?
I bought it off ebay years ago thinking I might make a buck with it. Have done almost everything on it for personal use or favors. Had fun learning and using it though.

lonesouth lives near me and offered to help me so I'll be glad to help him out on a repaint.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I bought it off ebay years ago thinking I might make a buck with it. Have done almost everything on it for personal use or favors. Had fun learning and using it though.
I confess to drifting, but:

- Have you got a pic of that thing to post (if you don't mind; and EVEN if you do)?!

lonesouth

wife and kids went to the neighbors for a bit so I finally had some time to run the whole house on the MEP. I honestly can't believe how well it ran. The water pump barely made it burp. The A/C only kicked it up to 25% with all the rest of the house on. Only with both TVs, the A/C, the dryer, and the rest of the house, was I able to get it up to 75%. Color me impressed!

One catch though, we can't have only good times. My oil pressure was reading just above 20psi. Looking back at the original pics, and what I recall from running it in the past, the oil pressure was up over 40. I checked the oil and it is slightly overfilled when warm. It did not shutdown or turn on the low oil pressure light, which I did test with the test button to confirm it does light up.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a 1 hr full load test on mine a couple of weeks ago - and I noticed that my pressure dropped from 40ish unloaded/cold down to 20-30 under load/warmed up. I think I saw a thread where that's "normal". My engine has fairly low time and I don't see any other symptoms/issues, so (along with your experience) I'm calling it OK. (I'm almost looking forward to a real event where I can prove to the other half that I'm not nuts for buying my genny.)

csheath

Operator's manual reads 25 to 60 PSIG. It also says the low oil pressure light comes on at 15 + or - 3.

I wouldn't trust ANY of these gauges. I am half mind to tee into temp and oil pressure with mechanical gauges.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Operator's manual reads 25 to 60 PSIG. It also says the low oil pressure light comes on at 15 + or - 3.

I wouldn't trust ANY of these gauges. I am half mind to tee into temp and oil pressure with mechanical gauges.
You say "mechanical gauges"; what kind of gauges are on the MEP'S?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks