• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

csheath

You say "mechanical gauges"; what kind of gauges are on the MEP'S?
The oil and temp gauges have sending units that convert the pressure and temperature readings to a resistance value. The gauge reads based on the amount of resistance on the ground signal. A mechanical gauge has a capillary tube that regulates the gauge based on actual pressure or temperature.

Guyfang

Staff member
There are no military gen sets with direct pressure meters. About 10 million years ago, there were a few, but as it was always a weak link in the gen technology, it was done away with.

csheath

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but the block drain is on the front of the engine under the water pump. A fellow member helped me find it by telling me to follow the hose that tees off the radiator drain.

The easiest way I found to access it is to disconnect the battery, take the adjustment bolt out of the alternator, and swing the alternator down.

csheath

Oh yeah! The chassis! Mine has a huge opening in the middle as well as the two under the battery trays. I was thinking I needed to figure a way to cover all those with hardware cloth or something. I will at least get a bag of mothballs to put in and under mine to keep the rodents out.

lonesouth

Was out in the yard last weekend and cranked the MEPs to verify cold weather operation. The house set cranked with some complaint, no preheat and 28 degrees, but then ran right up. The other unit's main fuel pump did not kick on. I am planning to replace the return fuel line anyway, and will investigate it further later on.

Should I fill the tank with fresh diesel and leave it, to prevent condensation, or siphon out the fuel and use it in the house MEP?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I always have everything filled to the brim here. Generators, equipment, tractors, trucks, cars.

lonesouth

Well, I was able to sell my sequoia and free up some space in the garage. The next project to tackle is getting my bronco brakes replaced, but after that the trailer mounted generator gets my attention. First will be moving the M103 trailer into the garage and cutting out all the stuff I don't need: landing gear, axle, springs, hangers, supports, air brakes, e-brakes, wiring, etc. I'll pretty much be taking it down to frame. From there, I'll get the frame sand blasted and lay down a coat of Behr exterior paint. Order a replacement 3,500# axle, fuel tank hangers and retainers, wiring harness, lights, jack, 2" coupler, etc. Then on to repairing the generator and repainting it. Get the generator and fuel tank mounted. Add a distribution panel, ground rod, fire extinguisher, and lastly, sell it.

csheath

Well, I was able to sell my sequoia and free up some space in the garage. The next project to tackle is getting my bronco brakes replaced, but after that the trailer mounted generator gets my attention. First will be moving the M103 trailer into the garage and cutting out all the stuff I don't need: landing gear, axle, springs, hangers, supports, air brakes, e-brakes, wiring, etc. I'll pretty much be taking it down to frame. From there, I'll get the frame sand blasted and lay down a coat of Behr exterior paint. Order a replacement 3,500# axle, fuel tank hangers and retainers, wiring harness, lights, jack, 2" coupler, etc. Then on to repairing the generator and repainting it. Get the generator and fuel tank mounted. Add a distribution panel, ground rod, fire extinguisher, and lastly, sell it.
You're never going to recoup the time and investment you put into all those trailer mods. I would get the genset running good and sell it as is.

lonesouth

good point. after thinking about it, I'm just going to cut out the extra stuff on the trailer, mostly brakes. Then I will rewire and sell as is with the stock axle/tires/lunette. May paint it without blasting.

lonesouth

was running the house generator today, loaded by the house to between 25-75%. Shutdown after about 40 minutes with low oil pressure. Attempted to restart, shut right back down. Digging into the TM this week to troubleshoot. What's the most common culprit? I know this group knows more about these than the people who made the TM :)

Oil level shows full.

Temp indicated around 180.

when i first started it, oil pressure showed around 40psi.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks