• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fair price for a MEP-803A?

I've done a search of this forum and really couldn't find anything.

I'm looking to buy a MEP-803A for my RV. Some of the prices online I've seen for these generators, to say the least is a bit of a shock.

What's a fair price that I should bid on on GovLidq. and eBay or other sources for a generator?

Thanks!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you heard one of these run? They are very loud for a RV. It will also be way overkill unless your RV is huge.

I'm not confident enough to buy one straight from the auction site. I just don't know that much about generator electricals to take that risk, unless it was dirt cheap.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Military MEP-8xx TQG generators were overbuilt. (Plus, they are diesel) When they say 5kw, they mean 5kw 24/7 all day long without issue. When they say 10kw, the same thing applies, all day long. The only difference between the MEP-802A and MEP-803A is 2 cylinders. The engine is the exact same. 2 cylinders for 5kw and 4 cylinders for 10kw. That is why the panel components, gaskets, fuel pumps etc.. fit both. No, not exactly everything... the gen heads are different, and a few other items. A 5kw generator has a good surge to it as well. I have worked both types of generators over with some video clips showing loading of both under the surplus load bank thread. You would be surprised at what a 5kw generator can handle.

Price is a little touchy. It depends on what someone is willing to pay. A good resource to is to look at historical prices. Sold or completed sales will give you some ideas of price range. Turn-key ready to go, or a basket case which needs some love. (and swearing)

Thanks for the replies.

Another question, can I run a inverter type welding machine that can be ran with a "clean power" generator?

And for everyone wondering what RV will I use this for, let me explain. I have a Blue Bird diesel pusher school bus with a Cummins 8.3L, sadly no pics on me, I work out of town and don't have any on my phone or laptop.

But there is a hump on the rear on the inside the bus where the engine compartment is. I plan on tearing that part out of the interior of the bus, build a rack where the generator will sit right on top the engine, but high enough out the way that I can still work on the Cummins. I have about 6ft of height to play with so plenty of room. Then build a new wall.

I also bought a wheelchair lift, that will go on the other side of that wall and use it as a motorcycle lift, and partition that as a mini garage for motorcycle road racing track days, etc... the wall between the rest of the "RV" will have a 4" spray foam insulated wall, so I promise you it won't be loud at all.

This isn't a new idea. My buddy done it with his shorter bus ( mine is full length ), and when he is driving, you hardly can hear the engine. And at night slight rumble from the generator. He has a MEP-003A. Plus I wanna use it for my MIG welder if possible. But my MIG welder is a inverter type.

I could get away with a 5kw one too.

I was also reading the TM and where the generator fuel tank can be used as a "day tank" and have another fuel source.

Which would work great because I can run a line from one of my fuel tanks. That paired with a remote start, would be freaking perfect.

rustystud

Thanks for the replies.

Another question, can I run a inverter type welding machine that can be ran with a "clean power" generator?

And for everyone wondering what RV will I use this for, let me explain. I have a Blue Bird diesel pusher school bus with a Cummins 8.3L, sadly no pics on me, I work out of town and don't have any on my phone or laptop.

But there is a hump on the rear on the inside the bus where the engine compartment is. I plan on tearing that part out of the interior of the bus, build a rack where the generator will sit right on top the engine, but high enough out the way that I can still work on the Cummins. I have about 6ft of height to play with so plenty of room. Then build a new wall.

I also bought a wheelchair lift, that will go on the other side of that wall and use it as a motorcycle lift, and partition that as a mini garage for motorcycle road racing track days, etc... the wall between the rest of the "RV" will have a 4" spray foam insulated wall, so I promise you it won't be loud at all.

This isn't a new idea. My buddy done it with his shorter bus ( mine is full length ), and when he is driving, you hardly can hear the engine. And at night slight rumble from the generator. He has a MEP-003A. Plus I wanna use it for my MIG welder if possible. But my MIG welder is a inverter type.

Your buddy installed a MEP-003 in a bus conversion ?!?!?! With almost no sound ? To tell you the truth that sounds insane ! Why on earth waste that much weight (800 Ibs) capability with a huge ass generator ?
As a bus mechanic I can tell you that you do not want to isolate that rear engine access area with a wall. There is no way to get to the back of the engine without an access cover, and when it comes time to change injectors you "WILL" want that access !!! You would be better served by using the upper level that is already there and accessed from the back of the bus and leave the inside engine cover alone.
Now about that wheel-chair lift. Have you ever worked on one ? They are extremely complicated units that must have the mounting rails absolutely level. One of the biggest time consumers in the shop is repairing wheel-chair lifts. With all their "micro" sensors and limiting switches and "safety" switches and brain box they can be a pain to work on. Plus you must maintain the hydraulic system unless it is one of the smaller electric units. I personally would look at another way to load and unload my motorcycle.

Chrispyny

225, buy a couple Honda EU2000i's and run them in parallel and call it a day. You will have 8 hours of 4000 surge watts (3200 running watts ) on 2 gallons of gas ( one per genset ) and they are only a grand total combined of 110 lbs, and super quiet as well as very very reliable. There are kits to run one 5 gallon boat style fuel tank between both of them. If you fill each genset tank full ( a little over one gallon ) and 5 gallons in the boat tank, you will have roughly 48 hours of run time before you run out of fuel. And thats at full load.

If that isn't enough, an EU7000is will get you 7000 watts of power for 18 hours with 5 gal of fuel.

225, With all due respect, and i mean that sincerely, you might have a bad idea with the military diesel genset on your bus.

TooMuchWork

Another question, can I run a inverter type welding machine that can be ran with a "clean power" generator?... Plus I wanna use it for my MIG welder if possible. But my MIG welder is a inverter type.
Yes, you should be able to run your inverter welder with any clean power generator. Whether it's a Honda EUseries or mep-802/803a, any quality generator should do just fine. The one caution would be if using the inverter welder with an inverter generator. When too many electronics get involved there will be electronic noise/interference and it can get very expensive to fix when/if shtf (if its even fixable). A prime example is the mep-831a inverter generator.

Last edited:

87Nassaublue

Why do you want such a huge high output heavy generator in an RV? It seems you'd be better off getting a ONAN off craigslist that is designed for an RV. I would suspect that your friend who did a similar conversion already had all the parts and materials to do the finish the project with little or no additional costs. Maybe he just wanted to see if he could do it. If you're going to purchase a working and tested 002 or 003, you're going to drop some serious bank. Even through GL, they go for a good bit of money with issues.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my OPINION based on what I see in the market around NC/SC. It may or may not apply to your specific area.

For what you are going to pay for a very nice 803 you are getting into the range of one of the RV quiet diesels. Expect to pay in the range of $5-6k for an 803 that is really nice. One that needs work will be $2.5-4k. Auction prices in the south east are higher than I've seen in other areas. This leads to an overall bubble in prices here.

I have one that is like new. IF I were to consider selling it I wouldn't let it go for less than $6k.

Edit - The Cummins RV diesel sets are much smaller and better suited for what you want. One of the emergency services groups in NC had a really nice one for sale last year for about $7k. It was a 12kw unit with virtually no time on it. If it was me I would keep an eye open for something like that.

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My toy hauler has 3 air units and a 10K onan onboard. I use a 803 Generator to run it where I cannot get a power hook up since it is not under my bedroom like the onan! I did add more sound absorbing materials that I showed in another thread. I have never tripped the 803! The peak power load on my power meter was 10080 watts with air, lights, tv, sound system, coffee pot, etc running. I could easily run it on an 802 during cooler months or just reduce the number of AC units running. I shut the generator down and night and run off batteries. No AC but I have lights and a fan. I use an Ensupra power meter since I rent my generators too. This way I know how it was used during the rental period. Lets face it military generators are not really portable, they are transportable. I put a wheel kit under mine so I can roll it in an out. I use it to pump water from the well on the property also. I am biased since I really like the 80X's The engines are hard to beat and the power output is superb! I can fuel them with a 55 gallon drum of diesel and have power all weekend. I have 19 more 803's.

Korgoth1

There is a few on c-list for around $3500 to $4000, which are in great shape(they only bring that much because they are "the sweet spot" for the average homeowner). The 802 brings around $1500 to $2000 in good condition.

What are your power requirements? If you need 10kw to be comfortable, the 803 would work fine. If 5kw will cover you, I would not consider the 802, as mentioned I would go for the honda and use the extra space/weight for gas storage. Plus you wouldn't have to attenuate your generator bay. I would not use spray foam, better sound attenuation with roxul, and it wont burn.

Also mentioned, the onan rv specific generators can be had for cheap.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 1 5kw and 3 10kw units available in various condition. The best 10k with upgrades and improvements to them are $4500 to $5K. That being said they have spay in attenuation, bug screening, on board charging, solar charging, improvements to airflow, exhaust hoods so no snow, pine straw, leaves, rain can screw with your generator. Cabinet rivnuts, fix fuel tanks, replace fuel hoses, etc. About 48 hours of TLC in each unit which would cost 2.5k in a shop. I have never just bought a generator from GL or GovPlanet and never had to do something to it. 5k's sell from 2500 to 3000 now. They are hard to find in excellent condition that are fully updated and tested for that price.

csheath

Thanks for the replies.

I use my 803 to power an inverter plasma cutter. Works great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks