• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 turbo discussion

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stock usage (stock fueling/boost) they tend to survive just fine. Start asking more out of them, they give up the ghost in a hurry.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The limitation(s) I see with the 8.3 is the exhaust manifold with the T4 outlet size...I've searched but haven't been able to find a suitable exhaust manifold with a T6 outlet, that would give us a wider choice of better turbos to use. It seems that all the HX50 & 55 turbos I see have T6 inlets.

What am I missing?

Csm Davis

Okay so we have bigger exhaust so what single turbo would get us a little more flow without to much lag, would like a water cooled ball bearing center.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Two smaller turbos will cause less lag over a big one. My 6.4 with the little turbos will walk off an leave any other diesel off the line. They also produce 42 lbs of boost.

Flange sizes do not matter really. Nor does turbo size. Who says it has to be anywhere near under the hood? Piping can run anywhere.

https://youtu.be/HWcQq0oOxBc

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Ford Mechanic

Two smaller turbos will cause less lag over a big one. My 6.4 with the little turbos will walk off an leave any other diesel off the line. They also produce 42 lbs of boost.

Flange sizes do not matter really. Nor does turbo size. Who says it has to be anywhere near under the hood? Piping can run anywhere.

6.4 Ford? I'm very sorry for your luck.....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
6.4 Ford? I'm very sorry for your luck.....

It has actually been very good to me. I picked it up for $15k when it had 75k on it from the gov planet auction. All ive done to it is got rid of the water oil cooler and went to air oil cooler. Cold air intake, studs, dpf/egr delete and lift pumps. Its quick but i don't like how it tows. I would rather tow with my old 6.9 idi.

Ford Mechanic

It has actually been very good to me. I picked it up for $15k when it had 75k on it from the gov planet auction. All ive done to it is got rid of the water oil cooler and went to air oil cooler. Cold air intake, studs, dpf/egr delete and lift pumps. Its quick but i don't like how it tows. I would rather tow with my old 6.9 idi.

Sounds like alot of $$ just to make it reliable. I agree about the 6.9, same for the 7.3 also.

What don't you like about how it tows? It has a great transmission and shift strategy for towing.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sounds like alot of $$ just to make it reliable. I agree about the 6.9, same for the 7.3 also.

What don't you like about how it tows? It has a great transmission and shift strategy for towing.

It just dogs it out on fuel mileage i towed a mkt99 350miles and it drank almost two tanks. Plus on hills it just doesn't seem to cool down very well. Esp oil. I hit 300 deg oil temp towing that 20ft cargo bolster from wreckermans place. But that was a heavy pintle tow

Csm Davis

Speaking of the kids doing burnouts and here comes one! I don't need all of that extra hardware. Now if I was after 800 horsepower like your little ford I might need all that but I want something reliable for more than 300 miles a year.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Properly sized sure. Flange size doesn't matter until you get into big numbers. And yes a turbo can be mounted anywhere, with issues.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Speaking of the kids doing burnouts and here comes one! I don't need all of that extra hardware. Now if I was after 800 horsepower like your little ford I might need all that but I want something reliable for more than 300 miles a year.

Those twin turbos are stock form for the 6.4. Not 800hp but 585 is close.

turbo.jpg
this is the upgrade I'm sticking on my buddies M931A2 right now. its a borg warner. the black one on the right is the stock HX40. This one is a turbo from a pulling truck it would normally have a T6 flange on it but it has been modified with a smaller exhaust housing and T4 flange so it should spool fairly quickly.

Csm Davis

Going for higher power to play or higher power to work? And what RPM range do you plan to use it at?
Hwy use won't be dogging on it hard unless in some hills or rolling 68 mph on my G177s
View attachment 645137
this is the upgrade I'm sticking on my buddies M931A2 right now. its a borg warner. the black one on the right is the stock HX40. This one is a turbo from a pulling truck it would normally have a T6 flange on it but it has been modified with a smaller exhaust housing and T4 flange so it should spool fairly quickly.
Any specifics on it so us others can dream of the power he will have. I have several other turbos to pick from, up to a stock 400 cummins turbo, that thing is huge.

red

If going for a hwy/work set of compounds I'd keep the hx40 but swap out the impeller for one with more blades, use it as the smaller turbo/spool faster. For the larger turbo a hx55 should be about perfect. Towing compounds are not a huge difference in turbo size as compared to a high performance/sled pulling compound setup. An HT3B is a good turbo but you will need to be up around 3000rpm to get the full potential out of it with the 8.3.

Csm Davis

The turbo bought above is not ball bearing. It is traditional floating sleeve bearing. Ceramic ball bearing turbos are really only 1/2 true, or at least they used to be, because they only use the ball bearing on the colder compressor side of the turbo. Hot side has always been floating sleeve.

Water cooled really only reduces oil coking on the bearings after shutdown on a gasoline engine since their EGT's run hotter.
Okay discoball I drug this over here where it belongs. I understand that the turbo that grendel bought is a floating sleeve bearing and I still want to know if the ball bearings and water cooling would help on a 400 HP 8.3L. These turbos are very large so I would think that the ball bearings would be a great addition to help keep everything where it should be. And as to water cooling the center sections I thought it was to keep from cooking the bearings not help EGT. Am I missing something?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks