• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53's on an LMTV

scottmandu

They make the truck look silly but they fit! I might have some issues with the Hydraulic tank (winch truck) though.

14330110_10154531840053524_8939355778489260052_n.jpg

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried them on the front? There would probably be more interference with the cable step, but they should fit there too by the looks of it.

saddamsnightmare

September 20th, 2016.

The 53"s will cut down your torque and hill climbing abilities considerably, as they decrease the power at the rim of the tire while they increase the speed (slightly). An interesting side effect to any truck tire size increase in terms of the outside diameter, where a smaller diameter tire will increase the pulling ability due to increased number of tire rpms to cover any given distance.:roll:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I think your biggest issue will be the hydraulic tank and the steel box guard around the tank. I noticed on mine (with regular 395's) that the tire gets a little close to that guard when turning. I would love to see a pic when you get them all mounted up! If they are usable then I would really be interested in speed vs. RPM numbers since yours has a tach!!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fwiw -- The speed change is simply the diameter change (ie 53/46 = 115%)...so at speedometer reading of 50mph you'd be doing 57.5mph w/ 53inch tires.
That makes sense, I didn't think of it that way. Decent gain but not quite as much as I had initially thought.

buffalorunner

Would really like to hear what happened and how this turned out. Did you end up with 16.00R20's on the truck. Looking at replacing my tires soon, and seriously hoping the 16.00R20's were a good fit. The little bump in road speed is all I'm after, really just in search of a more comfortable cruising RPM at 50ish mph.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Don't know never did it. Just measured. Couldn't find a nice newer set of 14.00s at a reasonable price. Gives you about 2-3 inches larger overall diameter so maybe another 2mph. Not much. I just liked the way the slightly larger tires looked I rolled the spare from my M923A2 up next to my M1078.

expeditionnw

Don't know never did it. Just measured. Couldn't find a nice newer set of 14.00s at a reasonable price. Gives you about 2-3 inches larger overall diameter so maybe another 2mph. Not much. I just liked the way the slightly larger tires looked I rolled the spare from my M923A2 up next to my M1078.
I threw a tape on some 1400s, i didnt think there was more than 1.5" height difference. What kind did you measure? I think these were the xzls. I am interested in putting em on there to drop the rpms down more. Not really looking forward to more height, but the tach gain will be worth it.

buffalorunner

I am still trying to figure this out, will it rub/interfere at full turn on the frame or steering? I didn't think the 16r20's were that much wider of tire. If I were to hit anywhere it would be on that little piece of fiberglass fender that I could trim (especially since the corner pictured is already broken). Pictures below were taken with the tape measure at the center of the wheel, and measurement is representative of the radius of the tire.

Looking for more input please. Like the idea of lower RPMs at cruising speed, and wouldn't mind the look of a larger tire.

Tire_clearance.jpgTire_clearance2.jpg

coachgeo

turn the tire to Full lock one way and then measure like above the half of tire turned inboard to see where it would hit. Measure from inner side tire. Turn full lock the other way and measure as well.

coachgeo

Curious..... what height or maybe better asked Diameter tire would it take to match the same ratio change as doing the swap to the Caimen 3rd member? (3.90 to 3.07 Caimen)

Last edited:

buffalorunner

I don't really understand what you mean Suprman. The axle is not going to move when I install the 16r20's, so wouldn't the center of the wheel be in the same relation with the frame and cab when I install the larger tire? So my measurement (at about 26.5") is representative of where the 53" tire will sit inside the front wheel well.

CoachGeo, if my math is right. the 3.07 is a 127% jump from 3.90 ratio. If that was applied to the tire height, it would be the same as going from the 46" tire to a 58.42" tire. So the 53" seems to be somewhere in the middle, certainly will add more rolling weight than gears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks