• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Injector Line Ferrules

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I recently found out that the injector line going into the IP was leaking. I can only assume that the ferrule is leaking. It appears that most just replace the line, but me being me I went out and found ferrules. Whether this all works or not I found a good diesel shop in the area. It appears that replacing ferrules is quite easy and normal. All that needs to be done is carefully removed the old ferrule without damaging the line. Use a drill to make sure the inside line size is the correct size. Clean the entire thing including blowing out the inside of the line. Place the ferrule on the line. To crimp it you bottom the injector line out into the IP, and then just tighten it down. It will take care of itself.

I did not get a part number on these, as they were free. The line when I asked how much was it would be more work to look up the part number, so I shut up. If this works though I will get the numbers, and perhaps buy a supply for others.

At the same time I also picked up some of the injector copper washers. The ones used for the ENDT 673 Mack looked just fine. AMGeneral suggested the application.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Any possible way to get a p/n? I have a bunch of lines, but the ferrules are junk.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
The part numbers I will get down the road if they work out, or I will buy a bunch and have them available. I am sure the company would not be too happy if they get all sorts of calls for 10cent parts to be shipped. This is a compression fitting, but is nothing like a standard compression fitting for other uses. Using others I am sure would ensure a leak.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan, did you check the injector?
Metal ferrules on metal tubing often dig into the metal, I' curious about the results here. If it was me, not knowing better, I'd replace the complete line....

steelandcanvas

I had a small leak at my IP last week...just took a tubing wrench and snugged it up. Should I have replaced the line/ferrule? Snugging it up seemed to have stopped the problem...for now.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original ferrule is on for the duration, I'm afraid, it will not slide off, only turn, the ground through sample shows how it has dug into the steel line.
BTW, this particular ferrule was hardened.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well a little change in plans on this. I finally got a proper set of line wrenches from napa, and removed the line. It looked to be in good shape, so I cleaned and reinstalled it with no more leak so far. The fitting is bottomed out though, so if things loosen up again I will have to replace it.

Bjorn I was not able to remove the injector as the tip must be stuck in there with some carbon on it. I will have to putt together some sort of puller in the future. The supposed fuel leak on top of that injector I am now thinking was spray from the IP to injector line connector. I had gotten some considerable spray a time or two on the way back from Thanksgiving. I resealed the T fitting though to be safe, and am keeping an eye on it. The engine has been running smooth through all this. The diesel guys I talked to said that the ferrules can usually be replaced, but if bad the line can usually be cut down a bit to allow the ferrule to sit on fresh tube. There were also not happy with the radius of the bends on our lines.

If someone wants to try to replace a ferrule or two on their leaky truck I will send you a couple. Otherwise until I develope another leak a ferrule install is on hold.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
builder77 said:
Bjorn I was not able to remove the injector as the tip must be stuck in there with some carbon on it. I will...... .
Ethan, after you get the two "hold down" cap screws out, just give it a little tap and it should come right out.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah I tapped and twisted and was about to pull out a bigger hammer before I realized what I was about to do:) There is just not a lot of room to work with though. I am figuring a slide hammer will work.

nattieleather

I didn't mean to sound like a water compression fitting would work. Was just trying to point out that the principle of how it works is the same as other compression fittings. You slide it on the tube and when you tighten the nut down it compresses and no leaks.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well a bit of reversal here. Guess what? My lines are leaking again! Anyways I took the line off and gave replacing the ferrule a try. I found that the ferrule are a hard steel that was not able to be cut with a hack saw. I ended up using a bench grinder to remove it with LOTS of care as I did not want to so much as touch the line itself with the grinder. I found pinching the ferrule in a small vice grip helps to push the ground sides away from the line. Grind carefully until you see the slightest of cracks in the steel then turn it around and do the other side. It should split off with a slight pinch of the grips. I found a similar gouge line as Bjorn did caused by the ferrule, so I cut the line down to that line. I faced the line after with a fine file, rounded the edges, drilled , and then champhered the drill hole too similar to original. Then I cleaned the entire line including blowing out the inside of the line. I won't know until the morning if things stop leaking, but it looks good so far.

nattieleather I tried to be a bit clear there after just imagining someone going down to their plumbing supply store for a ferrule :shock:

Attachments

garp

Just my 2 cents here. All injection line on nearly all diesel engines are the same length, tuned as some might refer to it. This is done to ensure proper timing. All be it a slight difference, a little can be alot for a diesel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
garp said:
Just my 2 cents here. All injection line on nearly all diesel engines are the same length, tuned as some might refer to it. This is done to ensure proper timing. All be it a slight difference, a little can be alot for a diesel.
Agreed, the lines are identical in length.

Ethan, why not replace the line, there are plenty around...and do check the injector.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have put some miles on the repair this morning, and there is no more leak! I still have to go back though to adjust the line to fit back in the rubber antivibration holder. The diesel shop suggested that the about 1/4" removed would not make a difference. She is purring again. I am going to get my spare set of injectors all cleaned, and then install them on this truck soon.

Yes I know replace replace replace. This is a viable way to replair a leaky line, and is something that could be done in a pinch on the road with a hacksaw, file, drill, cleaner, and a ferrule. I will be buying a set of injector lines for my spares stach though.

jmejia4

I know this is an old thread but it won't hurt to ask, does anyone have a source for these ferrules??:lost:
Thanks in advance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks