• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Usmc m1030b1

Bradyrw625

Just picked the next bike to restore. I’m calling this “Bike 4”. I don't count mine and my buddies that I’ve already completed. I found the easiest way is to see if the engine will attempt to crank and then go from there. I just replaced the drain plug with a magnetic low pro one from Eagle Mike, put in new oil, put in a new Deka sealed battery, replaced the fuses and then jumped the battery straight to the starter. I also found out Tiny Pic is shutting down. All of my pictures are hosted there so I’m not sure if they will disappear or not. Either way this one is in rough shape.

Attachments

Bradyrw625

So I started the tear down of “Bike 4” (really the 6[SUP]th[/SUP]one) and it went as well as expected. Everything was a pain in the ass and nothing worked! I’ll paint it tan like mine (correct for the 03 Iraqi invasion). It’s a bit cold here so I’ll have to take it to a buddy’s house for cleaning and paint. Then the tedious process of mechanical and cosmetic restoration begins. All of the gas tanks I currently have are more of a green tint so I think I will monsterline / linex this to match the tan paint. I also took mine out to Grants, New Mexico last weekend and had to battle some giant rocks on the way up the mountain pass in Zunni Canyon. That specific trail is not big bike friendly!IMG_1989.jpgIMG_1990.jpgIMG_1991.jpgIMG_1992.jpgIMG_1947.JPG

Bradyrw625

I got the bike torn down as far as it will go. I busted the tires off by hand. The last person that changed the tires forgot to add the rim strip and left a few pieces of the old one in there. I then began the tedious process of starting paint. First I sanded down the parts that needed it, used rust reformer, put down 2 coats of black or grey CARC zinc primer, 2 coats of CARC flat black or tan, and then used 2 coats of flat black high heat paint for the exhaust parts. I also got some marine grade vinyl to recover the seat. I looked over one of the two bikes I have left that I haven’t restored and found a inventory tag. I’ve found a few of these on the bikes. This UIC code is from Headquarters Company, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division. I’ve already ordered a good amount of parts. I should have the parts need to start reassembly and hopefully this upcoming week I will have a rolling frame. IMG_2214.jpgIMG_2210.jpgIMG_2233.jpgIMG_2234.jpgIMG_2221.jpg

Bradyrw625

Back at it again! I got new rim strips, Heavy Duty inner tubes, and Dunlop D606 tires installed. The wheel bearings seemed a bit rough even though the bike only has 566 miles on it. The sleeve between both bearings was off center a bit and the axle bolts didn’t look great. I replaced all 4 bearings, replaced the sprocket bearing, the cush drive, and cleaned up / lubed (marine grade grease) up the axle bolts. I also painted the last of the parts.

I disassembled the front forks, cleaned them, replaced the seals, and put in some Bel-Ray 15 weight oil. One of the forks would get stuck about half way compressed with the springs out and was almost impossible to separate the top from the bottom. Once I got everything cleaned up I couldn't get them back together. They must be bent. Next weekend I’ll get another fork and do it again. That’s the only thing I’m waiting on to get a rolling chassis together.1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Another Ahab

RAPCO paint isn't CARC. It is regular paint that matches the color of CARC
Right? Wondered about that:

- Because CARC is a formulation (likely at some cost)

- Great though that you can replicate it cheap through RAPCO product (if that's what you want to do)

- Don't know what the acronym stands for, but

- It serves a defensive/ tactical purpose of some kind doesn't it?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right? Wondered about that:

- Because CARC is a formulation (likely at some cost)

- Great though that you can replicate it cheap through RAPCO product (if that's what you want to do)

- Don't know what the acronym stands for, but

- It serves a defensive/ tactical purpose of some kind doesn't it?
Chemical Agent Resistant Paint.

In the case of a chemical attack, we can't have our trucks looking like crap.

Bradyrw625

Started getting the frame together today. Besides the basic assembly I added a new ignition. The USMC version had the key epoxied in. Obviously without that a Marine would lose it in about 2 seconds. Also need to rebuild another fork. The one I ordered was for the right, which I already have.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks