• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Module needed for rt 246

dls12sf

Does anyone have,or know where one is, a 6200 module for a RT 246 command radio? I have looked at most web sites with no luck I need a working module as I have a non working, demilled, one in a complete 246. Radio receives but does not transmit. Plan on installing in my m151 A2.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6200 module

It just so happens my 6200 module is inop as well. Have it on the bench checking it out. There is no filament voltage to the driver or the final. If and when I get to it I will let you know what I find. These radios are a bear to work on if you don't have replacement modules.

Merle

papakb

The A6200 module gets it's filament power through the FL1001 filament current regulator and all that consists of is 2 transistors. You might want to take a look at it.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

dls12sf

Thanks for the info. I don't work on radios so have to depend on someone else who wants to replace my module. These sure are hard to find. Don

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks kurt for the info, and dls12sf will be looking for you a module on this end and will be getting back with you.

Merle
KA7APL

Wile E. Coyote

I don't have the manual in front of me, but on a couple of demilled RT-246 sets I found the HV wire leading from one of the base sockets of A9000 was clipped off right at the socket. Might want to have a look before going too much further.

Last edited:

Jericho

" Army Radio" out of the UK may still have some, also not sure if they are still in BUSINESS but Jar head used to have parts There is another repair station out there listed on the innerweb, just query RT 524 repair, they do receive units 442 ECT AS WELL, along with alignments , last time I communicated with them they said they were having trouble getting serviceable moduales as well

Wile E. Coyote

Paul Keys at Columbia Electronics may have one: http://www.columbiaelectronics.com/ and sometimes lists on Epay, also Mike Murphy (Murphyjunk.net) had some parts as well, though not sure if he has that specific module. Could also try www.americanmilspec.com as he had some 524 and 246 parts as well.

I *think* when I fixed my last one with the cut leads on the A9000, I keyed up transmit on high and measured the voltage present on the top of the final (secured by that collar) and found nothing measurable. That led me to the circuit diagram which I think showed a direct connection to the socket on A9000 which, of course, was clipped.

I would say it's really unusual to have a problem with A6200 itself unless it's either of the tubes, and even at that - the radio will handle a regular VSWR of 4:1 so it's pretty hard to blow the final unless you're transmitting into an open circuit, and I've *never* seen the other tube blow, though I've changed out a couple of finals - mostly because the antenna relay on the front was bad and the transmit energy was going nowhere - and a couple through bad AMU matches (MX-6707s full of water or with pinched coax in the lead from AMU to whip.)

One other thing that happened with the demils is that they'd take the A6400 back half off the radio, pull the shielding and sometimes either or both of the tubes, and then haphazardly reinstall it - sometimes not even on the same radio - paying no attention to the gear alignment or gear position. Normally that shows up as low output or really noisy output or a dial that won't select all the frequencies available though.

Check your Transmit/ Receive antenna relay on the front, too by doing a continuity check between the BNC main 'ANT' front panel connector center pin and the the input pin from the transmitter coax when you hit the transmit switch on an audio accessory (just disable the transmitter itself, first obviously - pull the final, ideally.) I have had MANY of these fail through age and use, and pulling them apart to clean/ adjust contacts etc. does not work.

A9400s also go. If you're on HIGH and hit transmit, does the fan spool up? Basically that module contains some high-power transistors that provide your fan voltages and voltages to feed the A9000 module which in turn gives you your HV for the final etc. They come in two flavours: Silicon, and Germanium. The original Germanium transistors are pretty much all doomed thanks to a known issue that apparently will eventually affect all of them - but the Silicon ones are pretty hardy. The module will be labelled A9400 if Germanium, and A9400A if Silicon. I've never had a Silicon one go, but have replaced a bunch of the Germanium variety.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Houston we have a transmitter finally, but no audio, one step at a time. About an inch from J6204 pin one the supply voltage for the filaments the wire was was pulled or cut into, not the insulation but the wire itself. Had to have been done deliberately, The wire doesn't move there and can't be pinched. Took me a day and a half to find. Will probably find something similar in the audio. Someday I will have a radio to put in my deuce.

Merle

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking for the manual for the receiver section for the RT-246/524 at a reasonable price. I believe the manual is TM 11-5820-399-20, please let me know if I am correct or not. I believe the receiver in the R-442 is similar so manual TM 11-5820-409-35 would possibly work.
Thanks

Merle

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don

I have the TM on the transmitter section. TM 11-5820-399-35
So we are covered there.

Merle

dls12sf

Merle, The manual I have is TM 11 5820 401 10. This is the operators manual not repair, unfortunately. It is for Radio Sets ANVRC 12 and ANVRC 43 44 45 46 47 48 and 49, dated oct 61. Don

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks