• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Module needed for rt 246

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don

Thanks for looking. Will have to keep looking for a manual on the receiver. I still have a few problems with my radio. Transmitter needs alignment, no modulation, and no audio output. The receiver is functional and the transmitter is functional. I have the manual on the transmitter so we can work on your transmitter problem.

Merle

Wile E. Coyote

No audio is unusual. No audio *and* no mod is highly unusual. Just as a baseline, does your radio have a cap on the 'X-MODE' connector on the front panel? That cap isn't just a cap - as it's wired with jumpers in order to provide normal operation of the radio when not connected to VINSON crypto equipment. Inside the radio on the underside of one of the hinged module decks there's what looks like a white, two-position round switch with two possible settings: NORMAL and XMODE. Make sure that's on NORMAL.

It's rare that those XMODE caps are purposely removed during demil, but it's possible it was done as a local thing, or someone just lost the cap.

Wile E. Coyote

On the manuals, there's the -20 and the -35. Most of what you want to know will be in the -20. There are copies around online for free download, though personally I have to have a paper manual in front of me when I'm playing around with things like this.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wile E.Coyote

Thanks for the info. My cap is on X MODE, Checked the switch it was in X MODE, changed it to normal. My generator modulation was turned off. Have audio know but is very weak. Looked at my detected output on the scope and no modulation, lots of noise could be bad microphone.

Merle

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt

The manual I have is TM 11-5820-399-35 and only covers the transmitter section.

Merle
KA7APL

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Houston I have modulation, as I suspected another bad mic element. Transmit frequency is 437 kc high. Keep knocking them out one at a time.

Merle

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt

I downloaded the manuals from radionerds. Tried to view the schematics on the computer, turned out to be very difficult to follow schematics on computer for me being an old analog type of guy, paper schematics and manuals are the only way for me to go. Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

Merle

papakb

Merle, I agree that it's difficult to work from online so copy it to a USB drive and run it down to your local Staples and have them print it out full size or larger so you have a copy to work from. If you have questions please contact me directly at papakb@yahoo.com or 1.408.440.6067

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt
Sounds like a great idea, but I live 140 miles from the nearest town of any size, which is Missoula, Mont. and 168 miles from Idaho Falls, Idaho. Don't get out of town much.
Cut my teeth on the ARC27 in the Navy. Was in VR-1 and VP-8. Both at PAX RIVER 1961 to 1965.

Merle
KA7APL

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don
I can send you my transmitter module to see if that is your problem or you can send me your module and I can possibly repair it. Your choice

Merle

dls12sf

Merle, I will have the module removed this thursday. I can send it out friday. I somehow deleted your address. Could have been a senior minute. Thanks ,, Don

dls12sf

Merle,, Shipped the module out today. P.O. claims it will arrive monday, I'll be surprised if they deliver that quick. Let me know any expenses you encounter and I will send it out. Yhanks a lot for your kind offer of assistance. My address: 205 Lark Dr. Richmond Ky. 40475. Cell phone 859 582 3352 Don

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks