• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about getting a M275 have some questions.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Thinking about getting a M275 have some questions. Now with pictures.

Hi guys I have a few questions on the M275 I found one in the desert and the guy is asking 2.5k for it and it has a gasser engine in it. Now my questions I seen pictures on some with spare tire on the back.. this truck doesn't have a mount on it at all. did some trucks come with them or not? and if so what does the mount look like?

anything to check before getting it?
what should I look for it being a gasser engine?

any help would be great guys it's in rough shape but some TLC I think it will look real nice. oh FYI I don't have pictures there on my friends phone not mine.

Pictures are up

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of the M275 trucks had a spare. They have the short 142" whelbase. The M48 did have a spare tire on the porch. It had a foot longer wheelbase. Only M48 I know of lives with hndrsonj.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
None of the M275 trucks had a spare. They have the short 142" whelbase. The M48 did have a spare tire on the porch. It had a foot longer wheelbase. Only M48 I know of lives with hndrsonj.

I see now guess they labeled the pictures wrong the M48 does have a spare and a tool box of sorts,. when I typed M48 this came up I see now thank youTractor.JPG

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are rare trucks. A gasser is even rarer. I just sold my M275 and I regret that I never had the time or money to restore it to it's former glory. I rescued it from a logger that was going to use it as a pull out truck so at least I did that much.

A member on here bought it and is now giving it the love it deserves. Maybe he will post some pics of his progress.

country

Supporting Vendor
We have had a few of these over the years

The spare carrier is the same as the M342 dump truck I believe

here is one we sold- hopefully pictures will help https://www.easternsurplus.net/VehicleDetails/96/M275-Tractor

We have 2 more in stock. One is in nice condition https://www.easternsurplus.net/VehicleDetails/38/Deuce-Truck-Tractor and one needs total restoration see attached pics.

None have the original spare carrier

If someone is interested in the pair of them please let us know- as we would like to see the rougher truck get saved

Dave
www.easternsurplus.net

M275 2.jpgM275 3.jpgM275 4.jpgM275.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the capacities data plate: towed load 36,000 lbs! So GCWR is nearly 50,000 lbs! Gives you an idea what the designers thought the truck was capable of. I have been at 50,000 lbs in my 275A2, however it has 185 hp LDS power. I suspect with the 331 that will be a slow go. But just fine bobtail.

rustystud

Take a look at the capacities data plate: towed load 36,000 lbs! So GCWR is nearly 50,000 lbs! Gives you an idea what the designers thought the truck was capable of. I have been at 50,000 lbs in my 275A2, however it has 185 hp LDS power. I suspect with the 331 that will be a slow go. But just fine bobtail.
That kind of blows the wind out of the sails of those who think the deuce brakes are crap. I know the trailer brakes have a lot to do also but in an emergency your still left with the trucks brakes alone and that is taken into account by the engineers.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That kind of blows the wind out of the sails of those who think the deuce brakes are crap. I know the trailer brakes have a lot to do also but in an emergency your still left with the trucks brakes alone and that is taken into account by the engineers.
My thought on that, with all due respect, is that this truck comes from the same engineer generation that thought that a semi does not need front brakes at all (old B-Mack, anyone?) and then grudgingly added front brakes with an OFF switch that was recommended to be left in that position. The standards for brake performance at that time appeared to have been "will stop eventually". Different times.

pigpen60

Drove a 72 white dumptruck without front brakes. was told as long as the backers and drums werent there you didnt have to have them. Oh and did I mention I only had 3 out of 4 on the rear!

rustystud

My thought on that, with all due respect, is that this truck comes from the same engineer generation that thought that a semi does not need front brakes at all (old B-Mack, anyone?) and then grudgingly added front brakes with an OFF switch that was recommended to be left in that position. The standards for brake performance at that time appeared to have been "will stop eventually". Different times.

Point taken !

rustystud

Drove a 72 white dumptruck without front brakes. was told as long as the backers and drums werent there you didnt have to have them. Oh and did I mention I only had 3 out of 4 on the rear!
My 1968 Loadstar has the same switch that lock-outs the front brakes. The whole reasoning behind it was that you could maintain control of the truck in an emergency braking situation with the front wheels still turning. They assumed the rear brakes where enough to stop the truck. They were right to a point.

rustystud

Nothing that some sand-blasting cannot fix ! If I had a large enough shop and more money I would love a project like this ! Totally dismantle the truck, even remove the old frame rivets and sand-blast everything ! Have all the frame pieces hot dipped galvanized and everything else powder coated . All bolts stainless steel except frame and axle bolts (grade 8 for them) . OK, enough of my day-dreaming.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. It appears to me that the spacer plates under the fifth wheel are from a 5 ton. The plates on my A2 are much thinner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks