• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about getting a M275 have some questions.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I wont drive it home need to make sure it's safe. going to winch it on the trailer. but as far as I know it was running when he parked it years ago.

71DeuceAK

Funny thing, I just saw an old M275 today! Or at least what I think is one, could be an M35A2 sans bed. It's in rough shape sitting in a graveyard of other abandoned trucks but if I get a good, running Deuce (planning on it!) I'd consider trying to pick it up, for a parts truck if nothing else. Thoughts? Are the M275s really rare? If so I'd consider it for the additional possibility of finding a more loving, caring home for it for what it really is.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Funny thing, I just saw an old M275 today! Or at least what I think is one, could be an M35A2 sans bed. It's in rough shape sitting in a graveyard of other abandoned trucks but if I get a good, running Deuce (planning on it!) I'd consider trying to pick it up, for a parts truck if nothing else. Thoughts? Are the M275s really rare? If so I'd consider it for the additional possibility of finding a more loving, caring home for it for what it really is.

Yes they are rare

sandcobra164

If the TM says it, so be it. I'm sure they made the decision based upon functioning brakes on tractor and trailer. The military didn't really worry too much on speed or time to get up to speed back when these trucks were built. Trailer weight is factored in to the total "towed load" as well. The heaviest load I ever pulled with my deuce was an MK-18 trailer that I installed a MK-14 towbar on. Truck and trailer combined weighed roughly 36,000 pounds and it was a pig through the gears. The brakes on the trailer worked so well that I doubt my trucks brake shoes ever contacted the drums. I was able to get to 55 mph on flat ground and would slow to 45 mph on slight grades. The truck had 11R20's at the time but that 7.8L Multi was doing all it could even with the fuel screw conservatively turned up.

Attachments

rustystud

So the 275 is really rated to tow 36,000 as opposed to the std deuce at 10k?

Thanks
Remember the M275 is a "Fifth Wheel" hauler. The standard Deuce is "Towing" a standard trailer. Totally different animals especially in handling. With my Old M1028 dually CUCV I've trailered a 27ft RV with a class 5 hitch and then later Towed a Fifth Wheel trailer over 35ft long with my in bed fifth wheel . The 35ft fifth wheel towed like it wasn't even there, while the 27ft RV would whip me at times like crazy !!! Especially going over "Snoqualmie Pass" . Sometimes it got down right scary !!!
Also consider when the Deuce is towing a trailer it is towing from a distance of over 5ft from the center of the rear differential. That "distance" acts like a giant lever when towing anything. While the M275 is towing from the center of the differential.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed 36,000# with my old M275A2 and after a trip around the block, changed my mind. Chassis is capable, multifuel, not so much. I did piggyback my M108 (just under 20,000#) from Lake City to West Palm Beach FL with the same M275A2. 55MPH was no problem,

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed 36,000# with my old M275A2 and after a trip around the block, changed my mind. Chassis is capable, multifuel, not so much. I did piggyback my M108 (just under 20,000#) from Lake City to West Palm Beach FL with the same M275A2. 55MPH was no problem,
I tried the 36,000 trailer with the A2 as well, even with LDS power, the axles, transmission and transfer were red hot after a few miles. Soon thereafter a 915 joined the fleet for this kind of work.

johan77

what's the diffrence with the trucks headlights ? my 275 has the headlights high, in place of the blackout lights (and the blackout lights are were the headlights are)

tommys2patrick

My take is that in the time of these vehicles, if it had no winch on the front, the headlights were mounted low and the upper position was for an electric horn on the right side with the small military " low light output" lamp on the upper left side. If it did have a winch, which was somewhat rare for a tractor, then the headlights were mounted in the upper position. all four mounting holes are sized to allow for this re-position. similarly, it was rare to have a bridge plate on the front of a tractor. Mostly because you could have a wide range of loads to be hauled. More so than a standard deuce and a half.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I believe right around 1966 was the last year for the reversible headlight panels and low headlights on non winch trucks. Unlike the later trucks with the rubber isolators on the headlight buckets the gassers and early multifuels had rubber isolators on the mounting panel which can be rotated for high or low headlights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks