• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headsets & FRS Radios

Lee Alessi

i like the idea, i was never able to find a cheap headset and boom mike though.

its 100 for 2 49mhz ones, or figure 50 for a pair of frs's and cheapest i could find the boom/headset was 200!!! yikes!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's another thought! Using peltor racetunes headsets. They have a jack so you can monitor the FRS radio then maybe I can add a noise cancelling boom mic with a PTT switch. I plan on using my old Talkabout 250 radios which have a seperate jack for the mic and ext speaker.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried using a noise cancelling mike for the CB in the deuce, but the background noise was still too much for it. I think a throat mike is the solution...They are available for the FRS systems, but havn't found one to match my CB yet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see those throat mics on ebay and they're cheap, the shipping isn't but it seems to good to be true. I guess I'll have to buy one to try it.

deuceman51

I bought a set of used peltor litecom headsets and they definately make communication good while driving. I can't belive how well they block out sound. The only problem is they act up from time to time and don't work right and the 1/4 mile range is more like 21/2 blocks in a straight line :confused: I wanted to know if anybody has figured out the intercom plug in on them? How does that system work and where can you find the connection cord? Thanks.

Elwenil

Hmmm, I wonder how I missed this thread. I have used several of the Motorola Talkabout series FRS/GMRS radios with assorted mics while playing Airsoft. PTT is about the only way to go, since most of the boom mics will pic up heavy breathing unless you turn the sensitivity way down, then you need to talk loud to get it to pick up. Kind of useless in a tactical situation, and I can only imagine what the noise of a Multifuel would do to one. Throat mics are nice, but they can get really uncomfortable after you have it on for a long time, and when you get sweaty. Also, (no offense) if you are "large boned" and have a larger than average neck, it can be hard to get it to pick up correctly. Boom mics can be a pain sometimes, and the best advice I can give you is not to buy a cheap one. The Motorola ones are ok, but they can get a little uncomfortable after a while. High priced ones tend to be more comfortable and better quality all around. Naturally this can all change depending on how your ears are shaped, but if you get one that doesn't fit well, or clamps your ear in a vice, you will regret it after about an hour. I finally mounted mine on the inside of my Kevlar PASGT helmet. Some of the boom mics out there have the PTT switch on a little strap that attaches to your finger so the button is always ready to push. One radios, GMRS have better reception and quality, but they do require you to have a GMRS license from the FCC to operate the radio. The license is just a paperwork deal, and doesn't require a test like a HAM license. A lot of the guys have been going to the Garmin RINO radios. They have a nice GPS feature, and can actually let you transmit your location to another compatible radio.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info, thanks Elwenil. Mcifnatry has litecoms and I might be buying them if he lets me. He just bought Powercoms which have the FRS radios biult right in. Pretty cool but pricey. The litecoms should suffice for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries Lee! Pics aren't that important anyway. I feel your pain man, just did one last week where the fool got himself ejected and thrown through the branches of a tree. Something about those sudden stops. Glad we have traffic homicide investigaotrs, makes it easy for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks