Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: optimizer long block - hummer 24V or cucv 24v

Thanks

Default snorkel welding done now ready for paint

finished the snorkel with the exception of some clean up before paint. The shop did an excellent job on welding the pipe sections. my welding of the mounting tabs are not near as good but definitely structurally sound. The snorkel is firmly attached to the vehicle. At least I know how to use bondo to clean up my not so perfect welds. since the snorkel will be painted to match the truck I can clean it up before paint.
    now I have to order a couple more pipe sections before I can finish the exhaust but it is ready to attach to the snorkel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas
    85 M1009, 6.5 GEP w/Leroy A-team turbo banks manifold, 4l80e/US shift controller, 205 with ORD Magnum, 4.56 gears, Front - D60 E-locker - 4 inch TC front springs w/zero rate, Rear - 14 bolt D-locker, stock springs ORD shackle flip w/zero rate, 16 inch GM/hutchinson Aluminum double bead locks w 11X39 XZL tires. PSC hydro assist steering.

Thanks

still waiting on the remaining exhaust parts. I need a few more pieces including some flex pipe. the section between the turbo and muffler is going to get about 8 inches of flex pipe.

while I have been waiting I have been working on my trash box/intake transition. it will have four inch pipe from the snorkel into the top and then four inch pipe out the side to the air cleaner. This is mainly for any excess water that gets down the snorkel but it should let any heavy particles fall out of the air flow into the bottom of the box.

I am working on getting it water tight. I was able to get my welder working better, still not the best work but it is better. The wire feed was sticking and not flowing smoothly so I changed to a smaller wire and made some adjustments and now I can run a continuous bead which I could not do before. The plan is to get it sealed to hold water before I put the last side on it and cut the holes for the four inch pipe. It will have pipe all the way to the snorkel and to the air cleaner so I will only need hose clamps and a few inches of rubber hose to connect all of the pieces.
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas
    85 M1009, 6.5 GEP w/Leroy A-team turbo banks manifold, 4l80e/US shift controller, 205 with ORD Magnum, 4.56 gears, Front - D60 E-locker - 4 inch TC front springs w/zero rate, Rear - 14 bolt D-locker, stock springs ORD shackle flip w/zero rate, 16 inch GM/hutchinson Aluminum double bead locks w 11X39 XZL tires. PSC hydro assist steering.

Thanks

Looking good.

Thanks

I have made more progress, work keeps getting in the way and I keep running out of wire in my welder. I went to a smaller wire and it fixed the feed problems I was having. My welding has greatly improved. My grinder is getting a lot less work.

I ditched the flex exhaust pipe for now, you cannot weld it (or I cannot weld it). either the weld is to hot for the flex pipe or you turn it down and it does not stick to the regular pipe. I don't want to use clamps in this short of a distance so no flex pipe for now. The muffler is on rubber hangers so it will move a little and the motor doesn't really move with the ORD motor mounts

I hope to have the hood on this weekend so I can begin working on the hood modifications. will post some pics when that happens.
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas

5. The Following User Says Thank You to richingalveston For This Useful Post:

gimpyrobb (05-22-2019)

Thanks

have not started on the hood but got all of the exhaust to the roof done. I removed the connections to the snorkel. it is not needed. All it did was transfer noise. The pipe is sturdy enough to have support at the fire wall and then again once the roof rack is done. the exhaust is all rubber mounted and sounds pretty good.

All this work, wore out my best helper.
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richingalveston For This Useful Post:

ridenby (06-06-2019)

Thanks

I ordered 3 different insulating materials from summit. I checked into the ceramic coatings and they are way to expensive for what the accomplish. The specs on most only show a 100 degree drop from the inside heat to the outside temp of the pipe. The pipe wraps have much better performance. I purchased the lava rock based wrap along with some additional 1/2 thick wrap and then an aluminum wrap for the las layer on the muffler. I have some 1 inch thick insulating material that is used in Kitchen exhaust systems. I wraps the duct to give it a 2 hour fire rating. This material is supposed to be good for up to 1800 degrees for which my exhaust should never reach.
    The plan is to use the ceramic 1/2 inch thick material for the first layer on the muffler, then use the kitchen hood wrap and then use the aluminum wrap for an outer protective layer to hold it all together.

The pipes will get the lava rock wrap and then the 1/2 thick ceramic. I think I have enough to wrap everything under the hood except the manifolds. The manifolds look like they are going to be difficult to wrap. I may purchase some more of the 1/2 thick material to wrap the manifolds once I get everything else done.

I should be able to get it all done this weekend. I will post pics as it happens.

Rich
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas

Thanks

Default muffler wrap

i got some of the work done. painted the snorkel and got it reinstalled. I still have to finish the transition box that goes between snorkel and air intake. I did get the silicone connectors.

i insulated the muffler section with the 1/2 thick heat sheild insulation and then the aluminum muffler sheild. the materials are basicly the same except the 1/2 inch thick material has thick insulation and real thin aluminum, it is about the same as heavy duty reynolds wrap foil. The muffler rap has a small amount of insulation but a decent grade of aluminum. It is thick enough to fold and hammer the corners. The straps however are not good. i am going to replace with screw type hose clamps. I tried to put my thicker exhaust hood insulation on but it is to thick. It would not mold aroung the muffler well and was to bulky for the muffler wrap to cover. '
    The lava rock exhaust wrap is on the tube sections and it went on very easy. did not have to wet it and it stretched around the corners well. I used the heat tape to put on the lava rock wrap ends to keep it from fraying and also to tape the starter section when beginning the wrap. it worked well for that but did not adhear to the muffler wrap very well. when fist put on it seamed to stick good but within 5 minutes it was letting go. i do not have enough of the 1/2 thick material to do the rest of the pipe section so i think i am going to double wrap it with the lava rock. For the pipe outside the hood i am going to get one more muffler wrap and one more roll of the lava rock and put the lava rock on and then try to do a real neat job on the muffler wrap. I can then paint the muffler wrap with engine paint. Only items that did not work that well are the clamps that come with the muffler shield and the tape.
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas

Thanks

had to stop working on the exhaust and get some work done on the snorkel transition box. I got the 4 inch connections done. Next step is to make and weld some tabs on the outside of the box where it will mount to the inner fender. I will then paint the inside and weld the back side of the box on. I am using engine paint so the welding does not mess it up but just a little around where the weld is done. once I get the cover on I will then paint the inside again as best I can through the 4 inch hole. last steps will be to paint the outside of the box and then I plan to plastic dip the box. The welds are pretty good but I want to be sure it is water tight.

I wish I could have built the box out of aluminum so I would not have to worry about painting the inside of the box but my welding is only good enough to work with steel at this time. I have done aluminum with my wire feed before but my skills and probably my equipment are not good enough for aluminum.
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas

Thanks

I got the air box done, I painted it well with all the extra paint I had. I filled the inside with paint and rolled it around. With light and mirror I was able to check and made sure all surfaces were covered. I painted the outside with two coats primer and three coats top paint. I did not use any rubber coating. I may try to get some self adhesive insulation to put on the outside in the future. It may try to condensate on the inside with temp changes.
    I also got the muffler and exhaust pipe that is under the hood wrapped I have to get the roof pipe bent and all of the exterior pipe wrapped. I also have to get some long hose clamps from an HVAC supply company to replace the existing straps on the muffler wrap.
    Good news is I can start on the hood now.
    Rich
    Galveston, Texas

Thanks

Iím ready to hear that thang running.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast