• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-O-Matic power steering for the M35

apbloom

Friends:

You may recall that the manufacturer of the M35 Air-O-Matic power steering kit discontinued production earlier this year.

Their stated reason was that material costs (aluminum and steel) had risen to a point that made the manufacture too expensive, and that there was a dwindling demand. I have pestered them into reconsidering.

Now they have notified me that they MAY be building one run of 50 power steering kits to be available in the new year.

I am still negotiating with them to try to get the lowest price possible. It appears that the list price will be around $1750 per kit. As usual, there will be discounts for fire departments and purchasers of multiple kits.

If you are new to the hobby, and are not familiar with the product, please feel free to contact me, and I will explain the system to you. Please let me know if you are interested in one or more kits by emailing me at "info(remove this)@M35products.com" or by leaving a message for me on this forum's message board.

Our website, www.M35products.com lists a toll-free number that is not in service. Please use 631-749-0100 Ext 1. (The website is down for a day or two for updating of info)

Thank you

Arthur P. Bloom

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get a pic tommorrow, but there is a long threaded "tube" that goes thru the frame. I need that,and the ones associated with it. Pics tommorrow.

jwaller

aeroquip, earls, russell, summitt, jegs, and holley, all make an fittings to include bulkhead fittings in all different sizes you cant find one of them that fits?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an air-o-matic that I bought this spring from apbloom and I do not remember any fittings for the kit that pass through the frame. The closest to that is the fitting where it passes from the inside of the cab to the engine compartment and that does not come in the kit, it is part of the truck. A pic would help.

apbloom

The fittings that the fellows are referring to pass the air lines through the frame rail, near the draglink assembly, rather than having the air lines pass over the frame rail. It makes a neater installation. The military requires those fittings, but the kits that we sell for the after market do not include them. I will contact the factory and try to determine the part number and maker's name. I may be able to convince them to include the connectors in the new kits.

aboonski

Art!

I am still waiting to acquire a rebuild kit for my system - the O-Ring is bad and I need a new one. I also need to know how to get inside of the cylinder to replace the O-Ring. Give me a call or just reply to this post. Al Broadbent 321 427-3070

apbloom

The O rings and other spares are out of production at the moment. I am hopeful that the factory will store a supply of spares once production resumes. You can call 800-537-7444 ext 136 and ask if they have any O rings available. To open the cylinder, there is a large snap ring on the end of the cylinder where the piston goes in and out, that allows access to the guts of the cylinder.

aboonski

Thank you very much for the reply Art! My piston is really going through a lot of air when I turn right. My low air warning buzzer goes off an everything! I'll try contacting the factory with the number you provided. I also appreciate the info about getting into the cylinder as well. Great hearing from you again!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I distinctly remember that spare parts would be and are available before I bought mine. That was in May. Are we now saying spare parts may not be available???? :shock: If so I see several very pissed off people when they realize their 1300$ or higher kits may be worthless for a 3$ o-ring that may not be able to be purchased anywhere! :evil:

aboonski

Spare Parts for the Air-O-Matic Power Steering System

I just got off the phone with Arthur about ordering a replacement O-Ring for my power piston. I got my setup used from someone who bought a DRMO Deuce that had been sitting for quite some time. I will be calling the factory on Monday to see when I can obtain a replacement O-Ring which will restore my power steering to like new condition. If more than one person calls the factory, it should generate serious interest for the manufacturers to crank out some spare parts for now and long into the future. These systems have proven themselves for decades now and very little goes wrong with them when they are used constantly. It is only when they sit idle for extended periods of time that the O-Rings tend to deteriorate.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bulkhead fittings are available at Napa. I use them all the time on over-the-road trucks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bulkhead fittings are not the problem. Plese post the contact info for the factory. I want to order a couple spares before they disappear forever. :evil:

apbloom

I am sure that we will be able to provide any spares now that production is contemplated. I would hesitate to panic, and worry that your $1300 kit will be irreparable for a $3 part. I have never needed to replace ANY parts on the hundreds of kits that I have sold, with the exception of the rubber boot that protects the piston shaft, after a user ran aground on a rocky trail.

Any O rings that I have sold have been for old kits that lay around in shelves of former distributors. "Use it or lose it" is the rule with these pistons. A little air-tool oil injected into the compressor intake every 1,000 miles or so will keep the O ring from drying out or adhering to the cylinder wall.

The O rings are not just O rings as found in hydraulic applications. The assembly is a metal piston, with an O ring embedded in it. I am in the process of finding the OEM for that assembly, so not to worry.

TacticalTruck

apbloom said:
I have never needed to replace ANY parts on the hundreds of kits that I have sold. The O rings are not just O rings as found in hydraulic applications. The assembly is a metal piston, with an O ring embedded in it.

I would guess that as the get some miles on them your demand for repair parts will go up.

What do you mean "embedded"? I'm curious how you embed rubber into metal, vucanized, molded, glued? Does it tear or stick when you attempt to remove it?

Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks