• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project m1010

WARWAG

So as a few of you know I picked up my new M1010 this week. I won it on Govplanet and it had a code of A1. Well she's no A1. But close enough that I took her anyway. She has 2408 original miles on her. Yes only 2408. NOT 102,408. The condition of everyday wear items prove that as well as the factory applied paint/over spray still present on her. The seats (after I got all the bird crap off of them) look new with the exception of said bird dropping stains on the seat. The acid in the droppings discolored parts of the seats. The dash is completely sun baked to death. As well as the passenger side seat belt. A window was left open for years apparently and I have dust in every nook and cranny. They cannibalized some interior dash parts and the DUVAC system. They removed the factory A/C unit and installed a window mount unit. I have a line on a replacement unit and cover as well as some extra parts I will get into later. The drive shaft was recently bent from being loaded onto a trailer and delivered to the yard I picked her up at. The rear door was tweeked a bit from someone trying to close it with the stop still in place. Thats was a quick and easy fix.

Now that you have the basics I will delve into my plans for her. She will be my Expedition rig. I am a perfectionist and will be taking my time getting everything right. She will have a lift, bigger tires, taller gears and some serious bullet proof items added to the running gear. These include a P.A.T.C. Raptor 700R4. This can easily handle 600 HP and 600 FT LBS of Torque. Mated to that will be a new ORD NP205 with a Magnum Box bolted to her. That will give me 5:1 reduction if I need to go that low. My cruising RPM will be 1778 at 75 MPH. My Crawl Ratio will be from 85 to 114. Thats with the torque multiplication of the automatic. All of my U Joints will be 1410 units. Those will come later on in the build For now I will be focusing on getting her up and running.

First order of business will be getting her started. They removed the DUVAC system so I will be going with the Plan B modification. For those of you who don't know what that is it is simply how Chevy should have designed the electrical system on the CUCVs to begin with. It will have a separate 12 volt and 24 volt system. I will post later on who came up with this idea as his name currently escapes me. I suffer from CRS occasionally. Once completed a new set of batteries and a new drive shaft will be fitted. Ive located a drive shaft and it will be on its way soon.

For now you have the outline of my basic plan. I will be posting pics as I delve into this project.

Last edited:

WARWAG

So it begins.

Attachments

WARWAG

I picked up a new throttle cable assembly today. I decided to remove the front seat to help with some much needed space. I also decided it was a good time to start cleaning out the cabin of the truck. The truck would have made a great prop in THE BIRDS.
images.jpg
I just finished cleaning of one seat.
20161006_203807.jpg20161006_124303.jpg20161006_124317.jpg20161006_124324.jpg20161006_185401.jpg
Found this behind the passenger seat. Will make for some nice garage art.
20161006_120345.jpg
The pictures just don't show you how much dust and bird crap there is inside the cab.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not try and camp in the Walmart parking lot with the better half. It tends to rock back and forth because of the high center of gravity if you're a restless sleeper. You'll get both odd looks and applause when you exit the vehicle in the morning! I'd suggest some stabilizing outriggers or hydraulic load levelers. It also gets hot inside so add an escape/vent hatch to the roof with a ladder so you can enjoy the wonderful view from the top of the box too. Great for viewing bears bare and suntanning. Wouldn't the boys at the next rally be jealous seeing you in your bed clothes enjoying your morning coffee, lounged out on the roof.

The 1010 was my first MV so it's a gateway truck. I can't tell you about the memories it gave me. No really....I can't. It also got me hooked to my 9 deuce acquisitions, a P-4, a 51 military chev panel and Steel Soldiers.

It may be too late for both of us, even with the right 12 step program, you'll still back it into a lake to go fishing, climb a mountain, carry Veterans and whimper when it goes to a new home.

Really looking forward to the build progress and her M1010 adventures when you're done.

WARWAG

I ordered a replacement drive shaft and a few other parts. While those are on there way I moved onto cleaning out the truck. I first started on the engine compartment. I found the Mother of all critter nests under the intake manifold. I removed the nest and all its associated funk. I then pressure washed the rest of the crud out and washed the rest of the engine compartment down.

Attachments

Last edited:

WARWAG

I then started on the interior. The interior was completely coated in bird **** and other waste. I removed everything from the interior and then washed out the truck. I scrubbed down all the bird crap and washed it away along with tons of dust. Next I started on the seats. baked on bird crap is pretty hard to get off. The first seat took me 2 hours to get it all off. The second seat took me about 20 minutes with Simple Green. Much easier with the proper cleaner. All the trim and seat belts came next. The door panels were cleaned and Armoralled. In fact everything was given a heaping helping of Armorall. Several times. The seats, trim and door panels just drank it up. Finally everything soaked up about as much as it could. The door panels look great as well as the seats. I will have the passenger side installed tomorrow. Cant wait for the parts to arrive.

Attachments

Last edited:

WARWAG

After I get the drive shaft, alternator and batteries installed plan B will be completed. The Dog Head Relay will then be next on the list. I will then pull all the glow plugs and squirt in some oil. This will set for a day then I will put a breaker bar on the cam shaft pulley. I will rotate the cam shaft and feel for any mechanical stoppage. If it stops then there would most likely be a stuck valve. I suspect all will be well. After that I will change the oil and top off all the fluid levels and crank her up. I will have a video of that.

Last edited:

WARWAG

I flew back home to vote and awaiting me was my new drive shaft (new to me). I picked up a couple of Spicer 1350 greasable U Joints and pressed them in. With the drive shaft in place and the U Joints full of Amsoil synthetic grease that part is done. I fly out tomorrow and should be back before Thanksgiving. I should have some more packages waiting for me by then.

Attachments

WARWAG

Query,,,any plans for heavier axles?
No. She has 1 ton axles under her already. Dana 60 front and a Corp 14 bolt rear. The rear has a Detroit locker. The front is most likely open but there were a few that had the Trac Locks in them from the factory. If its open I will put in a ARB selectable locker. For the Dana 60 I will install some 35 Spline cromoly axle shafts.

WARWAG

I flew back home for Thanksgiving and need to head out again soon. My main work since i have been home has been dealing with the field mice and pack rats. Little bastards! I have piled up quite the kill count so far. I placed one of my game cameras in the engine compartment and was pretty surprised at the amount of critters getting in. Luckily they haven't had time to establish a home. While I was gone I had my wife tossing the sticky traps with the mice on them. She's a Trooper for sure. I have one dead pack rat and several mice on the list from her everyday persistence. When I arrived home a converted 2 old 7.63x39 wooden ammo cases into death traps. I screwed in one large rat trap in each and placed 2 large rat sticky traps in them as well. They have been very effective in my battle.

WARWAG

I have also started to work on the electrical system. I will be going the "Plan B" route as stated before. So far I have coated all of the wires that went to the DUVAC system in liquid electrical tape. After that dried I wrapped everything with electrical tape. I have a few questions on where a few disconnected wires go. I can wait on that until I get everything else ready.

Ordak

I flew back home for Thanksgiving and need to head out again soon. My main work since i have been home has been dealing with the field mice and pack rats. Little bastards! I have piled up quite the kill count so far. I placed one of my game cameras in the engine compartment and was pretty surprised at the amount of critters getting in. Luckily they haven't had time to establish a home. While I was gone I had my wife tossing the sticky traps with the mice on them. She's a Trooper for sure. I have one dead pack rat and several mice on the list from her everyday persistence. When I arrived home a converted 2 old 7.63x39 wooden ammo cases into death traps. I screwed in one large rat trap in each and placed 2 large rat sticky traps in them as well. They have been very effective in my battle.
I have shot a few mice out the tail pipe before. Pretty impressive how far they fly. My dad had a problem with them getting into an old ford. We used about 4 spring traps and we emptied them daily for about a week and then they pretty much left it alone. Just a big pain in the rear

WARWAG

DOG HEAD STARTER RELAY MOD:
This morning I started and finished the Dog Head Starter Relay mod (Thanks to Dog Head for quick and easy mod). Every CUCV owner should do this modification ASAP when the first get there steel soldier. This one took me about an hour. I used water proof connectors instead of the quick and easy electrical connectors most people use. They both do the same thing in the long run. I like water proof connectors and heat shrink. What can I say? I have issues....... Follow the quick pict tutorial. If you plan to do this mod go to the CUCV STICKY page. Dog Head's mod is listed near the top.

Attachments

WARWAG

I used RED heat shrink to to designate Positive and BLACK Negative leads. I then used two more shorter larger black heat shrink (didn't have red handy in the size I needed) to give addition stress releaf. I also coated the top of the terminals in red and black liquid tape to signify positive and negative. It also protects them from accidental shorts. That also is not likely to ever happen as the Relay is behind the dash. Its a bit over kill I know, but thats ok.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks