• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project m1010

tbearatkin

Warwag what is the approx height from the floor to the top of your seat. Mine sits at about 12-13 inches and seems too low for comfort for my legs I should have measured my M1009 when I had it to see what height they were at as it did not seem like my legs were cramped in it.

Last edited:

WARWAG

I went to the junk yard but could not find a 1988/1989 passenger side drop NP241 Cam shift plate. I found a million drivers side NP241 drop plates which have the mirror image of what I need. Those plates are not identical but are the same thickness. I took one off of a 1998 chevy 2500 with manual Tcase shifter and took her home. An hour later I now have what I need to finish my NP241 swap. Its a direct swap with the exception of the Shift Cam Plate. Pretty easy to make though. You may be able to even find one at your local junk yard. I was 6 days late at my local junk yard as the one that was there was gone when I arrived.

Attachments

Last edited:

WARWAG

I held the 1998 drivers side plate over the Old NP208 plate and clocked it to the correct angle. I then used a sharpie drew out where I wanted to cut both plates. I then cut out each plate and added the new piece to the old NP208 shift cam. Welded her up and its done.

WARWAG

Warwag what is the approx height from the floor to the top of your seat. Mine sits at about 12-13 inches and seems too low for comfort for my legs I should have measured my M1009 when I had it to see what height they were at as it did not seem like my legs were cramped in it.
I have Dynamatt sound deadening , jute padding and high end carpet. I measured 13-1/4".

WARWAG

I have had my Campulance back now for almost two weeks. I live at approx 6500 feet. Thats pretty high for a non turbo diesel. I took it on a trip to Overland Expo up and down some serious grades. On that trip I averaged 10.85 MPG. I was able to sustain speeds of 75 except on steep grades. I was as slow as 50 mph but was very impressed with the new trans. I was stuck in 2wd as there was a problem with the new T-case or so we thought. Turns out the shift lever cam for the Tcase (used the np208 shift cam lever) was clocked wrong and was hitting the T-case and not able to shift into 4 wheel drive. Problem is now fixed and the truck went back into the shop to wrap up the install. Now everything is done and I have been driving her just under two weeks locally at an average of 6500'. My Highway mileage is 14.86 mpg relatively level ground at 55/65 mph. My combined city and highway (approx 75/25). 10.64 MPG. The problem I can see at this altitude is the lack of air getting into the engine. At sea level I was shocked at how much MORE power my M1028 had. I was truly shocked. To maintain speeds of 65 mph and up I need to keep her into the throttle on any slight incline. This would not be the case at lower altitudes. So in those cases you would see even a greater MPG gain. I suspect adding a turbo will greatly increase my mileage.

AROUND TOWN: The new 700R4 is amazing around town! I can actually pull ahead of traffic from a red light! You won't win any races but the deeper first gear of 3.06 really helps get my 6,000 lbs plus Ambulance rolling. Its a whole new vehicle. The driving character of the vehicle has completely changed for the better.

CRUISING THE HIGHWAYS: As I said before at this altitude on any incline I need to slightly keep the throttle up a bit. At lower altitudes I know this would not be the case. Remember this is a Ambulance. With a M1009 or M1028 M1008 I suspect You would not have this issue. Steep grades still present a problem but not like before. Its still much better than stock. A Turbo would solve all of these problems.

OFF ROAD: Well I was pretty impressed with the stock set up. Now that I have a lower 1st gear and a Lower Low Range she is even better. In fact it is much better than I expected. The NP241 does indeed shift much much smoother than stock NP208. Its a very nice combo to have.

PARTING THOUGHTS: At lower altitudes this would be an exceptional Trans and T-Case combo. If you live at altitude then I would highly recommend Installing a Banks or other Turbo system. For me it is a must. On smaller lighter vehicle like the M1009 then I suspect it wouldn't be as big an issue as it is with my heavy Campulance. Would I do it again? Yes I would. The increased drivability of the truck is HUGE or as my favorite President would say "YUGE"! At the end of the day it brings your 80s Truck a few steps closer to modern day highway speeds. If I want I can cruise 75 mph and up and pass people as needed. I could only dream of that before. (still running my 4.56 diffs as well)

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I have had my Campulance back now for almost two weeks. I live at approx 6500 feet.

If you live at altitude then I would highly recommend Installing a Banks or other Turbo system. For me it is a must.
Thanks for the update post.

Wasn't sure here:

- Is the turbo already installed? Easy install?

chevymike

Excellent news. I have been weighing the pros and cons of which OD setup I want to use. Here is where I am at.

700R4 - PRO: Better 1st gear and OD ratio than other options, similar size to TH400 so no driveshaft mods, mechanical system, lockup convertor CON: Needs to be beefed up for M1010 use, need to find the elusive TV bracket, have to change trans output shaft or t-case input shaft to match spline count

4L60E - PRO: Better 1st gear and OD ratio than other options, similar size to TH400 so no driveshaft mods, easier to find TPS sender that is direct replacement for stock vacuum switch, lockup convertor CON: Needs to be beefed up for M1010 use, extra cost for controller, electronic, have to change trans output shaft or t-case input shaft to match spline count

4L80E - PRO: Stronger in stock form than 700R4/4L60E, will match spline count of t-case, decent OD ratio, lockup convertor CON: Will take more work to fit, i.e. crossmember, linkage and driveshaft mods, extra cost for controller, electronic

Gear Vendor OD - PRO: Easy install as all mods are at the back of the t-case, can be done in a day (not including driveshaft mod), unless catastrophic failure, this system is likely not going to leave you stranded CON: Worst OD ratio of the group, shortening rear DS, extra maintenance of OD unit

If I could easily get a hold of the700R4 TV bracket, that is likely the cheapest and best route but trying to find one at a junkyard or continually searching for one to come up on Ebay just makes this option the least desirable to me. Other three options allow me to get off the shelf parts easily. Gear Vendor would by far be my first pick IF they had a better OD ratio.

Here is a rundown of RPM versus different OD ratios. This is at a set 70MPH with 33" tires and stock 4.56 gears,

700R4/4L60E = .70 ratio - RPM 2275
4L80E = .75 ratio - RPM 2438
GV OD = .78 ratio - RPM 2535

Decisions... decisions...

richingalveston

I would consider a turbo before the overdrive. without the turbo, you will only go into overdrive when going down hill, especially at your elevation. The 6.2 does not have enough HP to keep the truck in overdrive. I installed the 4l80e before the turbo and the truck could not stay in OD. It was very disappointing. And mine was a 1009, much lighter and did not have the wind drag the box creates on the back of yours.
You will not like the drivability of the truck with the overdrive and no turbo, not enough HP to use it.

Just my 2 cents, I have been there.
Rich

WARWAG

I would consider a turbo before the overdrive. without the turbo, you will only go into overdrive when going down hill, especially at your elevation. The 6.2 does not have enough HP to keep the truck in overdrive. I installed the 4l80e before the turbo and the truck could not stay in OD. It was very disappointing. And mine was a 1009, much lighter and did not have the wind drag the box creates on the back of yours.
You will not like the drivability of the truck with the overdrive and no turbo, not enough HP to use it.

Just my 2 cents, I have been there.
Rich

Actually the 700R4 has a lower first gear (lower than the 4l80E) and I must say it has greatly improved the in city driving. You are correct about the Overdrive issue without a turbo. It definitely needs a turbo. Step Two.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PARTING THOUGHTS: At lower altitudes this would be an exceptional Trans and T-Case combo. If you live at altitude then I would highly recommend Installing a Banks or other Turbo system. For me it is a must. On smaller lighter vehicle like the M1009 then I suspect it wouldn't be as big an issue as it is with my heavy Campulance. Would I do it again? Yes I would. The increased drivability of the truck is HUGE or as my favorite President would say "YUGE"! At the end of the day it brings your 80s Truck a few steps closer to modern day highway speeds. If I want I can cruise 75 mph and up and pass people as needed. I could only dream of that before. (still running my 4.56 diffs as well)
Inspiring to read! Started ordering parts again! Looking for the bracket of course... :beer:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive been to the junk yard several times trying to find the TV Bracket for someone. So far I have not found a one. I will keep looking. If I find two I will let you know.
Thanks, I will be doing the same here... I thought about checking today but it pouring right now

WARWAG

Hi Guys and Gals,
Well the beast is in need of some repair. Trying to recover my buried to the frame Campulance in mud with 150 of combined straps and Bow shackles. Well one of the 20,000 lbs rated straps broke and sent a bow shackle clean through my left rear door. The door was caved in and a hole you can pass a football through. Thank fully I had everyone well away as I know the potential danger these this can cause. The force of the strap coming back tore my newish warn winch rope weight (you hang it over a with cable to help it drop down if a cable breaks) in half! just tore it into 3 pieces. I wish I had a high speed camera set up to see how the hell it could have done that. I need a used drivers side (left) rear door with all the hardware as the Bow shackles destroyed all the internal parts as well. I also need the out side hinges as the door folded in and bent all three hinges. The force of the bow shackle coming into the box actually pulled about 3 straps and their shackles in as well. Scary how much force was generated. The truck is now day 5 still stuck. So far One 406 Unimog with 48" tires got stuck and two Pinzgauers both with 10K winches had no luck getting me out. The closest anything can get to me is 140 feet or so. My wife and I spent two days digging out the Unimog and and throwing in pumpkin sized boulders. Then we laid sand tracks down to finally get her out.

The crazy thing was everything was dry. BONE DRY on the surface. We had crazy amount of rain this year here in Arizona a few months back. The area we went to was on the down hill side flat canyon area and the under ground run off was about two feet under the top of the ground. I sunk in and came to a instant halt. Then water started to fill in all under the truck. I grabbed all the recovery gear and kept the wifes truck back about 160 feet or so. Used every single strap to rearch my truck. Oh well. Hopefully and God Willing we will be out sometime Friday or Saturday. I will keep you posted. Oh I also need a new drivers side door. its all caved in.

Another Ahab

Hi Guys and Gals,
Well the beast is in need of some repair. Trying to recover my buried to the frame Campulance in mud with 150 of combined straps and Bow shackles. Well one of the 20,000 lbs rated straps broke and sent a bow shackle clean through my left rear door. The door was caved in and a hole you can pass a football through. Thank fully I had everyone well away as I know the potential danger these this can cause.
Whoa....glad NO one got hurt.

Sorry about your trouble there.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Through the door? I gotta see that. Continuously reminding folks about the hazards of recovery operations works well, especially in pictures. Anyone standing around a recovery operation is safe as long as they're not standing around a recovery operation.

Glad you had those results. It's even better seeing the truck getting worked. I hope you took pictures of some of your trips, I miss those M1010 adventures.

This one took over 100,000 lbs of anchor before it broke loose so the forces aren't conceivable, until it's through the door or out the butt.

P6010055.JPG

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks