• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project m1010

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flew back home for Thanksgiving and need to head out again soon. My main work since i have been home has been dealing with the field mice and pack rats. Little bastards! I have piled up quite the kill count so far. I placed one of my game cameras in the engine compartment and was pretty surprised at the amount of critters getting in. Luckily they haven't had time to establish a home. While I was gone I had my wife tossing the sticky traps with the mice on them. She's a Trooper for sure. I have one dead pack rat and several mice on the list from her everyday persistence. When I arrived home a converted 2 old 7.63x39 wooden ammo cases into death traps. I screwed in one large rat trap in each and placed 2 large rat sticky traps in them as well. They have been very effective in my battle.
I use a product called "Fresh Cab" with excellent results.
All natural product and I buy it a Tractor Supply.
It smells good to us and the mice/rats can't stand it.

I use it in my MVs and RVs.
Have had excellent results.

Worth a shot.

Ordak

I used red heat shrink to to designate Positive and Negative leads. I then used two more large black heat shrink (didn't have red handy in the size I needed) to give addition stress releaf. I also coated the top of the terminals in red and black liquid tape to signify positive and negative. It also protects them from accidental shorts. That also is not likely to ever happen as the Relay is behind the dash. Its a bit over kill I know, but thats ok.
Good idea, I will have to remember this when I complete mine.

WARWAG

M1010 wiring information needed.

Hello fellow M1010 owners. I need a bit of help trying to figure out where the wires below go. You will see the connection block. I suspect they go there but not sure. Can someone check there block as pictured and tell me the colors of the wires that go there? Or take a close up pick of your M1010 connection block? Thanks for any help.

20161219_140240.jpg20161219_140248.jpg

Mike

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like your glow plug relay is missing.

all the loose wires go to it.

red on one big stud, orange and the double orange on the other big stud.

light blue on one small stud, and the small ringed pink with black line(looks red in your pic) on the other small stud.

Be sure to use the correct relay. look at the stickies.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used the st85,and gpr109 iirc.

As long as it has no continuity between any terminals to the mounting tab, it should be ok.

Any reason this wasn't just posted on your truck thread?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll merge this to it.

WARWAG

I spent yesterday working on the truck. I pulled all of the glow plugs and sprayed penetrating oil in each cylinder. The glow plugs looked new and had a very light diesel sheen on them. See the pics. After spraying the oil in the cylinders I went under the front and attached a breaker bar to the crank shaft bolt. I was easily able to rotate the cylinders 4 complete times. There was resistance as you would expect from rotating such mass but it was easy to do so. Everything felt very smooth with no problems. After that I put all the glow plugs back in and reattached the glow plug leads. One of the electrical leads was broken so I need to fix that still. I will meter the plugs as well. One of the heater hoses had a small leak in it. So I removed both and will be picking some hosing in the morning to replace them. That and some constant tension hose clamps. I also checked on the diesel fired heater. It was missing. No surprise there really. I then traced the fuel line that supplies it and found the shut off valve for it. Its now closed as well as the secondary ball valve. I will remove this line at a later date. For now it won't be shooting diesel fuel into the empty heater housing. The new Glow Plug Relay has been set aside for me at Napa. Will pick that up in the morning.

The Rat and Mice battle continues. One more dead pack Rat to add to the kill list as well as several more mice. They are starting to become more and more scarce. My wife ordered some mice be gone smelly stuff a member hear suggested. I will see if its in as well. I think there population has severely been reduced. You can never get rid of them completely here in the Bush. Thats about it for now. Im getting closer to getting her started. I think some time after Christmas. Will have a full vid of her first start up in what I suspect in many years.

Mike

20161220_154915_resized.jpg20161220_143039_resized.jpg20161220_162213_resized.jpg20161221_223829.jpg

Last edited:

WARWAG

Yesterday I picked up everything I needed to get my Ambulance up and running. This morning I waited to watch our New Commander and Chief take the Oath of Office. GO TRUMP! I was also hoping the storm would pass on by during that time. No luck. So in the pouring rain I went to get her ready. I changed out the old heater hoses with blue silicone hoses and used double wrap hose clamps. I wanted to use constant tension hose clamps but there ends are just to big. After that I filled the radiator back up. I then drained the oil and removed the filter. While the oil was draining away I installed the Glow Plug Relay (ST85 thanks Doc). I didn't have the small screws need to secure it so I drilled and taped out the old holes to 1/4"x20. All secure and wired up according to Doc's picture. Then I crawled under her again and put the drain plug back in and installed the new oil filled oil filter. I filled the engine up with new oil. Next was the new Duracell 750 cca series 65 batteries. Everything tightened up and a thorough check of the engine compartment. I then connected the batteries and was greeted with the ambulance box fan and compartments lights coming on. I could also hear an electric fuel pump turn on and build up pressure. Hmmm.. So I went and turned off all the lights and searched for the on switch for the heater fan. No Joy there. I figured it could wait. So I went and turned the key to activate the glow plugs. The light bulbs are missing so not sure if there energizing or not. I waited about a minute and turned her over. She was turning over very fast. But nothing. I started over. Still no joy. Again I waited and tried a 3rd time. A slight white smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe and I could just smell a slight hint of diesel fuel. Still nothing. After picking my son up at school I decided to try again. Two more times and nothing. When I changed the old oil it looked good with no chunks in it or anything like that. The magnet had the typical crud on it that cleaned off easily with no metal. Not sure what is going on. In fact its cold but my Dodge can come to life with no glow plugs (just barely). Any thoughts?

I just checked to see if my lift pump is working. I cracked open the valve on the fuel filter and I am getting fuel pumping out when I crank her over. Need to check voltage at my glow plug relay next.

Checked the glow plug relay. I have 24 volts going to the TOP large post Heavy Gauge red wire. I have 12 volts going to the smaller upper terminal/post BLUE wire. I have 12 volts going to the lower small terminal/post pinkish wire with black stripe. Nothing going to the lower Larger terminal with the dual large gauge faded orange wires with a small gauge orangish wire.

I Have power going to the IP and can hear it open/close? when I disconnect the power to it.

The engine spins pretty fast while cranking.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

WARWAG

Help needed

Yesterday I picked up everything I needed to get my Ambulance up and running. This morning I waited to watch our New Commander and Chief take the Oath of Office. GO TRUMP! I was also hoping the storm would pass on by during that time. No luck. So in the pouring rain I went to get her ready. I changed out the old heater hoses with blue silicone hoses and used double wrap hose clamps. I wanted to use constant tension hose clamps but there ends are just to big. After that I filled the radiator back up. I then drained the oil and removed the filter. While the oil was draining away I installed the Glow Plug Relay (ST85 thanks Doc). I didn't have the small screws need to secure it so I drilled and taped out the old holes to 1/4"x20. All secure and wired up according to Doc's picture. Then I crawled under her again and put the drain plug back in and installed the new oil filled oil filter. I filled the engine up with new oil. Next was the new Duracell 750 cca series 65 batteries. Everything tightened up and a thorough check of the engine compartment. I then connected the batteries and was greeted with the ambulance box fan and compartments lights coming on. I could also hear an electric fuel pump turn on and build up pressure. Hmmm.. So I went and turned off all the lights and searched for the on switch for the heater fan. No Joy there. I figured it could wait. So I went and turned the key to activate the glow plugs. The light bulbs are missing so not sure if there energizing or not. I waited about a minute and turned her over. She was turning over very fast. But nothing. I started over. Still no joy. Again I waited and tried a 3rd time. A slight white smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe and I could just smell a slight hint of diesel fuel. Still nothing. After picking my son up at school I decided to try again. Two more times and nothing. When I changed the old oil it looked good with no chunks in it or anything like that. The magnet had the typical crud on it that cleaned off easily with no metal. Not sure what is going on. In fact its cold but my Dodge can come to life with no glow plugs (just barely). Any thoughts?

I just checked to see if my lift pump is working. I cracked open the valve on the fuel filter and I am getting fuel pumping out when I crank her over. Need to check voltage at my glow plug relay next.

Checked the glow plug relay. I have 24 volts going to the TOP large post Heavy Gauge red wire. I have 12 volts going to the smaller upper terminal/post BLUE wire. I have 12 volts going to the lower small terminal/post pinkish wire with black stripe. Nothing going to the lower Larger terminal with the dual large gauge faded orange wires with a small gauge orangish wire.

I Have power going to the IP and can hear it open/close? when I disconnect the power to it.

The engine spins pretty fast while cranking.

Any ideas?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not make duplicate posts/threads.

Continue this thread for this truck please.

Merged only to find you posted it here too.

Do you have a GP controller card?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks