• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m59 dump truck...

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
You really need to get the m108. I hope one day to find a nice dump
An m108 has been on my "gotta have it" list for a while now. I'm sure there are plenty out there that would be a much easier restoration than this one.
Any idea what year M108 that is?
It's a 1953 Studebaker.
It's got a good frame so technically it's savable. The downside is it needs all new sheet metal, a cab/doors/all glass/top, rear axle shafts, a radiator, 11 tires, new wiring, seats and tons more for sure. The transmission and winch PTO are gone, the transfercase PTO and crane driveshaft are gone, all the outriggers are gone, it's missing the crane cable/end pulley, all the hoses are junk of course. The cab mounted floodlights were on it when it was here in the yard in the 90s but they've gone missing sometime in the last 20 or so years. I'd guess that the boom hasn't moved since at least 1991 because it's also shown in the same TV program as my dump truck and it looks like it's still swung to the driver's side back then.
Sounds like a great project truck.:shock:

Redpawn

:shock::shock: Guess mine isn't in as bad a shape as I thought. Do you know if they would sell it as is? I might need a boom for mine.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'm going to try to get it home to VT at some point soon for a future project. Maybe there's one out there with a good boom and a few outriggers, that could help us both out :).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So to recap on the 215-59 bed differences, the beds themselves are the same correct? The tailgates are also the same. The bed protectors are the only thing different (with the 215 being taller). Am I correct? Why would they cut the rivets on the front? wouldn't it be a lot easier to just remove the 2 bolts? Last question, did you ever try to just remove just the bed without the subframe?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
So to recap on the 215-59 bed differences, the beds themselves are the same correct? The tailgates are also the same. The bed protectors are the only thing different (with the 215 being taller). Am I correct? Why would they cut the rivets on the front? wouldn't it be a lot easier to just remove the 2 bolts? Last question, did you ever try to just remove just the bed without the subframe?
I didn't notice any differences between the subframes, beds, or tailgates (except the style of tarp hooks which is probably unrelated). The cab protector is a little bit taller on the m215 than on the m59 I've measured. If you're talking about the rivets on the front subframe mounts then those were cut because the previous owner was swapping the bed over to an m35 chassis so he needed the frame side brackets.
On the m215 I did remove the bed from the subframe first. It was fairly straight forward since I had equipment to support it while unpinning the piston.

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beds are the same I have a sub frame for sale I was keeping as a spare for my truck. The Bed comes off easy from the sun frame.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you remove the bed and subframe together do you have to break into the hydraulics or does it also come out with the subframe as an assembly?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If you remove the bed and subframe together do you have to break into the hydraulics or does it also come out with the subframe as an assembly?
No hydraulic work needed, just have to remove the driveshaft between the PTO and hydraulic pump and the two control rods. The pump hangs down a bit so you’ll have to lift the bed higher to clear the truck frame.

Reactions: HDN

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Mackafd That subframe assembly looks as if it weighed half the payload of a Deuce already! So this is complete with pump, just needs the PTO part set up and a tank? Out of interest, is it difficult to adapt a suitable dump bed to it?

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Mackafd That subframe assembly looks as if it weighed half the payload of a Deuce already! So this is complete with pump, just needs the PTO part set up and a tank? Out of interest, is it difficult to adapt a suitable dump bed to it?
No should be very easy to adapt to any bed since it’s a flat frame just bolt a bed to it some welding of a plate or two. I am selling the frame I have for $400 includes pump cyl and subframe. Eastern PA

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No should be very easy to adapt to any bed since it’s a flat frame just bolt a bed to it some welding of a plate or two. I am selling the frame I have for $400 includes pump cyl and subframe. Eastern PA
Looks like a fantastic way to build a dump truck; no futzing around with cutting frame and welding on hinges etc. Thanks for the details!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks