• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 questions Electrical/Paint ????

kg5252

Hi , guys. I have a few questions concerning my 77 Dodge M880. Underneath the grill there is a unit that says "DC Electronics". It appears that it ties into the blackout light system. My blackout lights do not work as that was how I bought the truck. I am wanting to know what this unit is and if it goes with the blackout system. I was also wondering if the wires that run to the blackout lights are seperate from the main wiring unit, as I would like to remove them to clean up the engine bay. I would also eventually like to repaint the body of the truck to a 3 color camoflague pattern. I could use some advice on how to go about masking off the body for the pattern and how to paint it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the blackout drive lamp. The wires that run to the BO lighting system are easy to spot, they are the black rubber covered wires. The M880s were from the 4 color MERDC camouflage era, and there are patterns for that. I THINK that when the 880s got the 3 color NATO scheme, the pattern from the Chevy CUCV was used. I may be wrong about this.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More than likely, it was a 4 color MERDEC. there's a chance it would have received 3 color NATO, but only if it stayed in service for a while after the CUCVs were fielded.

Recommend you start with your green as your base coat and then outline for the other colors. You can search here for the MERDEC patterns, or make one yourself. As for paining, don't tape off. Actual CARC 3 Color NATO Woodland is sprayed without a stencil or taped lines. the "fuzzy" edges contribute to it's camouflage properties. A sharp line would attract the eye, making it more visible.

nattieleather

When ever I have painted either of the cammo patterns both the 4 color and the 3 color I've just eyeballed the pattern and sprayed. Yes start with the base color green and then add the browns and blacks etc on top.

kg5252

Thanks for the responses guys. My dad and I can not figure out if the blackout system is seperate from the rest of the electrical system. It appears that it ties into the wire that leads to the headlights. Is it safe to remove the blackout system and place caps on the end of the wire coming out of headlight wire, so it is not hot? I'm 15 and I don't know much about electrical stuff.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the responses guys. My dad and I can not figure out if the blackout system is seperate from the rest of the electrical system. It appears that it ties into the wire that leads to the headlights. Is it safe to remove the blackout system and place caps on the end of the wire coming out of headlight wire, so it is not hot? I'm 15 and I don't know much about electrical stuff.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
There are diagrams in the TM's (pdf's in the TM section)

The blackout system is an add on to the stock Dodge wiring.
It connects in to the stock lighting system so as to disable the stock exterior lighting during blackout operations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks