• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 from Salmon, Idaho

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been doing a lot of reading on Steel Soldiers and the TM's. Joined Steel Soldiers in May of 2015 when I got my Deuce. Decided I had better start my thread. She is not to bad physically, but a mess mechanically. Engine is partly tore down, the head was redone and put back on, the valve train is laying on engine and valve cover laying over it, not bolted down. All hoses and lines full of mud dobbers. Master cylinder is removed along with airpack. And again all lines full of mud dobbers. All wheel cylinders leaking and ujoints are bad. Fuel pump is bad and tank needs flushed. Will put the engine back together and see what I have. If it needs to come out so be it.

The wealth of knowledge on this website is worth its weight in gold. Won't be working on the truck this winter, will be inside working on parts this winter. My shop is large enough but need to put my daily drivers in this winter. At 73 I am a little slow but I will get r dun. Thanks in advance.:mrgreen:

dmetalmiki

Wow, that is some list of 'defects', but you seem to have determination and a plan of action. So do post up your restoration of the truck, and of course with pictures of the progress.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. The reason I haven't made any progress on the deuce is prior commitments on other projects like my wife's kitchen cabinets, and a friends model A restoration. Was going to start this summer but had knee surgery and my back went out. I am looking forward to getting started. It is going to be labor of love.

Merle

SturmTyger380

I hate mud dobbers. Some of them fill in every hole they can find in just a matter of hours. Then there are the ones that build a row of mud nests. Argh!!

Yeah my to do list is quite large being out in the country. At least with the drought there is not much grass cutting going on. Now that its cooling off again I need to work on firing up the M211 again and test the transmission. :)

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100_3073[1].jpg100_3074[1].jpg100_3072[1].jpg100_3071[1].jpg

Took a couple pictures, what a sweet truck. Has civilian carburetor and distributor will replace those with original. A few wiring problems couple cut wires and a couple connectors missing. Will have to replace a few douglas connectors. No telling what else I will find. Took the air cleaner apart to remove mud dobber nest and the air cleaner looks like it was made yesterday, all bright and shinny.

1944mb

Merle, nice looking beast. Wish I'd have known you were that close, we drove through Georgetown lake here about a month ago. We'll have to get together sometime. Nice to see another truck in the Northwest. So what parts are you looking for? -carb military dist, anything else? Might have a lead on some parts in South Dakota

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks hambone and get that truck done. My son lives close to Texarkana maybe we can have an eyeball someday when I get down there.

1944mb will get up your way next summer and talk truck. I have a distributor and a carburetor, but I do need the single pin connector that fits the distributor. Will be redoing the troop seats and bows. Will form my bows with steam, that will be a hoot. So if you need some bows give me a shout.

Merle

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1944mb
Got to thinking if I am going to all that trouble to make 5 bows, a bunch more won't be a problem. Two or three days I can have my steam chamber done and form made. That will be a good winter project when the snow is on the ground and 10 degrees out. Have my steam chamber tacked together, just need to finish welding it.

Merle

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Early Deuce forum and thanks for sharing that beautiful truck. Anyone 73 and posting pics on a forum has my respect. Hopefully you get the pleasure of driving that truck and upload some more pictures of her in that sassy Salmon countryside. Drove through years ago and I'll never forget it.

Can someone tell me what SARC on the bumper stands for? I'd love to guess that it's Search and Rescue something something something but it's just a waste of keystrokes.

SARC.jpg

I'm also curious what year and serial number your truck came out with. Is it stamped 1135XXXX on the passenger side frame behind the front wheel?. Found several 135's up here and they're not near the condition that yours is. Kinda hoping it's one of the later models so we can get a better idea how many 135's were made.

You mentioned electrical challenges and I'm not sure where I got this link from but it seems like a good source with a reasonable price to gather up some parts.
https://powderriverordnance.com/shop/gmc-m211-m135/m135-m211-rear-chassis-wiring-harness/

If you peel through the classifieds you'll find Alpha Heaven and a few other sources that will help you complete your shopping list. Again, welcome aboard and if you hear cheering, it's just us yelling encouragement to help you get that deuce on the road.

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m1010plowboy
Stamped in the wheel well is 135 9412 and was built in 1952. The truck went through the Pueblo depot in 1958. Has about 11000 miles on it. Don't know what SARC means, I believe 6A means 6th Army but may be wrong. The truck has very little rust, there is a couple spots that need some attention but physically in very nice shape. Thanks for the information and your nice comments.

Merle

USMC 00-08

I have 2 trucks that when through the Pueblo Depot and the hood registration numbers are stamped into the top right side of the bumper. Does yours have that also?

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USMC

Went out and looked, didn't find any numbers stamped on the bumper, but did notice on the right side of the hood there was a different hood number that is barely visible. Don't know what took place there. I think this truck was painted between 15 and 20 years ago and how ever owned it could have put what ever they wanted on it, including the 6A SARC. Who knows. When I go to redoing the hood will take some pains and try and pull out the number. Hood could of come off of another truck.

Merle

Section8

No worries, but Google deserves the credit.
Welcome to the site! You have a very nice looking rig!
There are lots of great people here to help you along the way with advice or if someone is close enough a hand should you need one.
The knowledge base of the members here is priceless.
73 years old and going strong! You have my utmost respect Sir!
Keep us posted

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks