• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 from Salmon, Idaho

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you kids get a chance to Check out what SARC is all about? Thanks to Section8 for doing that initial search, that truck likely served for some very special people that performed front-line duties above and below the water. Instead of me trying to explain it, here are a couple of Snippets and a few links,

http://specialwarrior.com/elite/navy-recon-corpsmen/
""""""Navy Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsmen are US Navy Hospital Corpsmen that provide SOCOM units with trauma management relating to diving and parachute missions. Also known as Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsmen, or SARCs, they usually work directly with Marine Corps Reconnaissance companies. SARCs provide medical treatment during special reconnaissance missions, and they are also used to augment medical assets throughout the different SOCOM organizations. They have been imbedded within SEAL teams, EOD units, and MARSOC units.""""""

""""""All SARCs have specialized training in the field. Not only are they trained in advance treatment of trauma, but they are also trained for amphibious entry, deep reconnaissance, and direct action"""""""""

https://sofrep.com/1368/special-amphibious-reconnaissance-corpsman/

""""""If you know anything about the Marine Corps, you know that they have no medical services. The Marines draw from the Navy for their medics (or Docs), and Recon has its own breed of Docs – The Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman.""""""

gentrysgarage

I pass my Coolest Stationed Cap to you Merle! (mine was Mira Loma Salvage/Repair facility with part of the cab that came from the same place and served the locomotive pitline)

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100_3072[1].jpg Found a list of US Army acronym's --------- SARC ----- Surveillance and Reconnaissance Center
Another possibility.

Merle

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled head off engine yesterday, noticed blocked oil port where oil is fed to rocker assembly. Insect built nest. cleaned out what I could. Any suggestions. Used vacuum to suck out the oil port. Head was put on after it was redone by previous owner and job was abandoned. All was exposed to the elements.

Can't find where oil is fed to the Head from the block.

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100_3121[1].jpg100_3122[1].jpg100_3125[1].jpg

Picture of head and bug nest dug out of oil port.

The engine is 302 straight six out of my M135.

Port is still blocked, cannot get air through it.

Last edited:

CMPPhil

Hi Merle

Great restoration series, if I hadn't gotten side tracked in to CMPs I'd probably have a M135 I loved driving those trucks.

Now to your problem of a half finished engine left open to the elements, been there done that, in the end I took the whole engine out and had boiled out at engine shop, but only after it scored all the crank bearings. If you let that mud dubbed mud get pushed through the engine it is very likely to take out the bearings. Having the engine boiled out may actually save a lot of parts. The straight 6 GM engines are about as straight forward and simple as they get.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got an old speedometer cable cut off about 12 inches and chucked it in my cordless drill and roto rooterd the nest out. Will flush out the head good before installing it in engine. Will pull pan and see if I have anything in lower end. Depending on what I find I may pull engine and have it boiled out. Will haver to pull one valve out of head and clean mud dobber nest out.

CMPPhil

Hi Merle

Sounds like a plan, keep the engine openings buttoned up, plugged while your working. I've had criteria store acorns and Decon pellets under the exhaust valves on engines I was working on that were mounted on the engine test stand. Now I tape up any opening or stretch used rubber mechanics gloves overy the openings. Great for radiator hoses. The critters don't seem to like the rubber gloves. The gloves do tend to pop if you forget to remove them from the exhaust pipe.

The mud dobbers seem to like the over flow pipes on my trucks, one nest was a good enough seal that radiator hose blew off from the pressure.

Cheers Phil

1944mb

Gotta love that kind of stuff. Whether you tear it down or not, I would highly recommend you prime the engine oiling system before starting her up. To do this youll need to check the rotation of the rotor when engine would be running(find out which way the engine turns over when running, turn engine by hand and watch distributor rotor). Pull the distributor and see at the bottom of the shaft what "key" there is(ie either a hex drive or a slot like a screwdriver), get a shaft long enough to reach the pump and come outside the engine and attach to a drill. Have the engine oiling system intact and full of oil and run the drill the correct rotation. Watch all the rockers and make sure they are getting oil. Some engines have a main oil gallery hole at the distributor that is sealed when the distributor is in and allows the oil to the rest of the engine, so a commercially made priming shaft may be required. By priming this engine it will allow you to make sure each of the rockers are getting oil. I will prime the new to me 302, just to make sure the oiling system is functioning correctly. If you aren't done with this at that point I can make a little video of it to help simplify the jibber jabber I just wrote.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will prime the oil system. Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought of that. Will get the head put back on in the next couple of days, would like to do it today, a cold front has moved in, a little chilly and looks like thunder storms. Will stay in shop and clean parts. Thanks to the TM's getting all the parts and pieces located. You get worried when some one else tears something apart if all the parts are there. So far everything ok.

Put my pintle hitch on yesterday, missing what I believe to be a large washer about a half inch thick on the outside of the hitch. Have a complete parts manual for g749 will look up the stock number.

I am getting excited, sure would like to hear it run.

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut rails and stiles for the kitchen cabinets today until I ran out of wood, switched gears and mowed the lawn, when I got that done raised the hood on the deuce and sat there and looked at it, couldn't get enough energy to lug that heavy head and try to put it on so I oiled the hood hinges and closed her up. Went in the shop and cleaned parts and took inventory of nuts and bolts. Will attempt to put head on tomorrow.

My goal is to repair the truck and not do a restoration. At my age I probably wouldn't live long enough to do a restoration and besides the budget is not there. Want to get the engine running this summer so I can pull the truck in the shop this next winter, and continue working on it.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the head put on today, made a wood handle to help lift that heavy bugger. Was putting the rockers on and noticed I had to much travel on the exhaust rockers. Got the ole trusty TM out and I am missing the exhaust valve rotating caps 7520259. So Put that on hold and decided to put the manifolds on, found I was missing one of three intake manifold pilot 7411626. So put that on hold and decided to clean the battery shelves. :lol:

100_3126[1].jpg

Will order my parts next week.:tank:

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I told the boys those heads were heavy and they laughed at me. I'm going to make up a handle board like yours unless you can get a patent on that one real quick.

Doing a rolling restoration, once you get that motor running, gets a guy in the driver's seat a bit quicker so I really wish you luck with the engine. Even if you don't get anything else done, preserving and rolling that engine is one more bite out of the big elephant so all the best on it Merle. Let us know about the part hunt too please. Always good to hear about new sources and successful hunts.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM showed what looked to be huge wing nuts for lifting the head. Decided a piece of wood would do the trick. It made life much easier trying to position the head on the gasket. That head is heavy. Will keep you posted on the parts.

CMPPhil

Hi Merle

You probably figured on doing something like this when reinstalling the head, but I thought mention it, I used several long bolts with heads cut off and slots in the end as guides.

web April 10 HUP photos 028.jpg *i
web April 11 HUP photos 007.jpg

You probably can see the similarity between your engine and mine as the both share a common ancestry.

Cheers Phil

PS The red tipped blades are to remind me not to get my fingers in the area particularly when running the engine in on test stand.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the bolts in the block made it way to easy to align the head. If you can't do it the hard way no sense in doing it at all. The red blades, that is why in aviation we always painted our prop blades.

Well got some done on the engine, fabricated an intake manifold pilot from a stainless band clamp. Installed exhaust and intake manifold. Worked great. got the throttle linkage installed, as usual had to undue some linkage that had been modified when a civilian carburetor was used. Installed exhaust pipe.
100_3127[1].jpg Fabricated pilot
100_3128[1].jpg original pilot

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked on getting compressor mounted today, cleaned lines, hooked up, need to replace a couple lines. Get a little done each day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks