• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 from Salmon, Idaho

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent all day working on the Deuce, and didn't accomplish anything. Broken parts or missing parts. Did get the pressure line on the compressor in and hooked up. One step forward and three back.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent all day working on the Deuce, and didn't accomplish anything. Broken parts or missing parts. Did get the pressure line on the compressor in and hooked up. One step forward and three back.
That is the ultimate proof you're working on an Early Deuce! Just when you think you're ready for a road trip the starter, carb, fuel pump, water pump, points, wheel seals, brake cylinders and a few other things will go bad all at the same time.

The Stovebolt guys still talk about the 302 so finding the parts you need could come from some of the hot rod team. Alpha Heaven is certainly on both MV and rod teams so http://www.alfaheaven.com/
..........don't let all the party advertising give you the impression that these folks don't party. The guys that built Goat, the M135 made the trip all the way over to see Tom at Alpha and they still talk about it. They also picked up parts.

What else do you need for parts? I'm still sniffing a trip to the border with a load in July so can you say...road trip?

USMC 00-08

What else do you need for parts? I'm still sniffing a trip to the border with a load in July so can you say...road trip?
Are you guys planning on meeting up in Montana? If so, let me know anything you might need and I will see what I have and try to squeeze it in the Expedition.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you guys planning on meeting up in Montana? If so, let me know anything you might need and I will see what I have and try to squeeze it in the Expedition.
Its all up to 1944mb and m1010plowboy and their schedule, I am retired and can meet anytime. Would love to meet you guys in Big Timber or wherever.

Down the road would like to get a passport and make a trip to Edmonton.

Last edited:

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been getting a little more done on the engine. She's going together slowly. Got in the exhaust rotating caps. 100_3129[1].jpg100_3130[1].jpg100_3131[1].jpg The caps are 11/32 they will work great. You can see on the card where I got them from and their part number. These need to be added to the parts list. The military part number is 7520259. When I get caps installed on the exhaust valves I will adjust valves. Getting close to running engine, I think, bar no setbacks. Need to get some fittings to make a couple hoses and a couple lines in the engine compartment.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you find those caps? Good work! I could have brought some used ones down but real glad you found a source. Can we check for tolerances on these to see if the used ones I have are any good? Guess I need to check a manual for a spec.

buggyman

Welcome Merle, when you get it running and need to go for a road trip I'm over in Annex "Ontario OR" come on down and we can go for a ride :) Happy Trails, Paul

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you find those caps? Good work! I could have brought some used ones down but real glad you found a source. Can we check for tolerances on these to see if the used ones I have are any good? Guess I need to check a manual for a spec.
I had to buy a package of 16, have extra one's. I can send you one in mail and you can compare. These fit great on the exhaust valve stems. Let me know.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got back to work on the Deuce. Made up the governor lines going from the distributor to the carburetor. There are two lines, if I tried to run them separately I would of ended up looking like crap. So I decided to conjure up something that resembled the head on the 302. Don't laugh, I know this looks a little hokie but it worked and it worked very well. I took an 8x8 mounted a civilian 302 manifold on it with lag screws, then wired on the Holley carburetor. All the dimensions came out pretty close. Cut out some 2x4 blocks with the band saw as a form for the lines. Started from the carburetor put fittings on the copper tubing and routed both lines in and out the forms, installed clamps to hold lines. Really worked great.

View attachment 689663View attachment 689664View attachment 689665View attachment 689666View attachment 689667View attachment 689668

After I installed the two lines and some standoffs to hold them secure I proceeded to install the radiator and the grill. All went well, used my engine hoist to lift radiator and grill in place. I am getting excited, this is the first time I have seen the Deuce with the engine complete and the radiator and grill installed.

100_3140[1].jpg100_3141[1].jpg100_3142[1].jpg100_3143[1].jpg100_3144[1].jpg100_3145[1].jpg

Cut a piece of 1/8th inch ply to protect the radiator from the fan when installing the radiator.

Getting close to running the engine. Need plugs, rotor, points, condenser, clean fuel tank out etc.

Last edited:

1944mb

Merle, looking at your pictures, I'm curious...you must be a man of comfort....is that a sunshade umbrella base sitting on the bumper to hold up an umbrella like would be used on a picnic table? If so good thinking the sun has been a little intense lately.

Putting something in front of the radiator...when I worked as a mechanic I always saw the other mechanics do that, but all the stuff prior I never had any trouble poking a hole into a radiator... until I did. Was neat to see you do that, as I don't know many people who do other than the mechanics I used to work with. Putting a hole in one radiator and it doesn't seem like such a silly idea.

A lifting strap on the radiator and grille definitely a must, they are beasts. Exciting to see you moving right along. Be fun to see it run. I think I'm gonna head to case ih today and get some hy-trans for the tranny.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merle, looking at your pictures, I'm curious...you must be a man of comfort....is that a sunshade umbrella base sitting on the bumper to hold up an umbrella like would be used on a picnic table? If so good thinking the sun has been a little intense lately.

Putting something in front of the radiator...when I worked as a mechanic I always saw the other mechanics do that, but all the stuff prior I never had any trouble poking a hole into a radiator... until I did. Was neat to see you do that, as I don't know many people who do other than the mechanics I used to work with. Putting a hole in one radiator and it doesn't seem like such a silly idea.

A lifting strap on the radiator and grille definitely a must, they are beasts. Exciting to see you moving right along. Be fun to see it run. I think I'm gonna head to case ih today and get some hy-trans for the tranny.
Ben

You are right, have to put up some shade as that sun has been brutal. The base fits perfectly on the bumper with a bungee as a little security and the umbrella fits right over the hood, so works great. Would have made me sick to have poked a hole in the radiator. so a little insurance helped. Talked to a neighbor today, he has a friend that was given a 5 ton yesterday and he is going to bring it by today so I can look at it. I could be so lucky.

Was going out to put the umbrella up to change the clamps out on the wiring harness on the grill a few minutes ago, and my wife told me there was a reply on SS about and umbrella. Thanks for the reply.

Merle

USMC 00-08

Here are pictures of the rubber piece under the hood we spoke about on the phone the other day. I need to figure out how to make some new ones since mine are rough.

20170715_200809.jpg20170715_200848.jpg

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are pictures of the rubber piece under the hood we spoke about on the phone the other day. I need to figure out how to make some new ones since mine are rough.

View attachment 689962View attachment 689963

Will have to get my thinking cap on.

Looking at your pictures then mine it looks as though the clips on my headlight guards are upside down. A picture is better than a thousand words.

Thanks Paul.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks