• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV LMTV Tire balancing?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I cannot say anything about the how and what type of balancing material works with CTIS but I will say that on my M920 with 1600 tires on HEMMIT rims it did the trick very well. I put 48 ounces of EQUAL tire balancing beads into each tire through the valve stem and the truck was very good going down the road, I even got to experience 16th gear! Prior to this treatment the top speed was about 30 miles per hour, anything over that and it felt like you were bouncing the front end of the truck off the road!
Karl

sargentwolf

Per the company i called (counteract) their beads are too big to get stuck. He said they have installed them before in trucks with CTIS and it works great, if installed correctly. Dont just chuck the bag into the tire and rebuild, but pour the beads into the tire THEN rebuild.

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an update on my experiment. So far the front 2 tires are done. At times there can be a little vibration either speeding up or hitting a bump gets things smooth again. So far so good, no ctis issues. Much better than before without the beads.

CRayGill

So now that it's almost 2.5 years since the last post on this thread, any fresh update? Please!
I'm about to pull the trigger on this myself, so too much information is almost enough. ;)

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now that it's almost 2.5 years since the last post on this thread, any fresh update? Please!
I'm about to pull the trigger on this myself, so too much information is almost enough. ;)
Still driving with them, only have around 1500 mile on them though. no issues, seems to work great

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an update, Mr. Filner has a video episode on YouTube where he used 40oz of antifreeze in each wheel to achieve positive results.

He's pretty resourceful and this may be something to consider.

Pointman

CRayGill

My only concern with that would be blowing the AF out when the CTIS deflates the tires...
I'm new to this stuff, so I may be way off base here! ��
Another member and I may be tag teaming our trucks soon, so if we do, I'll report what happens for us.
I' (think) that I'll be using 24oz of beads in each tire on mine. I'm not sure what he's got planned.
We can report back once we're done ����

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You do not need beads or antifreeze anything for that matter. If you have a shake then you have a bent wheel, tire separation, or a flat spotted tire. Basically beads on tires of this size arent worth it. I have logged more miles on 14.00s, 395s, and 1600 tires than any member here. I have only ever had to balance one wheel and it took about 8 oz. Of weight from a wheel being bent at one time and they didnt repair it right at Ft Lewis McChord

If you feel a slight shake you can add a counter weight opposite where the ctis valve bolts to the wheel that equals its weight or slightly under just as the 939A2 trucks did

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can use standard automotive wheel weights. The rim lip is no different. You would need 2oz to 5oz weights

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks