• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV LMTV Tire balancing?

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone used any of the balancing media inside their tires that can report on effectiveness?

I currently have a rim a rim split and a tire ready to go on. Also re installing the Beadlocks as well. It's not the runflat type beadlocks, rather the metal hoop with rubber edges.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the same until I took the wheel apart. To me it seems like the rim lock creates a barrier that would prevent larger media access to the fill port. Knowing that I wonder how large the dynabead large is. The ones too big to go in the shrader valve. I know airsoft pellets would be blocked.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The set of wheels that came with my truck had concrete hard caked on mud on the inner surface that I couldnt see till I took them off. The newer clean set drives smooth at 55 but shimmys a little at 57 but I think its more the truck than the wheels. First thing to to is put front wheels straight on flat ground and measure the alignment front of tires and back of tires should be the same. If one is slightly out it will cause alot of shimmy.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The set of wheels that came with my truck had concrete hard caked on mud on the inner surface that I couldnt see till I took them off. The newer clean set drives smooth at 55 but shimmys a little at 57 but I think its more the truck than the wheels. First thing to to is put front wheels straight on flat ground and measure the alignment front of tires and back of tires should be the same. If one is slightly out it will cause alot of shimmy.
Are you referring to the toe in? My truck had over an inch so I readjusted it to about 1/4" of toe in. Hopefully won't wear the tires as badly. You want just a little toe in.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I got the local mil guys to show me how they do it. Tape measure and as even as you can get it by measuring across the front of the front tires and the back of the front tires. I would think any toe in would cause excessive tire wear especially on road.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the local mil guys to show me how they do it. Tape measure and as even as you can get it by measuring across the front of the front tires and the back of the front tires. I would think any toe in would cause excessive tire wear especially on road.
Excessive toe in can certainly cause wear and instability. I thought most solid axle vehicles used a small amount of toe in, but maybe these could be different since they are all wheel drive. Mine came from the auction with over an inch of toe in which is no good. I use a piece of masking tape on the front of each tire, make a vertical line on the tape, use a tape measure to measure then roll the vehicle backwards until the tape is 180 degrees to the rear. This way you are using the same points to measure from and get accurate measurements. You can get very accurate by doing it this way.

I’m also curious how well balancing beads work on these trucks.

For a number of reasons, we are considering disconnecting and capping-off our CTIS and just using Schrader valves, so I’m not necessarily concerned about contaminating the CTIS.

Other than the CTIS topic, is anyone happily using balancing beads on their LMTV?

Michael

tburk49760

My truck gets to about 63 before I get the shakes. Stops at about 67. I just stay out of that range as much as possible. I've heard that the steel wheels are part of the problem as well. I plan on taking mine to the local big truck shop sometime to see if they can balance the tires...

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I will be the explorer. Just ordered 3000 .38g non biodegradable airsoft pellets. Only have one tire apart, will do them all as I switch the rubber around over the next few weeks.

coachgeo

Searching for other info on beads and CTIS in other vehicles from Hummers to Mogs..... and the consensus seems to show..... BAD NEWS. You can now get tire valves with screens to keep beads out (even over at Amazonian web site) but not sure how they would help unless you dissected them and put them in system somewhere?

Centramatic like system would seem to be best with CTIS. Might have to cut out center and weld in the right bolt pattern?

http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balancer.rhtml?modelNumber=300-318

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The airsoft pellets shouldn't break down, the beadlock shouldn't let any pellets past. Shouldn't be any ctis contamination. Guys on pirate have run them for years without them breaking down. So I will roll the dice, worse case flat tires and a clean out of the ctis system.

coachgeo

The airsoft pellets shouldn't break down, the beadlock shouldn't let any pellets past. Shouldn't be any ctis contamination. Guys on pirate have run them for years without them breaking down. So I will roll the dice, worse case flat tires and a clean out of the ctis system.
Look forward to see how it works. Read some pirate threads too and like you say they hand no problems with beadlocked tires........ but none of them had CITS either.

Wonder if you could glue a piece of screen in there with enough bubble in the material for the bulge of the valve that protrudes into the rim to sit normally? sounds to simple though. Sure others would have tried that already.

coachgeo

Took some photos. The pellet will not go through the valve stem, nor fit through the gap in the beadlock. View attachment 648880
Looks great. RE: Your picture that shows a bead would fit inside what "I think" is the part installed on the rim judging by below drawing or is there another part that screws into that first? If it as in the drawing could that potentially block air on deflation if one got in there? if so might consider brazing a screen over that opening to prevent that.

self-inflating-tire-11.gif

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's done. Added some airsoft pellets and assembled the wheel. Time will tell. If you look at the photos. There is no way for the pellets to get to the ctis system. The gap in the rim lock is too small. IMG_0723.jpgIMG_0724.jpgIMG_0725.jpgIMG_0727.jpg

coachgeo

Well it's done. Added some airsoft pellets and assembled the wheel. Time will tell. ...
How did you determine the amount of weight in pellets to use per tire? FWIW- Read somewhere that keeping in place the normal balance weights on the rim is best and beads added assist in the whole balance scheme.

Look forward to hearing from you on how this all works out.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our rims were never balanced to begin with. As for weight the Dynabead website listed 24 grams for our size tires. I gave it a little extra. Also I made sure to offset the valve stem weight with the mounting bolts of the rim lock.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't hit the road yet. In the process of pulling the heater unit and replacing with the heater/air conditioner. So I have some work to do first. also with only 1 of the 4 tires done. It will be hard to tell. I should have all the tires done by 2017 if all goes as planed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks