• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I tow a M989a1 with a civi pick up?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I won an M989A1 $830 to take off the base. looking for a help to get it off and store until i can line up transportation.

Should I make a trip could an F-250 tow this rig, tow capacity is 12500 trailer is 11000. all I would need is to back of the brakes correct?
You can tow it with an F250. It will push you however. You also wont be able to use the air system to get it up since it has air bags. Depends on your tounge height as well. You need atleast a 31" tounge height on your pintle. This thing has no tounge weight so it can act retarded at highway speeds especially on the interstate where it wants to bounce in and out of the truck tire grooves.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won an M989A1 $830 to take off the base. looking for a help to get it off and store until i can line up transportation.

Should I make a trip could an F-250 tow this rig, tow capacity is 12500 trailer is 11000. all I would need is to back of the brakes correct?
Nope, a deuce isn't really even up to the task. Get a 5 ton to move it or else it will push your F-250 through an intersection. You can cage the rear brakes like any civilian system.

HASSON1911

Nope, a deuce isn't really even up to the task. Get a 5 ton to move it or else it will push your F-250 through an intersection. You can cage the rear brakes like any civilian system.
Haha well it's literally all interstate so, no intersections, however I will more than likely ship it. Unless I can find a semi to borrow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Haha well it's literally all interstate so, no intersections, however I will more than likely ship it. Unless I can find a semi to borrow.

Or just a gooseneck trailer to winch it up on. Most of the small guys on Uship move them that way.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A pickup truck will pull it, no problem.

A pickup truck will not stop it, noway, nohow. I just had to know, so I hooked mine to my 1ton dually. Even at low speeds it'll push you all over the place. The problem is twofold- there's no tongue weight, and the trailer is unbraked. This makes your traction and your braking needs mismatch. You've got forward momentum of 20k, and traction of 8k or so.

I've towed them with deuces, no problem. I've towed them with 5ton of course. I wouldn't tow one with a pickup truck unless it was on a gooseneck with brakes.....

Last edited:

HASSON1911

Going to hire a company can't get time off from work, but looking forward to pulling it with the hemtt next year for the parade.

86m1028

I moved mine off base to a temp storage area (about 12 miles) with a 3/4 ton diesel Gmc.
Truck moved it fine, stopping wasn't too bad, WOULD NOT atempt highway speeds with it PERIOD !!

Ever heard the term "tail wagging the dog" ?

Get on a grooved (troughs) or crowned road & your SOL !

As mentioned earlier
Trailer weighs more than truck
Trailer has NO tongue weight
Trailer has NO brakes

Speaking from experience, don't risk it !

J kerr

i picked one up and pulled it back to fl.. i pulled it with my 650.. i didn't have no problem pulling it or stoping... it was a mission dealing with the snake effect.. it was swerving the whole way back.. I'm thinking about putting some shocks/actuators on each side of the tongue to reduce the swerving..

Jericho

Fuzzy and the guys have the answer, moved one a short distance with my F 250, now ive hauled some heavy @^%# with it, ( my truck) 400 bails of wet hay at an average of 50 to 70 lbs per bail on a trailer, Don't tow it with and F 250 please, one little trip was enough for me, and it really does bounce all over the place from ruts in the road as speed increases, scary !

HASSON1911

Fuzzy and the guys have the answer, moved one a short distance with my F 250, now ive hauled some heavy @^%# with it, ( my truck) 400 bails of wet hay at an average of 50 to 70 lbs per bail on a trailer, Don't tow it with and F 250 please, one little trip was enough for me, and it really does bounce all over the place from ruts in the road as speed increases, scary !
I'm not towing with an pickup after the suggestion, now I'm looking for a hot shot or ltl to haul it.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one from there also. Sand color and all LED lights.
Zero damage and very little paint flaking.
All goodies included.
A good power wash made a world of difference.

Used a 5 ton for recovery.
The trailer is heavy!! 5 ton had no issues. Hills killed speed though.
A lot of hills in that part of the country
Glad to hear your shipping it.

That trailer had sold once before. Guess the first buyer backed out or ??

Governor Bob

Hey all,
I have a similar issue.
IMG_5434.jpg
Bought a M9889a1 in GREAT condition on Craigslist. Paid a tow semi to get it home. Now I'd like to move it across the yard and am having trouble. I know nothing 'bout air-brakes other than internet reading....

I didn't want to mess with caging the brakes, so I jury-rigged an air compressor splitter to pressurize Service & Emergency air lines from a regular garage air compressor. Got everything up to 120psi on the compressor, but couldn't budge it with a Durango. I gotta be missing something, eh? Durango should tow it empty on pavement. I dont' need to cage the air brakes when both systems are pressurized, correct?

Last edited:

NV555

As I currently own 5 of these super trailers it seems after sitting for awhile the brakes get rusty and won’t release. I had to drag several around on dirt to get the brakes free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks