• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on rusted deuce stake pockets

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for advice on how to handle this situation. I have rust coming from the area where the stake pockets are. Between where the stake pockets are welded to bed. Thought about cutting off stake pockets, repairing rust, then having new pockets fabricated. Then possible riveting them on and no welding. Anybody have some good advice? Is it time to just find another bed? ThanksIMG_3106.jpgIMG_3107.jpgIMG_3108.jpgIMG_3109.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sandblast thoroughly. Then ospho. Then paint.

Depending on what value you place on your time, bed replacement may be the cheaper option. I've got a 12' M1078 bed with dropsides that should bolt on to your deuce easily. $1500 delivered.

Personally though, I'd just fix yours. I'll send you some pics of one I just finished. No reason you can't get similar results. ..

drivebymashing

If it was me (which it isnt) I would take him up on his bed assuming its mostly rustfree. My time is 1000 an hour. 1.5 hours is 1500. I can buy money I cant buy time. Just my opinion.

just me

I thought I has overpriced at $75/hr! Wish I could charge that here! Fixing or doing all the work to put a different bed on would be about the same time for me. I'd fix it.

DeucesWild11

I was wondering about your hourly rate as well. I thought $50/hr handyman in NY was good for me but...

Back to the original post, I would blast as best as possible then Por 15 and then paint... if it comes back again.. repeat.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go for another bed but make sure you have drainage at the bottom of the stake pockets.

dmetalmiki

Sand blast or abraze the joints, and when they are clean, weld a seam down (or up). Job done. As mentioned drain hole at the bottoms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks