• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Videos & Photos of rebuilding transmission

stephenfeldmeier

Sometime in the next few months, I’ll be rebuilding another M211 transmission. This transmission had the 1st and 2nd gear planetary carrier slip ring blow out due to someone putting the transmission an a lower gear to slow down the truck. REB was installed when this happened. I got this transmission off an auction vehicle a few ago. I have the parts from this transmission and parts from another transmission in boxes taking up space.
So I want to take all these extra parts and make a complete transmission. In the process of me rebuilding this transmission, would anyone be interested in me taking photos and video through each step. (if it has never been done before)
I will be using the manual TM 9-8025-2 with change one. Since the transmissions are already dissembled, I’ll be going through the inspection section and the reassembly section of the manual. I will (always do) follow the manual to the tee, I will not show short cuts, But since I do not have All the special tools required, I can show ways of doing a step properly (by getting the same end result only by using a different technique). Since this transmission in not going into a vehicle right away, I’ll have time to document every step.
Since I have all the parts available I will point out any special interest anyone of you might have.
One special interest I’ll show by video and photos why to never use Hi reverse.
One area that I wont go into as it was covered over and over plus over and over again is the type of oil to use in the transmission. I’ll be putting 30w non-detergent motor oil in it when I’m done, end of story on the subject of oil to use.

Anyone interested please let me know, also all pictures, CDs and what ever else I do will be free to everyone.

hippiedude

YES !!!! Most interested in this rebuild......Pics and video would be great !!! I too have a 52 m211 so this would be a great subject to follow.... Thanks Tim

stephenfeldmeier

Yes you're right Carman'

The m211 and 135 both use the same transmission, according to TM 9-8024 operational and organizational maintenance manual P22. Chapter 5, the only difference between the M211 and M135 is the rear brake drums assemblies and the cargo box design. other than that, mechanically they are both the same.

badgmc56

Yes, Looking forward to a copy also. I have a rebuilt unit sitting in my garage waiting to go in this spring.It already has a REB-SHIFT kit on it. Anything I should know before installing it? Memphis parts catalog says the ckeck valve and spring between the two torus halves are no longer needed. Do you recomend this? Thanks Bob

stephenfeldmeier

Due to the number of individuals that has shown an interest, I'll start this project after the Holidays, this gives me time to figure out a lay out, get my notes in order and set up my work space for photography . Also I'll have to order all the gasket and seals from Memphis Equipment, so that will take a week or so. Hopefully this will be done by the end of February. Anytime I tear into a transmission, I always replace the seals and gaskets.

stephenfeldmeier

Bob, After looking in the transmission manual TM 9-8025-2, I can not find anywhere it's says to leave these parts out. Since it's a check valve and spring, I don't know what effect this will have as far as oil pressure building up in the Fluid Coupling. My rule is this, even thought the Memphis Equipment Parts catalog says it's no longer required, I have to see it in writing and a reason why in a maintenance manual for me to leave a part out of a component. If a came with it. I'm putting it back in. So my straight answer is this, No I don't recommend that you leave the parts out if you still have them. It's not going to hurt anything if you do put them in, but I don't know what effect they have leaving them out. Why take a chance. It's a pain bolting the transmission to the engine in the first place. No reason to do it twice if you don't have to. The two transmission I rebuilt I have reinstalled the those components. Now as far as your REB kit do you have the instruction that came with it for Installation ? Is your REB kit is already on thee transmission, just make sure you have the holes drilled for the gear selection lever on the control tower.

badgmc56

Thanks Steve for the advice. I don't like leaving parts out either. I just didn't know if they found that the trans performed better without it. I'm going to install it the same way it came out, with the check valve and spring. The REB SHIFT kit is already installed in the trans, all I have to do is mount the shifter on the tower. Thanks again for the info.

stephenfeldmeier

Ordered the gaskets and seals from Memphis equipment toady for the transmission. While I was on the phone with them, I asked about the check valve situation between the torus halves. Their reply was back in the 50's when Detroit came to Memphis equipment to hold a class on how to rebuild the transmissions; the person from Detroit said the experimental transmissions had some parts that were made with a metal alloy that was subject to expansion when the transmission reached operating temperature. To solve the problem, a check valve was installed between the two torus halves. Once the transmission was in production and the parts were that were effected by expansion because of the heat, were changed to a different alloy of metal, the check valve was no longer required.
Again this statement aroused 10 more question, from what serial number to what serial number of the transmissions were effected, and were all the effected transmissions retro-fitted with the newer parts? If not, what parts were effected and how do we identify the parts? Were any of these old alloy parts sent out to supply depots and were they installed in the later transmissions?
Like I said earlier, if the component came with that part, that part will be reinstalled in that component, unless I see it in writing for the reason why, it’s going back in.

I'm going to research this further, I even have too many unanswered questions now.
Steve

stephenfeldmeier

reverse

Throughout this project, when I come across a subject that has been debated or warned about, I’ll try to use the parts off the transmission or use a diagram such as this cut away of the transmission. So this topic is REVERSE.
Here’s the skinny how reverse works, and why not to use HI REV.

THE PLAYERS: Reverse Gear = GREEN
Reverse Forcing Cone = RED
Stationary Cone = ORANGE
Planetary Gears = BLUE

Here’s how it works for those of you who never had the opportunity to see the inside of this transmission.

In NORMAL OPERATION the Forcing Cone (RED) is held away from the Reverse Gear (GREEN) by spring pressure and the Reverse Gear (GREEN) is free to turn in the same direction as the transmission output shaft.

When reverse is selected, The Forcing Cone (RED) is hydraulically forced into the Reverse Gear (GREEN). This pushes Reverse Gear (GREEN) against the Stationary Cone (ORANGE). Since the Forcing Cone (RED) and the Stationary Cone (Orange) both have a brake shoe type lining. This pinching action stops the Reverse Gear (GREEN) from turning.

Since the Reverse Gear (GREEN) can no longer turn, (it turned into a stationary ring gear) all the force now is through the Planetary Gears (BLUE) which causes the transmission out put shaft to rotate in an opposite direction.

So, what about HI Reverse? Remember the transmission out put shaft goes into the reduction gear section before it goes out the transmission to the transfer case. Picture yourself getting on a 10 speed bicycle, you have only two gears, 1st gear and 10th gear. Let’s say the first thing you do is to select 10th gear. Now we have all done this, remember how much leg force it took to get the bike moving? Ok picture this, the Reverse Gear (GREEN) being the pedals of the bike, we selected HI Reverse, a lot of force on the Reverse Gear (GREEN) to get the truck moving. The Reverse Gear (GREEN) will break where the Forcing Cone (RED) and Stationary Cone (Orange) pitch it.

HI / LOW
1st gear---- 4.08 to 1 -------------- 15.67 to 1
2nd gear -- 2.63 to 1 ---------------- 10.05 to 1
3rd gear –--1.55 to 1 ---------------- 5.95 to 1
4th gear --- 1 to 1 ------------------- 3.82 to 1
Reverse --- 4.54 to 1 --------------- 17.35 to 1

Attachments

hippiedude

Thanks... now I know why !!!! I was told not to use Hi reverse , but no reasons why ....Where the parts still available for a complete rebuild ? thanks :) Tim

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man, this is a great read! I don't even have a early deuce, but it's great having access to this information in case I ever do. Thanks Steve!

stephenfeldmeier

Thanks for the kind words Chris, you and everyone else who responded is going to make this project fun and enjoyable to do.

Also great news everybody! Going over to the storage shed today and I'll be bringing back two 885-FFg carburetors, a Delco-Remy distributors or two, the air pump, and a starter or two that need to be rebuilt, plus I have a spare engine, transfer case, 4 or 5 differentials, and a complete front axle that we can disassemble and rebuild those also. So when we get done rebuilding the transmission, we'll have a bunch of other fun projects to do.

FUN WITH THE DEUCE!! You gotta love it!!!!

Of course its all for the M211's and M135 series trucks.

I just want to add this reminder, the pictures and videos that I'll be doing, by no means will replace any maintenance manual, it will just add color and movement to a black and white world of the 50's era of maintenance manuals. Also like I said before I will be following the tech manuals to the tee.

carmen

Steve

I was thinking, can you possible make and post a detail list of all the parts that will be needed to rebuilt this transmission? Since you are not going to start this until after the new year, that would give some of us a chance to work "Side by side" with you. This way we can ask and post pictures of our transmissionas you are builting yours. This way if we get stuck, we can be more or less keep up with you.

Carmen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks