• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding for dummies

shadow

I’ll jump in here. I’m taking welding at the local collage right now. We were told to always bevel the edges on anything thicker than 1/8” to ensure a proper penetration. Your talking sold bars but if the edges were just butt jointed, you would not have much penetration at all. I would bevel them if it were me.

Were I’m going, we start out with stick and do a brief A/O cutting, and then go to advanced stick, then your AWS bend test. Then you can start MIG then A/O welding, brazing, and then TIG. I skipped the AWS test and did some of the MIG welding including spray and globular. I had to go to aluminum because we only have 1 pulsed spray machine and it was being used. I LOVE spray transfer on steel. It is hot as hell but makes great looking welds and is so quit. I totally hate aluminum right now. I will never buy anything made out of it after seeing how fast it melts. I really need more practice on it. I am now doing the AWS bend test this term.

I’m wondering about this talk about stick welders. I thought it was the lowest class, so to speak, of a welder. I actually prefer stick. I think it is way easier them MIG. It does have its down side but I love the “Christmas tree” weave. I did it perfect (visually) the very first time I tried it. I love it when you can just tap the weld edge and the slag just falls off in one piece or when you’re running beads and the slag curls up as your welding and you have this big tail with little swirl marks in it.

I have gotten some slack from people when they hear I’m doing stick. Maybe it’s because of all the people around here that claim there welders and have never been taught or looked at a book before. I’ve seen a lot of people that played up how great of a welder they are before I started taking classes. Now that I have been welding for awhile and know what welds should look like, there welds were horrible and probably would pop off the first time stress is put on them. A neighbor of mine had to weld a piece on my snow plow mount last year. He said he is a master welder and pipe fitter.:roll: He had a 110volt MIG with 70amp max rating using flux core .030 wire saying he welds truck frames with it. His weld broke on the very next use. I brought it back and he welded it again, and it broke right away again. I took the piece off that broke and there was probably 1mm of penetration in the welds. I told him I'll weld it with my arc welder this year and he thinks my welds will not hold at all using a stick welder.:cookoo:

m35tech

I had not welded in years prior to starting my humvee build, so off to the JVC I went, and I relearned in the first 2 days what I had forgotten over time, shortly after i bought new welding equipment, welders Millermatic 210, and a 175, an arc welder ac/dc and safety gear, nice helmet.. I mean nice, and alot of patience, on welding take your time, and be safe... safety first....

tanglediver

That is a nice mount but my question is with solid bar steel did you champher the edges to ensure deeper penetration? When I weld heavy bar stock I always do to ensure I get a few passes in and deep roots.
That stuff is 3/16" thick tubing. I put a little bevel on the edge to about 1/8". Then I left a 1/16" gap before laying a root bead with TIG. I went over the root bead with a couple more passes with the TIG welder to fill the gap to just flush with the surface.

m35tech

best thing practice , practice, practice, and practice on non structural parts, find some different types of scrap metal, so you can get used to wire feed and voltage on your mig, Miller also has a forum that is pretty good as well, and good customer service,

connectingbar

If you are willing to travel to NY, I could put you on my crew erecting a few buildings on FT Drum and I could teach you every aspect of welding you need to know in a month or so. Problem is that you will have to weld in the rain, snow, high wind, sleet 100ft in the air 10 hrs a day. All kidding aside, welding takes practice. Go out and get yourself the book "Modern Welding" a 150 amp Lincoln mig welder with gas and some scrap steel and have fun. Everything you weld can be done with the mig besides main structural members. If you were to do some heavy duty welding, I would find someone close to you that has the experiance. I have been welding all my life and there are situations that I have yet to encounter. Do'nt bother with a trade school just practice and you get the feel.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Also should add, Do not weld galvanized steel just to practice. It gives off fumes that are bad for you. I didn't know it when I started and could have done alot of harm to myself.

Orionspath

Mike, I have a buddy 20 some miles south of you in Luray that might be willing to teach you some hands on welding. Heck I even have a few things that need to be done and he could show you how to "stick it" This might be a spring board into getting you into a vocational exercise @ NOVA. Let me know and I will get you Mike's cell number.....Pete

m35tech

welding

Well if you want a road trip to Ohio, your more then welcome to stop by my place and you can see what im building and learn some things for welding, Mig, Tig, and Arc welding, and how to use a plasma cutter too, just always wear safety Gear

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks