• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fayetteville GP Pickup

tscott8201

Just rolled the dice on an MEP-803a from GP. So it looks like I'll be making a road trip from Jacksonville, Fl to Fayetteville, NC and back next week sometime. The unit is trailer mounted and the photos of the trailer show it's in good shape, but my gut is telling me not to trust it on such a long road trip. I'm assuming the smart man would bring a trailer to carry it home?

What do you all think? Would you chance a long road trip with a surplus trailer in tow?

Also, has anyone picked up from Fayetteville before? Do they typically have a forklift around to assist in loading? Once again, my gut tells me I should bring a come along with me to get the unit on my trailer. Probably smart right?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk to bikeman. He's local there and frequently does pickups.

Make sure that it is actually located in Fayetteville. My trailer that was listed as Fayetteville was actually located at Camp Lejeune. Camp Lejeune only does loadouts on Thursdays. I arrived in NC on a Friday.

I've frequently towed auction trailers long distances. Most recently today, 500 miles. This is not advisable(do as I say, not as I do). If you have a gooseneck, that'd be optimal.

tscott8201

Talk to bikeman. He's local there and frequently does pickups.

Make sure that it is actually located in Fayetteville. My trailer that was listed as Fayetteville was actually located at Camp Lejeune. Camp Lejeune only does loadouts on Thursdays. I arrived in NC on a Friday.

I've frequently towed auction trailers long distances. Most recently today, 500 miles. This is not advisable(do as I say, not as I do). If you have a gooseneck, that'd be optimal.
I'll know more details today after I pay and go through the pick up scheduling process. I've been doing plenty of reading and you can bet I'll be calling to verify the location before I leave.

I don't have a goose neck but my 19' car hauler should do fine.

Tom

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's at Fayetteville I would consider getting with bikeman to pre pickup it takes forever to get on base.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's on base, it can suck, and I'd be willing to pick it up and drop it off with you. Most of the gen trailers I have seen recently, just came out of service, so I wouldn't be too concerned towing it that distance. I mean, you'll need to check the basics, but, bring a set of magnetic tow lights and a pintle, and you should be GTG.

That being said, I'm out of town until Halloween.

If it's at AAA Towing or whatever, you'll be fine, they man that one 4 mornings a week I think.

There are either forklifts or other trucks that move stuff around the yards, so you'll be ok if you decide to put it on a trailer. The guys are usually pretty helpful, as long as you're not a thorn in their side. (IE not following the rules, missing appt times, showing up when you're not scheduled, etc...)

tscott8201

Trailer is an M116A3. Looks like the pintle ring sits roughly 25" off the ground with the trailer level. Should be just about right for my F250 Super duty. I think I'm leaning towards just hooking her up and hauling her home. I've got AAA if I have any issues and I'll bring some basic tools with me along with some wheel grease.

Tom

Chief_919

Take the common stuff:

Wheel bearing large
Wheel bearing small
Race for large bearing
Race for small bearing
Wheel seal

Magnetic trailer lights

Spare tire- any CUCV 8 lug or common chevy 1 ton wheel works

7/8 lug wrench

3/8 bolt or pin to lock out the brakes in case there is an issue with the surge brake system

2 lengths of chain with snap hooks, about a foot each, to lengthen your safety chains. In most cases using a receiver hitch pintle the stock ones don't reach. I keep a set like this in the trailer box just for that.

tscott8201

So how'd it go?
Everything went smooth. Drove up the night before, got a few hours sleep and got into base first thing. Felix was a joy to work with and gave me a bunch of pointers about the gen and helped me get it hooked up. Hauled back home with no issues. Ran 70 mph the whole way home and the hubs didn't even get warm. I've got a thread in the auxiliary equipment section detailing repairs to the unit but long story short, it's in great mechanical shape and runs like a top. Next step is to wire the house and do some load testing.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks