• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Purchase and Build Thread - Virginia

Lowmaks

Well, this is terrible...even if my M1123 did survive all the tornados ripping through the area at which it's currently stored, Virginia is actively trying to impede my use of it...for no gain, I might add...the very definition of malicious. The universe is keeping me from my dream truck lol

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would seem GP has one heck of a problem. Seems to me that they need to title and Register in their name and then sell it to the owner and they are responsible for the taxation and double registration costs from all previous m1123 auctions.

If they are going to play in the game with out a motor vehicle seller/ dealer license and sell an "on Road" clear title advertised truck then they need to keep their word or change their auction description.

jeffy777

It would seem GP has one heck of a problem. Seems to me that they need to title and Register in their name and then sell it to the owner and they are responsible for the taxation and double registration costs from all previous m1123 auctions.

If they are going to play in the game with out a motor vehicle seller/ dealer license and sell an "on Road" clear title advertised truck then they need to keep their word or change their auction description.
Let's not eat our own. GP is not the problem. GP is a resource. And this is a issue that will be resolved.

I would tell anyone one who has been turned down by a DMV to smile and walk out and go to that or another DMV. People love to have power and some DMV people sometimes like to say NO. It gives them some power. Never fight a or argue with a DMV employee, it is like pissing into the wind; you say to yourself I gotta go but too much gets on you.

The issue with the HMMWV will be resolved as well. It will be a little fight, but in most states it will be legal to own and drive a HMMWV. Let's exclude CA from that they have a totally different mentality. They will see it as a new pollution and want to stop it for that reason. But even then they will allow collectors to have and drive on road over time.

MaverickH1

I have no desire to drag GP through the mud on this, although I don't feel knowledgeable enough to know one way or the other. They got me a clear GA title just like they said they would, and I don't think it falls on them to make sure my state isn't a bunch of idiots. I think it could have gone smoother with them, and I have my criticisms of how they handled things, but overall the job got done.

I will say that when I filled out the title form three of the spots were: Sales price, processing fee, sales tax.

When I put GP's transaction fee in the box that said processing fee, that was a big thing that made the DMV clerk's eyes pop open, probably since that was a much higher "processing fee" than she's used to seeing. She asked to see the invoice, upon receiving the invoice and seeing GovPlanet on the letterhead they started changing the conversation to "DMV headquarters says all GovPlanet vehicles must go through them".

It's my opinion that I'm up against a DMV that is trying to declare all Humvees as "Off Road Use Only" because they've read papers like the one Michigan put out. When I challenged them on that and could show them that my truck was never "Off Road Use Only" they are being stubborn and wanting to stick to their original word, so they took a day or two and came up with the FMVSS excuse. Now since I got my title and plates, I'm letting it lie and not pushing the DMV further unless they poke back. However, my congressman is.

In the end, I have to know an answer because I plan on putting money into this truck, and I do not want to be sitting in a limbo waiting for some bureaucrat to bring the hammer down onto the pinnacle of my vehicle dreams and a large chunk of my family's financial future.

DanM7890

DMV's are horrible places to go. My question to the OP was if your willing to spend that money on a truck that comes with a "clear" SF-97 or even a title for that matter why not buy local? I get it, it won't be a Marine truck with stock a/c. But you could have avoided all this by getting a clean title within or a state close by. Prob could have gotten a cheaper truck.

DanM7890

Not "stock" but the option is already installed and they have the a/c coming from the Dash vents which isn't an option with the M998 red dot kits.

MaverickH1

DMV's are horrible places to go. My question to the OP was if your willing to spend that money on a truck that comes with a "clear" SF-97 or even a title for that matter why not buy local? I get it, it won't be a Marine truck with stock a/c. But you could have avoided all this by getting a clean title within or a state close by. Prob could have gotten a cheaper truck.
To keep it short, I was willing to pay a premium to have a medium duty 2005 truck with 81 miles and the latest and greatest in steering, suspension, seating, and powertrain upgrades. That had significant appeal to my intended use over a 3 speed Humvee from 1992 with 30,000 questionable miles from 200 different drivers. The monetary difference was $25,000 vs $18,000.

An added bonus was that my truck never, ever said "Off Road Use Only" on any piece of documentation. So if there was a crackdown on those grounds I might be able to slip through the cracks.

Better truck in an almost unused state, less risk, more money, more work to get it ready. It was an easy choice for me to make since VW will be giving me $22,000 for my diesel emissions scandal car soon.

DanM7890

To keep it short, I was willing to pay a premium to have a medium duty 2005 truck with 81 miles and the latest and greatest in steering, suspension, seating, and powertrain upgrades. That had significant appeal to my intended use over a 3 speed Humvee from 1992 with 30,000 questionable miles from 200 different drivers. The monetary difference was $25,000 vs $18,000.

An added bonus was that my truck never, ever said "Off Road Use Only" on any piece of documentation. So if there was a crackdown on those grounds I might be able to slip through the cracks.

Better truck in an almost unused state, less risk, more money, more work to get it ready. It was an easy choice for me to make since VW will be giving me $22,000 for my diesel emissions scandal car soon.
All valid points, I was just curious. I am on the other side of the wall. I like buying it and modifying the truck the way I want. But I can see your side as well.

MaverickH1

All valid points, I was just curious. I am on the other side of the wall. I like buying it and modifying the truck the way I want. But I can see your side as well.
There's no reason I can't have it both ways. :)

If I upgrade the powertrain of the Humvee, the 6.5 and 4L80e will be going into my 82 Suburban. Upgrades all around. :)

MaverickH1

Finally trimmed and cut down trees so I could get it down to our stream and access the other half of our little bit of property, including the shooting range.

In other words, UTV ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

One rock I had to go over probably sticks out of the ground 15", so the 16" of ground clearance was nice to have. Although I have the ability to blast it and remove it, I might leave it just for fun... Making trails is going to quickly become a favorite for me...

20.jpg21-f.jpg22-f.jpg23-f.jpg

Videris

Finally trimmed and cut down trees so I could get it down to our stream and access the other half of our little bit of property, including the shooting range.

In other words, UTV ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

One rock I had to go over probably sticks out of the ground 15", so the 16" of ground clearance was nice to have. Although I have the ability to blast it and remove it, I might leave it just for fun... Making trails is going to quickly become a favorite for me...

View attachment 664235View attachment 664236View attachment 664237View attachment 664238
Looks like you had a pretty fun day bro. Jealous of the property you have. Waaay cool!

Sintorion

Hey Maverick, when you titled yours in GA first, did you do that with a SF97? and if so did your SF97 have your name as the purchaser or IP? Reason I ask if FLA is giving me a hassle about the SF97 having IP on it and not my name. They are telling me that IP has to have it titled in their name first then I can get it titled since the SF97 is in their name. Just curious to know if the ones they are selling from the USMC are different in process than those from DLA.

MaverickH1

Hey Maverick, when you titled yours in GA first, did you do that with a SF97? and if so did your SF97 have your name as the purchaser or IP? Reason I ask if FLA is giving me a hassle about the SF97 having IP on it and not my name. They are telling me that IP has to have it titled in their name first then I can get it titled since the SF97 is in their name. Just curious to know if the ones they are selling from the USMC are different in process than those from DLA.
The purpose of the title is to establish who is the legal owner of the property. The SF97 is a "Certificate to Obtain a Title" which is basically the government's release of ownership of the property to the named party on the SF97. That party on the SF97 is not you. Some DMVs require a bill of sale or an invoice from Iron Planet which proves that you purchased the vehicle from IronPlanet and are therefore the legal owner. Some DMVs require a "Dealer Reassignment Letter" which is basically IronPlanet on their own letterhead saying "we sold HMMWV serial # _______ to Sintorion for $_______ and attached is the invoice that shows proof of the transaction". Sometimes the Dealer Reassignment Letter does not suffice and you need a Dealer Reassignment FORM which is usually specific to the state in which you are attempting to title the vehicle. Which then gets complicated because IronPlanet is not actually a licensed dealer of automobiles and therefore cannot complete the form properly...

It's a friggin' mess.

If you look earlier in the thread, IronPlanet promised me a Georgia title before I bought the vehicle and that's what they delivered to me, as VA is one of 13 states that supposedly does not accept SF97s for titling documents. However... my local DMV says they deal in SF97s ALL THE TIME.

Sintorion

I think DMVs are complicating this more than needed. When I talked to the regional office her in Fla today they first tell me there is nothing they can do for me which I knew wasn't off to a good start. I then had to reference a memo that was sent to them by the state and they said "oh you want that one". Then we got into the specifics of them saying that my name had to be on the SF97 or I had to have a title in my name. This didn't make any sense because I know if I buy a car, I don't have to title it and can resell it. In any case I will have to wait for the SF97 to arrive then I can move on to the next step. At least it should be easier for the next person.

It must be a relief for you to be done with yours.

MaverickH1

I think DMVs are complicating this more than needed. When I talked to the regional office her in Fla today they first tell me there is nothing they can do for me which I knew wasn't off to a good start. I then had to reference a memo that was sent to them by the state and they said "oh you want that one". Then we got into the specifics of them saying that my name had to be on the SF97 or I had to have a title in my name. This didn't make any sense because I know if I buy a car, I don't have to title it and can resell it. In any case I will have to wait for the SF97 to arrive then I can move on to the next step. At least it should be easier for the next person.
It must be a relief for you to be done with yours.
Unfortunately, I don't know that I'm done. The last word while I was getting the title while simultaneously talking to another rep was that they were in the process of revoking plates from Humvees and send out a notice. So... I don't completely know my future. But I am following up with my congressman to get it taken care of.

MaverickH1

Now my congressman's aide is starting to sound like a DMV rep. I'm sticking my neck out a little bit to fight this since I already have tags and a title.

He is saying that the letters he's seeing about the Humvees do talk about federal regulations in their reasons for revoking plates. When I asked whether the letter singles out Humvees he mentioned that they impacted trailers and other military vehicles as well, supposedly. He tried to say that the Humvee was designed for off road use, which I corrected him was not the case and I've got paperwork from the manufacturer in 1985 that proves it.

This is going to be a fight.

:tank:

ryanruck

Now my congressman's aide is starting to sound like a DMV rep. I'm sticking my neck out a little bit to fight this since I already have tags and a title.

He is saying that the letters he's seeing about the Humvees do talk about federal regulations in their reasons for revoking plates. When I asked whether the letter singles out Humvees he mentioned that they impacted trailers and other military vehicles as well, supposedly. He tried to say that the Humvee was designed for off road use, which I corrected him was not the case and I've got paperwork from the manufacturer in 1985 that proves it.

Good to hear you're sticking with it!

It's kind of hard to deny these trucks were designed for majority on road operation when AMG says so and the NHTSA affirms it twice.

That PDF cwc posted has been very informative. FYI, if you hadn't noticed, a couple of the links in it are dead but searching for the address on Bing or Google will turn up a cached copy of the page.

The facts are definitely on our side in this. It's just going to take some work to prove it! Keep up the good work!

#GreenTrucksMatter! :mrgreen:

Sintorion

Are you talking state congress or Fed?

I do love that they make that claim about a vehicle that has turn signals, high/low beam head lights, running lights, brake lights, a windshield, seat belts, etc. Seems to me if you are designing a vehicle for off road only use there would be no need for that. Not to mention that many of these used on military bases never go off road and we see them routinely on state roads when used by the military.

Last edited:

jeffy777

I think you are poking the wrong bear. I do not believe any congress person has much weight on state DMV rules. When you ask someone for something they may want more than one vote, so they will try to figure out what is best for them. If we poke a bear... and messing with a government person is poking a bear (has nothing to right or wrong) they act litigious and self serving. They will always take the route of best for them. So, I would try to get a group of people together in VA. If the group is large enough, fun loving, and a good group of voters then bring in State Senators and Delegates and have a good time with them and make your case. Otherwise we will fail. :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks