• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armor near Harrisburg-there's Tigers in them hills

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Saw these on the west side of RT15 just south of Harrisburg, PA. My spousal unit throught I lost it when I slammed on the brakes.

The 'Tiger' is actually what appears to be a T34 mock up of a Tiger. It maybe one of the tanks used on Saving Private Ryan.

The SdKfz-251 /1 Ausf D is probably a OT-810. There was a second halftrack that looked like a SdKfz-251/9 Ausf D. I think it also is a converted OT810.

There were also some Opel Blitz trucks, a 105mm leFH18, and a 20 mm Flak 38.

Anyone on the website own these items???

Attachments

spicergear

RE: Armor near Harrisburg-there

Yep, it's an equipment dealer south of Dillsburg, between Mechanicsburg/Camp Hill and Gettysburg. Seems like a couple of years ago the armor started appearing. Used to drive by there a few times a week.

No.2Diesel

RE: Armor near Harrisburg-there

A Tiger I is actually quite a bit bigger than a T34. If not mistaken a T-34 is 9ft wide and a Tiger I is over 11ft wide. For a movie its pretty good.

A Konig's Tiger is over 12ft. wide! No wonder they needed transport tracks.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone interested, just search on GOOGLE VIDEO or YOUTUBE on "Panther" or "Tiger tank" or "King Tiger tank." There are videos of real tanks that have been restored. I would hate to even think about what those types of vehicles are worth. Over a million bucks I'd guess...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I have some friends that collect WWII armor, and use them in reenactments and "tactical events (imagine a life-size chess game) - and they are equipped with live - firing weapons (blanks for these events of course). I've gone with them to a few events and had a blast (pardon the pun). My work load this year hasn't permitted me to do much of this, but some of the guys did mention that some members of the op-force had bought one of the SPR "Tigers", imported it and was using it at some of these events. Wonder if this is its lair?

Bruce, there are only something like 7 actual German Tigers left, and I believe all are in hands of various government entities worldwide. Littlefield is restoring a Panther, and the cost of this not-finished project past a million long ago. Genuine German armor from WWII is incredibly expensive - and rare.

Regards,
David

No.2Diesel

Here is a list taken from Wikipedia of surviving King Tigers and their locations:

*Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset, England. Tiger II (Porsche turret) displayed in interior location accessible to public on payment of entrance fee to museum. This was the second prototype Tiger II made and did not see active service.

*Kubinka Tank Museum, Russia. Tiger II (production turret), possibly a command version with turret number 002 (502) captured at Ogledow by the Soviet Army. The museum is open to the public with restrictions. Foreign visitors must request permission to visit 3 weeks in advance.

*December 44 museum, La Gleize, Belgium. Restored Tiger II (production turret) in open air location accessible to public. Hull number 280273, built in October 1944. Turret number 213 from SS s.PzAbt. 501. This tank was abandoned in La Gleize on 24 December 1944.

*Defence Academy of the United Kingdom, Shrivenham England. Tiger II (production turret) in military collection not normally accessible to the public. This vehicle was from SS s.PzAbt. 501 with turret number 104. It was knocked out near Beauvais by Sergeant Roberts of A Squadron, 23rd Hussars. This vehicle is currently on display at Bovington Tank Museum.

*Deutsches Panzermuseum, Munster, Germany. Tiger II (production turret) displayed in interior location accessible to public on payment of entrance fee to museum. Hull number 280101. Turret number 121 from SS s.PzAbt. 101.

*Musée des Blindés, Saumur, France. Only surviving Tiger II in running order (production turret). Displayed in interior location accessible to public on payment of entrance fee to museum.

*Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, United States. Tiger II (production turret). Hull number 280243, built in September 1944. Turret number 332 from SS s.PzAbt. 501. Abandoned near Trois Ponts, captured by US Army on 24 December 1944. Later moved to Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. Eventually transferred to the Patton Museum. (Tank hull and turret are cut open for view of interior.)

*Full Schweizerisches Militärmuseum, Switzerland. This Tiger II (production turret) was previously displayed in the Thun Tank Museum, and is now on loan to the Schweizerisches Militärmuseum Full (September 2006). It will be completely restored to running condition in a long-term project. This tank was given to Switzerland by France after the war. Hull number 280215 from s.PzAbt. 506.

*Kevin Wheatcroft Collection, Leicestershire, England. Kevin Wheatcroft is a private collector. He is about to start a restoration/rebuild of a complete Tiger II. The project will include parts from many individual Tiger II's, many parts will also be of new manufacture. Kevin Wheatcroft has stated that he has 70% of the original parts needed for a reconstruction and more parts are sourced continuously. Known and shown parts are a complete front glacis plate, 8.8 cm KwK 43 main armament, engine deck plates and approx. 1/3 hull (rear) in one part. The aim of the project is a complete Tiger II in running order.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I should have been more specific in my posting, I was referring to Tiger I (as SPR), not Tiger II.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks