• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

dma251

Well - my hemtt restoration is finally getting some traction in the last few weeks.

I've got the new transmission in place and connected with a newly shortened and balanced driveshaft that is a whopping 1.5 foot long... For those of you that don't remember, the transmission I removed was the stock HT740D Allison 4 speed auto, but the new trans is a HT750CRD 5-speed which is slightly longer. The additional length is in the extension visible at the tail, and take note of the custom fabricated adjustable rear support preloaded at 200 lbs. to support the rear of the tranny. I've also got all new Morse cables for the trans and transfercase and a new Morse Maxx shifter so I can take advantage of all 5 ranges instead of the old 4 position shifter.

The new radiator is almost done being constructed, and is just waiting on the powdercoating shop to finish coating the tanks and fan shroud. I am also having all the engine's coolant hard-pipes and thermostat housings, radiator fan, etc sandblasted and powdercoated.

I've got all new hoses w/stainless t-bolt clamps, thermostats, gaskets, engine belts, filters, etc. for the engine that we will put on at the same time as we install the new radiator. Finishing it all off with a fresh coat of Detroit Diesel Green. I just got done pressure washing the bejesus out of the engine in preparation for painting it on Monday.

I've also decided to have Jet hot coatings ceramic coat the inside and outside of the entire exhaust system, as it is pretty heavily rusted. They are amazingly inexpensive, and I've had them do stuff for me before and there quality is the best out there.

Last week we removed the cab so I can have some minor dents and dings worked out of it before I strip it down to the bare metal and sandblast and powdercoat/rhinoline the interior and epoxy-primer and paint the exterior. It should be ready to head off to sandblasting on Tuesday of next week.

The cab support structure on the front of the frame is obviously in need of some attention, so that will get removed and sandblasted and powdercoated too at the same time.

This project has taken a while to really get moving, as I had to do some pretty major earth moving at my house just to get a garage up to house this truck while I paint it and begin enjoying it. THe best thing I've done is find a shop I really trust to start doing the heavy lifting, so I can focus on the parts that I really enjoy - the electrical and detail work. I'll post pics as I go along over the next couple weeks. If it starts to bore you or hog up too much bandwidth just let me know and I'll skip to the finished product!

My plan is to convoy this truck down to Portland Oregon for the MVPA national convention in August. I hope see all you guys there!

Attachments

dma251

DanMartin said:
Awesome! Think you'll have it ready by August for the convention?

Nice seats...:)

Oh yeah... I don't want to jinx it, ,but August shouldn't be a problem. According to the schedule and budget as of right now - barring any more MAJOR issues, I should b e driving it again in about 2 - 3 months, and spend most of spring and summer fine tuning it...

I think you guys are gonna really like some of the unique plans I have for it. I'm not gonna be deviating from it's original mission or appearance, but I am putting some "updated" electronics on board. Pretty much how they are set up currently...

Jones

Very impressive, Damon. Top notch workmanship!
Are you gonna be set up to haul the baby HEMTT around behind you; kinda like a Geo Metro being dragged along behind a Winnebago?

dma251

Jones said:
Very impressive, Damon. Top notch workmanship!
Are you gonna be set up to haul the baby HEMTT around behind you; kinda like a Geo Metro being dragged along behind a Winnebago?
Anyone that has ever seen the Baby Hemtt would never confuse it with a Geo Metro!!!

They both would sure look good in a convoy going down the highway, though...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Damon:
I abolutely loved your posts on your previous 5 ton and this post tops those great shots. Your old truck was one for the shows too did a Steel Soldiers guy get it?

I love the HEMTT the support the whole family of vehicles provides to the Army is a testament to the Oshkosh Corporation. It is so cool that you are doing such a wonderful job getting this baby back into prime shape. I have seen these trucks as they first came on line in the Army and to see you have one is just fantastic. Please post a picture of your garage project too I know you were working on that way back in the 5 ton posts. Great post and keep the pictures coming.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great, having a lifting/handling device at hand makes all the difference.

So, the hump in the cab is only for cooling air to the engine, I noticed this on Leonard's Baby HEMTT? On my 8x8 the engine is located in this spot, also placed lower for a lower CG. Love the comparison, keep the pictures coming, please.

Attachments

dma251

cranetruck said:
Looking great, having a lifting/handling device at hand makes all the difference.

So, the hump in the cab is only for cooling air to the engine, I noticed this on Leonard's Baby HEMTT? On my 8x8 the engine is located in this spot, also placed lower for a lower CG. Love the comparison, keep the pictures coming, please.
Yes - it is a straight shot from the grill in the center of the skidplate (which of course is not on in any of these pics) straight back to the MONSTROUS radiator that sits directly vertical behind the cab and in front of the engine. The radiator goes all the way from the frame rails to the top of the cab.

If you look at the one pic that shows the back of the cab still mounted on the frame, it has an opening on the top of the cab also for draw air in from the roof. that is one of the major differences (also the entire cab mounting structure is significantly different) from the HEMTT cab and the LVS cabs. The LVS and PLS have the radiator mounted horizontally over the engine and use a hydraulic cooling fan to draw in air, so they have no opening at the top of the cab. The interior spacing inside the cab is also quite a bit different.

Here's two pics to show some of the differences. First is an LVS cab - it has a much deeper tunnel between the seats. You can barely see the passenger from the driver's seat without leaning forward. It has no need for a top opening.

Second pic is my HEMTT cab - totally different. The tunnel doesn't protrude into the interior compartment near as much, and Vee's back in the center so you can see easily over to the passenger.

Third pic - This is a good depiction of how shallow the rear tunnel is on the rear cab wall on the Hemtt.

IT IS ALSO A GREAT DEPICTION OF WHAT YOUR FACE DOES THE FIRST TIME YOU DRIVE YOUR NEW HEMTT!!!!!

This literally was the first time I drove the truck back when it lived and slowly degraded in sunny california... I don't know who's happier - me for having bought it, or the truck for being rescued from a certain doom...

Thanks for the good words- I'll keep the pics coming as things start taking shape 'til ya tell me to stop...

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great pics of your progress, Damon. Some folks would have been content with a quick scuff and repaint, but you are definitely taking it to the next level! Keep up the good work!

I can't wait for you to post some vids with that big ol' 8v92 roaring.

Jones

maddawg308 said:
That is just too cool. But we hate you. We all hate you very much. :)
Ahh, envy is such a sad thing.
Damon, I think we need to add another item to the list of HEMTT accessories.
I'm seeing paper bibs like you'd get in a seafood restaurant; but with a picture of a HEMTT on them instead of a lobster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks