• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

JDToumanian

Great parts list... Interestingly, although the TM says to use OE/HDO 40 oil, the Oshkosh manual for the 55000 series transfer cases says:

"Refill with motor oil conforming to API service SE-CC, SAE 50, (MIL-L-2104C). Do not use hypoid or E.P. gear lubricants. Avoid mixing different brands. For subzero arctic operation 0 to -65F use arctic oil MIL-L-46167. Check oil level every 2500 miles or 125 hours of operations. Every 5000 miles or 250 hours drain housing while hot."

I am going to use Rotella T1 sae 50 weight in mine, as that oil exceeds the SE-CC and MIL-L-2104C specs (which are outdated).

Regards,
Jon

Stalwart

There are probably some yellow metals in there, the older EP lubricants were hard on yellow metals. "SAE 50 motor oil" is the same general viscosity as "SAE 90 gear oil" without the extreme pressure additives.

Last edited:

Stalwart

Because when my truck was rebuilt there weren't such parts available. Even all 4 fenders were custom made from Oshkosh blueprints but of one gage thicker material. Current rebuilders have it easy with readily available parts, we had to have them custom made or pay Oshkosh a fortune.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Great parts list... Interestingly, although the TM says to use OE/HDO 40 oil, the Oshkosh manual for the 55000 series transfer cases says:

"Refill with motor oil conforming to API service SE-CC, SAE 50, (MIL-L-2104C). Do not use hypoid or E.P. gear lubricants. Avoid mixing different brands. For subzero arctic operation 0 to -65F use arctic oil MIL-L-46167. Check oil level every 2500 miles or 125 hours of operations. Every 5000 miles or 250 hours drain housing while hot."

I am going to use Rotella T1 sae 50 weight in mine, as that oil exceeds the SE-CC and MIL-L-2104C specs (which are outdated).

Regards,
Jon
I used T1 rotella 0w-40 for a little bit. I have been seeing 230 degrees while towing at 80k+

Gauge range is 140 to 290 degrees in the green.

I am going to try some mystik SAE 50 synthetic blend and see if it helps some on Temps. May even add a cooler to the mix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks